Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: What I don't get...

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Most of the shrimp I've seen served around here has been at least partially peeled and deveined. Which I've got to say is probably the greatest possible euphemism for disembowelment.

What I don't get is why people stay on the gas when the person maybe 3 car lengths in front of them is on the brakes on congested highways at rush hour. I mean ... all you're doing at that point is making yourself brake harder in a couple seconds... it isn't gonna get you there any faster.

I used to do that, until my dad corrected me about it. Usually I would gas it until right before a stoplight. Having to pay for my own gas was another reason I quit doing it. Now I coast for a few hundred feet to the stoplight.

Quote Originally Posted by animus
    My cousin likes lobster brain, but I'd probably never bring myself to eat that shit. It's like green and mushy.
    We used to eat certain food in dimmed light, so we couldn't see what we were eating. One such delicacy was baby chicken eggs, with the embryo fully formed into a young chick. The yolk was the delicious part, but people would eat the entire thing. Kind of gross thinking back on it.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Welcome to shitty wok can I take ya orda pree?

Andrew Zimmern of the show Bizzare Foods loves those half-born eggs. He says it's like a boiled egg times 10. I should make a thread about that show actually...

What I don't get is when I go to the bank and three or four lanes of the drive-thru are open but everyone's piled in one lane. Then I just coast through the next lane and get my deposit/withdrawal, often before the the first car in the lane even gets his. This obviously doesn't bother me, but damn, who wants to sit in line at the bank all goddamn day?
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    1) What goes up must come down.
    2) An object launched with a certain velocity straight into the air will undergo deceleration due to gravity. Then, it will accelerate at the same rate, landing with the same initial velocity it started with.

What the hell happens to all the bullets people random shoot into the air?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Didn't you ever as a kid play the fancy game of trying to shoot straight up with a bow and then excitedly make sure you won't get hit when the arrow comes down?

With an initial speed of 700m/s or so, there's no telling where a bullet will drop but in any case it would be extremely bad luck to receive one. The area of a person isn't very large for an object dropping from above, after all.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Oversimplifying your model is usually bad. Air resistance (both against the flight path and against the projectile's spin), as well as the diameter and weight of the bullet and the trajectory it's shot will determine how it comes down.

It it's a rifled barrel and the spin doesn't dissipate over the course of the flight, it could very well remain ballistic, and would fly at the terminal velocity of a projectile of its size and weight. But if the spin stops and it's even a little asymmetrical, it's likely going to tumble coming down, dropping the terminal velocity even more. At any rate, terminal velocity will be slower than muzzle velocity.

Still, could be dangerous to bystanders, for sure.

Add to this weapon parameters - bullets don't always hit in same spot(forgot the eng word for this)...

What i don't get is fanboyism/fangirlism without proper arguments. Its especially annoying on polish main gaming\game shop site(gram.pl) - one of mods there always starts fanboy flamewar.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

What I don't get. My little sister. Its a very long story but I'll try to keep it short. For the last week she has been going on to me about her up coming chemistry exam, which was this past Friday. Anyway she has to declare her major soon and being the busy body she is she can't make a decision, it certainly would help if she wasn't good at everything but no she has to have the Midas touch. Anyway somehow she decided she would decide on a major based on the results from the various exams she had this past week . Not something you want to decide your major on but whatever. She was leaning towards chemistry but was getting some pressure from her professors to be a physics major since physics majors in her school seem to come around about once a decade.

Anyway sometime Friday night/Saturday morning I don't know which, she checked her grades online and apparently she got a 52.5 on her Chemistry exam and freaked out, and freaked out is an understatement. Anyway I was just laughing at her the whole time, which in retrospect seems cruel but it was really hilarious since everyone knew instinctively that there was some mistake and her results got mixed up with someone else's. Anyway she took it as a sign from God, those were her exact words, that Chemistry is not for her. Now me being the voice of reason that I am, told her to just relax and talk to the teacher today. This morning after talking to her professor, it turns out he really did get her grade mixed up with someone else's, according to her his excuse was he was waiting on a flight at the airport when he decided to post her grades and apparently caused a bit of chaos when a bunch of people got incorrect grades.

