Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: What I don't get...

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Akerfeldt is a demon.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

What I don't get is, is it pronounced "Code Gay-ass" or "Code Geees".

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title darkmetal505's Avatar
    I mix them and say "Gee-ass"

It's like pronouncing "Gay ass" with a British accent. I like to Americanize it because the Japanese should have known not to make a word that.. when Americanized sounds that way.

It's actually pronounced like.. Gee-ahss, but there's no fun with that

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    What I don't get is, is it pronounced "Code Gay-ass" or "Code Geees".
    If I'm not mistaken, it's a Celtic word, so it would probably be "Geh-ahs".

Edit: Well according to Wikipedia it's a corruption of the words "geis" and "geas", and the entries on those words say they're pronounced "Gesh".

That is, with a "sh" and not an "s" ending.

Edit: "E" is not "EI". I'm a Linguist and should know better.
    Last edited by XanBcoo; Thu, 09-18-2008 at 06:12 PM.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

Pronounce?

well, someone went into a long thing about it.

Except, Wikipedia doesn't say that's exactly where the word came from.

"Geass" may be an intentional corruption of the word geas or geis, a term for a type of magical contract in Irish mythology.
    So it's their thought on it, it also doesn't go directly into the pronunciation of the word.

Giasu also makes me think it kinda ends with an s sound.

I kinda don't think it's a Celtic word, though. I think it's just emulated off of one.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaitne
    So it's their thought on it, it also doesn't go directly into the pronunciation of the word.
    If you follow the links for "geis" and "geas", a pronunciation is given in IPA. It's identical to the one that is given in the link you posted. I was mistaken earlier when I looked at that page, thinking there was a dipthong after the "e" vowel, but it seems like it's "Gesh" after all.

Case closed.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

"If it doesn't kill you it can only make you stronger." - someone rips your arms and legs - have it made you stronger? i really hate this proverb and i don't understood it sheer stupidness.
    I also don't get fashion trends(does any metalhead understounds them?) its just way to get cash for you for chloths that would not sell otherwise.
    Also i don't get xbox fanboyism(and ps3 one too - but in my opinion ps3 is better) - you get weaker console than ps3 and no motion control and you have to pay to play online.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Quote Originally Posted by Xelbair
    "If it doesn't kill you it can only make you stronger." - someone rips your arms and legs - have it made you stronger? i really hate this proverb and i don't understood it sheer stupidness.
    Have you ever like....went to the gym before?
    Or taken some sort of risk with potentially great rewards?

Also if someone rips your arms and legs out, it will probably kill you.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

That, or you'll suicide from being called stumpy so much.

The PS3 is a better console. Better specs, semi-motion control, slick design, Blu-Ray capability, no RROD problems. However, it's library is shit compared to the 360's, and they don't have any solid exclusives besides MGS4.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    It only works if you're not a dumb ass who can't learn from it.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn
    Have you ever like....went to the gym before?
    Or taken some sort of risk with potentially great rewards?

Also if someone rips your arms and legs out, it will probably kill you.
    yeah i did some hi-risk activities(with not that big rewards but still) and i have been to gym before - this proverb works only for lesser things i agree, and if someone rips your arms and legs and you will get fast medical attention you will live, and it wont ever make you stronger.

also for xbox360 better games library - it had 1 year head start so its normal, also most of those games are for pc too(the ones i'm interested in)
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

If they rip your arms and legs off and you get cybernetic replacements, that would certainly make you stronger. I think the $6 million man only had a robotic hand and thigh, and was a superhero.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

if someone rips your arms and legs and you will get fast medical attention you will live, and it wont ever make you stronger.
    If you truly get over it, it makes you a stronger person on the inside.

What I don't get is, is it unhealthy to eat shrimp where they don't butterfly it and remove the shit trail?

Do you all eat shrimp with the shit trail still present?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    What I don't get is, is it unhealthy to eat shrimp where they don't butterfly it and remove the shit trail?

Do you all eat shrimp with the shit trail still present?
    I don't think it's that bad really, but I've got no evidence to support it.

I really don't care if it's got the trail on it or not. Which ever way it's done, I'll eat it. I haven't had to cook shrimp myself before, but give then chance I'll probably just do whatever takes my fancy.

I notice in restaurants that deshelled prawns always have their trail removed, while the dishes served with intact prawns leave it...well...intact.

May sound like an obvious thing to do for some people, but it must have crossed myself as well as others to ask if we should cut down the back and take the trail, but leaving the rest of the shell on?

On a side note, I'll eat most parts of a shrimp/prawn. I don't always choose to, but I'll eat the flesh, shell, legs and tail. The head doesn't get swallowed, but I suck it dry.

How does the head taste? I've never brought myself to eat any heads or come close to it.

Shrimp heads aren't usually eaten, though sucking them dry is common.

It's kind of hard to describe, since it's mostly a cavity filled with whatever sauce it's cooked in, plus whatever organs/brains is inside. It's got a prawn flavour, since you can usually smell it on your hands if you handled them, but it's kind of different from the regular meat. Probably tastes more like the tail.

It's been too long since I've had one to describe accurately, but I'll remember to give an account of it here when I do.

Edit: Ever had the inside of a crab? Not the pincers and legs, but the stuff under the main shell that's not muscle. Or when you scrape the underside of that shell. It sort of resembles that. (though again, slightly different)

Sounds interesting.

My cousin likes lobster brain, but I'd probably never bring myself to eat that shit. It's like green and mushy.