Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: What I don't get...

I don't get how lava lamps work. People say that its heated to a certain temperature that causes the blobs of wax inside to radically change shape and flow through the solution, which I assume is water. Can anyone explain this to me?
    I am training in the shadows.
    Currently playing: All of your games, probably.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The cycle of rising and falling wax continues as long as the temperature differential remains sufficient. Operating temperatures vary but are normally around 60 °C (140 °F). If too low or too high a wattage bulb is used, the lava ceases to circulate, remaining at the bottom (too cold) or rising to the top (too hot).
    Hmm, so this is why my Lava Lamp has been declining to the bottom lately. Thanks for the find, much appreciated.

Why do people browse the forum hidden?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    Why do people browse the forum hidden?
    That's a good question, I always believe that members hide because they don't want to be notice or to busy to respond so instead of being notice and wondering why the member who is sign in not posting they just hide themself in the mist of lurking

When customers go into the pharmacy they have a tendency to be sick ,"well just majority of them" so why do stores have the pharmacy setup all way in the back of the store?

it's very inconveient just thinking about perspective of old people having to go way in the back for there meds day in and day out while they sell cigarettes infront of the store making it very convenient for others
    "The End Justify The Means"

because a lot of the things you get at a pharmacy may be things you don't want the world to know you're getting...so they try to set it up such that it can be more discrete.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    because a lot of the things you get at a pharmacy may be things you don't want the world to know you're getting...so they try to set it up such that it can be more discrete.

now thinking about it your right, especially situations where someone has "something" that don't want the whole world to know
    "The End Justify The Means"

To my knowledge:

1) Pharmacies don't sell cigarettes (In Australia anyway)

2) Setting the dispensary at the back makes people walk through the shop, potentially eying other products.

3) You'll often have to wait for 5-10 minutes to get your prescription.Having people crowd in the back is better than having them crowd the front shop, driving off potential customers.

4) As you said, most people who go to pharmacies are there to get medication. The vast majority of their turnover stock are medicines. Locating the dispensary at the back also eases stock holding and restocking.

5) What Assertn said

Do you accept the excuse "because I'm lazy"? Many people seem to seek out questions that are accompanied by simpleton answers like "'cause I don't want to" or "too much of a hassle". What do you guys think of that? I personally don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadouku
    Do you accept the excuse "because I'm lazy"? Many people seem to seek out questions that are accompanied by simpleton answers like "'cause I don't want to" or "too much of a hassle". What do you guys think of that? I personally don't get it.
    I don't get it.

No really, are you saying you don't get why people give such simple and nonexplanatory answers, or why people ask questions knowing that's how they'll get replied, but ask it anyway?

The former because it's just weird how a querky answer gets used a lot in simple situations.

For example, as you prepare for work, you ask someone to finish the chores that you started. They say, "Yea, I'll do later." For the whole day, after coming back home, you are baffled to see that the chores aren't even done at all. You ask why he or she didn't do it, and he or she replies with, "Because I'm watching TV!" Not the best example, but nevertheless, an example.

The former because it's just weird how a querky answer gets used a lot in simple situations.

For example, as you prepare for work, you ask someone to finish the chores that you started. They say, "Yea, I'll do later." For the whole day, after coming back home, you are baffled to see that the chores aren't even done at all. You ask why he or she didn't do it, and he or she replies with, "Because I'm watching TV!" Not the best example, but nevertheless, an example.
    It's mostly an answer to something you have none, or where you'd rather not tell the truth. I use it sometimes, though it's often true when I say "Because I'm lazy."

Most of the time it's "because I don't feel like it", but then some people ask why.

Basically, an excuse to cover up for why you didn't do it. Thanks for the input!

I disagree. That's honesty. It's no real excuse to say "Because I'm lazy" as it will do nothing but make you look bad and unreliable. A real excuse is something like "I had to finish this other thing first" even if you actually had no other thing to do or it took all three minutes to finish it, and you lazed the rest of the time. Nevertheless, the aim is to make it appear as if you were too busy to handle what you were told to do, and so it wasn't your fault it didn't happen. But being lazy is always your fault.

Besides, it has always kind of bothered me when somebody asks you to do something that isn't urgent at all and it doesn't matter when it happens, yet still expects you to drop your own stuff to do it immediately, instead. And then when they come back and it's not yet done, as you planned to do it later when it's more convenient for you, they don't understand and consider you lazy.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    That kind of answer bothers me most when it's in response to something like sending an email.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Besides, it has always kind of bothered me when somebody asks you to do something that isn't urgent at all and it doesn't matter when it happens, yet still expects you to drop your own stuff to do it immediately, instead. And then when they come back and it's not yet done, as you planned to do it later when it's more convenient for you, they don't understand and consider you lazy.
    Eh, I rather wash dishes before they smell or take out the trash before the house becomes infested with rodents and other bugs, but I do see your point. However, it's not really plausible for something that can be done in, say, 1 minute (taking out the trash). For something else, it depends on the situation.

Normally on a Saturday, if someone says they'll see you next Saturday, it doesn't matter if they mean the next Saturday, aka coming Saturday, or if they meant it as a short form for next week Saturday (alternatively, Saturday next week).

In the above scenario, both cases point to the same day.

In different scenarios, it causes annoying confusion and repetition.

So how do you guys use the term. Is there a set way? Does its use vary traditionally from country to country (like the "starting" day of the week does?).

Edit: This thread can be a bitch to find. The word filter excludes the words WHAT, I and GET, leaving you with don't, which yields no results.

Hmm, the way I say it is just "See you next Saturday!" Most of the people around my area will understand it as being the next Saturday after today. For Saturdays on the same week, I would say "See you on Saturday!" It would indicate that it would be this upcoming Saturday, and not the next Saturday after the first.

Alternatively, if someone wanted to specify a Saturday, I would normally say the date, like "I'll see you on the 29th!" It could be culturally diverse among different societies, though.

That's pretty much the way it's around here. If the week has already started, you can just say on saturday and everybody knows it's the saturday of the coming weekend. If you happen to be living saturday already, then it would sound strange to say on saturday, and thus you'd say next saturday. If it's friday already, then most would say tomorrow. If you said next saturday it might leave someone wondering whether you meant the next day or a week later.

A friend of mine said this to me:

"Hey, I want you to solve this and get exactly 24 using these numbers: 25, 6, 6, and 8. You can only use +, -, *, and / once, as well as the numbers. Happy hunting!"

I'm stumped now.