Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuild of Evangelion

God damn the first part was great, not just that some part's was newly animted, to me it looked like was the whole part was new, or maybe a few part's was the same as the orginal episodes, but whatever

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    it seemed that way because everything IS newly animated.. its just that many (~80%?) scenes did also appear in the original series as well... however in less good quality. (or lets say in a quality fitting for a anime-series which was produced 13 years ago

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I wanted to watch this ages ago, but all the torrents had really crappy seeds for some reason, or were just bad overall.

But never fear, THORA is here. (In all its HD glory)

http://www.thoranime.org/?p=1182

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Saw this at a friend's place over the weekend (downloading it myself now). I thought I had had enough Eva for a long time, so the two of us were only sort of paying attention.

Holy. Shit.

Everything about the anime is redone in massive ways. Well, subtle in appearance, huge in terms of overall feel and effect. I think KrayZ33 is downplaying it considerably.

- Seas near Tokyo 3: Blue in the first series. Blood red at the opening of You are Not Alone. That doesn't happen in the first series for a long time (End of Eva).
    - Tokyo 3 for that matter, is a far more militaristic and defensible city. Where before it was largely defended by nearly worthless JSDF forces, Tokyo-3 has a greatly increased functionality for gun emplacements, its own defense batteries, among other things.
    - When Tokyo-3 descends into the shell below, you see enourmous cylindrical supports roll out of the way. Previously, it was only the sliding pins keeping the city in place. In terms of actually producing a city like Tokyo-3, this is a lot more realistic in how one could actually support a skyscraper from above and below. The rectangular pins alone would have never have held it up from below.
    - Misato and Shinji flip her precious Renault Alpine back over in a mound of ash created from the N2 mine, where previously it was merely dirt.
    - NERV HQ is complete overhaul. The place is drawn to a much larger scale, and you can see atmospheric effects in the background as the characters ride down the huge escalators.
    - Unit 1 does not fight Shamshel (squidy Angel, yes I looked up the name) starting out with the lame and pointless assault rifle. They give Shinji something actually useful, an enormous gattling gun. In terms of tactics, it actually makes more sense that the crappy assault rifle would be a backup weapon rather than a primary. Plus, we get a very vivid picture of a shell crushing a car.
    - The training eva is a freakish partially formed eva! Before it was just a lame plug cylinder with a few extra bits attached to it. That changes a lot about the series seeing something like that so soon.

- Most importantly, Ramiel (didn't have to look this one up), was worlds more elaborate. No longer a simple octahedron with a generic extendible drill, Ramiel was a believable crystaline life form. It didn't look like an alien spaceship, it looked alive. That, and it puked blood. A lot of blood, and all over the school.

Shinji is still a huge pussy, but that's not going to change so I can focus on the tech and subtle differences while I'm not paying attention to the parts of the actual story and character development that stayed the same.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    2.0 is airing this month btw (if I'm not mistaken)

btw did I really downplay it that much?
    hmmm I didn't mean to...

but for me the "basics" were the same
    (at least if you leave out the storyline differences...the moonbase for example)

At the beginning there is the scene with the 3 military commanders and one of them crushes a pencil and so on (it's taken 1:1 from the original series but with better quality of course) and thats what I was trying to say

and as I said there were new scenes too
    for example the scene with the gatling gun, and 9/10 of the fight against Ramiel

oh gawd, the scene where the defense systems attacked this "angel-fortress" was so cool ^^
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Wed, 06-10-2009 at 02:38 AM.

The HD version is indeed quite stunning visually. Well worth waiting, no matter how long waits. The visual differences compared to the original are remarkable - it's good they took everything out of the modern possibilities. It really benefitted the story telling as well, and not only because it drew some attention away from Shinji's troubled psyche.

I'm looking forward to the next episode and Asuka. It's a good thing they have the original voice actors still playing the roles. Although knowing that Rei is voiced by Lina Inverse's VA makes listening to her kind of funny: You can't really find a pair of characters much more different than that. Good work, but still when you listen carefully to Rei, you easily catch Lina there.

I still don't like how 'Shikinami Asuka Langley' sounds though...

Screw finals, I'm watching this!

-Firstly, I read that they kept the original VAs, but when I heard them speak, it just sounded plain weird. It took me a minute or two to realise that I actually watched NGE in English all those years back. I got used to it in no time, however.

Needless to say, Ayanami Rei sounds a LOT sexier.
    <<Rei fanboy meter +9000>>

-I managed to see most of the differences Ryll pointed out, and it was definitely visually improved. Shamshel this time has smaller, life-like insect legs too, much better than the generic big pillar legs that it doesn't even use for flying anyway.

-Also, I must have forgotten to tape this when NGE aired on our Multicultural Channel back in '97, because it's the first time I've seen Shinji fight against Ramiel.

-Hence, I was strapped in for 30mins of awesomeness

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    -Also, I must have forgotten to tape this when NGE aired on our Multicultural Channel back in '97, because it's the first time I've seen Shinji fight against Ramiel.
    Speaking of tape reminded me of the fact they didn't change Shinji's portable cassette player to an mp3 player. I was almost expected them to do that, but I guess it's too integral to the visuals of the show to change. Although I don't remember whether it was digital already in the original. Maybe it was, or maybe it was a small concession made in this new version.

I liked how they kept his tape player amidst all this "upgrading". There's just something about him playing it over and over again.

I just remembered something about Pen-Pen too. Did he always have his own room? I swear in the original he lived in the fridge.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Thu, 06-11-2009 at 03:09 AM.

Hmm... I think he had his own (cooled) room also in the original, although for some reason when Shinji opened the fridge door I remembered Pen-Pen for the first time.

Yeah I grabbed it over the weekend and I loved the Thora release. I cant wait for the subsequent movies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Speaking of tape reminded me of the fact they didn't change Shinji's portable cassette player to an mp3 player. I was almost expected them to do that, but I guess it's too integral to the visuals of the show to change. Although I don't remember whether it was digital already in the original. Maybe it was, or maybe it was a small concession made in this new version.
    You don't need to rewind an MP3 player, so the metaphor gets lost.

Also I'm rather baffled at the people praising the visual upgrades or major shifts in the first film. Most of the footage is straight out of the TV show. The only real differences are the CG backgrounds (which will age terribly), the CG Ramiel (which will also age terribly but looks kind of cool at the moment) and a few exposition scenes and slightly expanded moments that are set in new locations. Most of the time it looks virtually identical to the TV show, both art and animation-wise.

Blog Entries
    So, what exactly is this? A visual update on the anime?

If so, what will 2.0 be? A continuation of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    So, what exactly is this? A visual update on the anime?

If so, what will 2.0 be? A continuation of this?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Long version:

It's an alternate retelling. In this tetralogy (4-movies), the first 3 will more or less cover the events of the TV-run, with improved visuals and slightly different story. (I scrapped "slightly" because the original was only mostly intact for this movie, and the end was significantly different already.)

The 4th movie will be an entirely new ending.

As for naming:
    1.0 = cinema release
    1.1 = DVD release
    1.11 = Blu-Ray release

2.0 = second movie, cinema release, continuation.

----------------------------------------

Short version:

It's different, MUST WATCH.

So theres going to be a 2.0 a 2.1 and a 2.11 ?

Blog Entries
    I wasn't that big of a fan of the original but i'll give it a look

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma
    So theres going to be a 2.0 a 2.1 and a 2.11 ?
    I can only assume so.

End of evangelion 2.0 equals more Rei <3
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Well wasnt a fan of Evangelion, but .11 was eyecandy and the Operation Yashima was pimpin awesomness