So back to the phone call this morning, she doesn't call to apologize for going on like a mad person earlier, she doesn't say you were right and he got my grades confused with someone else. She calls complaining about .5, I'm like what .5 and then she proceeds to tell me she got a 99.5 on the exam and she was arguing with the professor about the missing .5

Back to what I don't get. Somehow, somewhere along the line it was decided that it would be best if I chose her major for her, so little old me who avoids her like the plague just so I don't get into situations like this suddenly has this dropped in my lap and I still don't understand how the hell it happened. Anyway thats my story, anyone understood a word of what I said?.
    Last edited by Abdula; Mon, 10-20-2008 at 05:46 PM.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Awesome user with default custom title The Heretic Azazel's Avatar
    Your little sister sounds intolerable.
    "They call it 'The American Dream' because you have to be asleep to believe it" - George Carlin

I get a lot of grief for saying it, but she definitely is.

Still she is my little sister.
    Sapphire is awesome!

God has issued her a challenge. ask her if she's gonna sit around while god messes with her brain, or if she's gonna study chemistry and find the virus to kill him.

and in less comical manner, she's good at chemistry, she cares enough to argue about the 0.5 points, she should major in it.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Her mother wants her to do something tangible, like accounting or business management. She now wants to do biology and/or psychology. And like I said the problem is that she is good at everything but I'm trying to stay as far away from this as possible.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    I dread the day my sister gets to choose what to do with her life. She wants to be a pop star at the moment, and her mom has encouraged it completely, almost ignoring her amazing scholastic achievements.

What I don't get is why a lot of traffic lights have a single bulb for yellow lights, but an array of LEDs for the red and green lights.

Maybe it's just that way in my area.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

What I don't get is why you both said "her mom" instead of "our mom". Unless, you guys have different mothers or something. Nothing major, just something I thought was a little strange.

Awesome user with default custom title XanBcoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animus
    What I don't get is why you both said "her mom" instead of "our mom". Unless, you guys have different mothers or something. Nothing major, just something I thought was a little strange.
    Mine is technically my half-sister. I would assume Abdula's case is the same, or maybe they're step-siblings.

<@Terra> he told me this, "man actually meeting terra is so fucking big", and he started crying. Then he bought me hot dogs

No no, I just like to say "your mom" because our mom still treats her like a baby. Bring you breakfast in bed, tuck you in at night kind of thing.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Abdula

Back to what I don't get. Somehow, somewhere along the line it was decided that it would be best if I chose her major for her, so little old me who avoids her like the plague just so I don't get into situations like this suddenly has this dropped in my lap and I still don't understand how the hell it happened. Anyway thats my story, anyone understood a word of what I said?.
    Tell her she doesn't need to decide her major for two years. If she really doesn't know, then she can just get all of her required classes like English and Social studies out of the way. And if she decides not to do science, at least she has a semester's worth of required science credit.

PS - But if she's Chemistry she should probably complete taking Chem now, cuz next year it's Organic chem then Pchem/Bchem, depending if she's a biocemist or just a normal chemist. Then senior year it's just independant research stuff. Bio is an easier major she can consider, and is less rigorous in course load.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Biology is way too much memorization. Chemistry isn't much different, though it requires you to string concepts together to learn the material, and biology doesn't.

I would agree with Sapphire about not rushing on declaring a major since it could decide your career path, but don't push it off too long. If you take all the English/History/Foreign Language classes in the first two years, you won't be able to use them as filler in your junior and senior years when you're taking difficult courses that apply to your major. Also, if you decide on a major after 2 years, it increases the likelihood you will take longer than 4 years to complete a degree, since upper level classes have prerequisites that could take a few semesters to acquire.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Abdula
    Her mother wants her to do something tangible, like accounting or business management.
    With banks and businesses going down like weeds before a scythe, chemistry certainly sounds a lot more tangible than accounting or business management (although god knows sensible accounting and business management would have been needed in the past).

Which is exactly why I put it in italics Kraco
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire
    Tell her she doesn't need to decide her major for two years. If she really doesn't know, then she can just get all of her required classes like English and Social studies out of the way. And if she decides not to do science, at least she has a semester's worth of required science credit.
    Well she is already in her second year, the required classes are already out of the way and she has to declare this year. Oh and Ani thanks to her crazy workload, she already has her prerequisites for whatever she is likely do. Whether its psychology, biology, physics or chemistry she is covered. Heck she could even do music or theater, she is pretty well rounded.

Anyway thats enough about her.

Oh and for the person who asked. Yes she is hot
    Sapphire is awesome!