Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TV/Movie General Discussion

Nah that's pointless so let's just get back on topic.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

You are irritating. Just noticed your edit by the way and since you are just going to deflect I am not even going to bother. Just wanted to mention that V for Vendetta was indeed a great movie that was well received by both fans and critics but it did not make a lot of money. Certainly nowhere near Iron Man numbers so by your logic it was not a success because we have to rate these things by how much money they made. Sheesh.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Awesome user with default custom title UChessmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    He looks more Italian or Greek than anything. Apparently there's debate about it: do-you-think-lex-luthor-is-black-in-justice-league-651759/
    "Black" is a skin color, not a nationality, he can be greek, italian or whatever and also be black.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax
    What was the point of mentioning V for Vendetta? It was a good movie, but financially it barely broke even. Not sure if it was considered a success or not.
    That superhero movies can be great and stand the test of time.

They did better internationally but the domestic market is still the largest determinant of success in Hollywood studios' eyes.
    How so? in Hollywood eyes, what`s the difference between making 100 mil in USA and making 100 mil in Russia? Can you imagine?

Employee 1: Guys, we have our first weekend number, our movie that costed 20 mil to make made 200 mil this weekend!

Employee 2: That`s amazing! looks like we hit the jackpot, we should tell our writers to start working on the sequel.

Employee 3: Hold it one second! where did all this money come from?

Employee 1: Well... uhm... most of the tickets were sold on France.

Producers: France!? FUCKING FRANCE!? that`s it, cancel the whole thing! call the media, make a press conference, we need to apologize to the world ASAP.
    Last edited by UChessmaster; Tue, 05-14-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

Quote Originally Posted by Abdula View Post
    You are irritating. Just noticed your edit by the way and since you are just going to deflect I am not even going to bother. Just wanted to mention that V for Vendetta was indeed a great movie that was well received by both fans and critics but it did not make a lot of money. Certainly nowhere near Iron Man numbers so by your logic it was not a success because we have to rate these things by how much money they made. Sheesh.
    V for Vendetta was a good movie to those who saw/reviewed it, problem was that not many people saw it. It's like Arrested Development: those who watched it love it and it was critically acclaimed, but it was still considered a flop and cancelled. I think you're confusing cult favorites with mainstream success. Mainstream success is still judged by how much money was made to determine how many people saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by UChessmaster View Post
    "Black" is a skin color, not a nationality, he can be greek, italian or whatever and also be black.
    What is with you people? He's not black in that he's not Negroid. He's Caucasoid.
    That superhero movies can be great and stand the test of time.
    V for Vendetta is hardly a "superhero" movie, though it is a comic book movie. And whether or not it stands the test of time remains to be seen, it was only released in 2005. Is it a surprise it is loved by anti-establishment folks like you and Abdula? Among the normals, it wasn't that well received.

How so? in Hollywood eyes, what`s the difference between making 100 mil in USA and making 100 mil in Russia? Can you imagine?

Employee 1: Guys, we have our first weekend number, our movie that costed 20 mil to make made 200 mil this weekend!

Employee 2: That`s amazing! looks like we hit the jackpot, we should tell our writers to start working on the sequel.

Employee 3: Hold it one second! where did all this money come from?

Employee 1: Well... uhm... most of the tickets were sold on France.

Producers: France!? FUCKING FRANCE!? that`s it, cancel the whole thing! call the media, make a press conference, we need to apologize to the world ASAP.
    I'll chalk it up to you being a foreigner, but Hollywood movies judge success in the domestic market well above international numbers. Advertising, celebrity, etc are more important in the US market than anywhere else.
    Last edited by Animeniax; Tue, 05-14-2013 at 04:08 PM.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

V for Vendetta costed 54 mil to make, it opened on march 19 and by may it made 70 mil. It wasn`t avatar economically, but i wouldn`t say "barely" break even.
    You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful. -Marie Curie

V for Vendetta costed 54 mil to make, it opened on march 19 and by may it made 70 mil. It wasn`t avatar economically, but i wouldn`t say "barely" break even.
    Once again I'll chalk it up to you not being from here and not knowing how things work in the movie/tv industry here. Shit you're still wondering how the domestic market is more important than the international market to American movie studios. Making $70mil on a movie that cost $54mil is barely breaking even by Hollywood standards.

What is with you people? He's not black in that he's not Negroid. He's Caucasoid.
    You people? what`s that supposed to mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people

The color black is not limited to negroids, when you said black I figured you meant all black people, not an exclusive group... my bad?

V for Vendetta is hardly a "superhero" movie, though it is a comic book movie. And whether or not it stands the test of time remains to be seen, it was only released in 2005. Is it a surprise it is loved by anti-establishment folks like you and Abdula? Among the normals, it wasn't that well received.
    It is a superhero movie, why wouldn`t it be?

I'll chalk it up to you being a foreigner, but Hollywood movies judge success in the domestic market well above international numbers. Advertising, celebrity, etc are more important in the US market than anywhere else.
    That doesn`t answers why, at all. I`ll ask again; what`s the difference between an american movie making 100 mil in USA and 100 mil in Russia? RE clearly is a success to Hollywood regardless of where it made its money considering they made five (FIVE!) movies, with a 6th one on its way.

Once again I'll chalk it up to you not being from here and not knowing how things work in the movie/tv industry here. Shit you're still wondering how the domestic market is more important than the international market to American movie studios. Making $70mil on a movie that cost $54mil is barely breaking even by Hollywood standards.
    To break even it would have to do about double of its production cost at least, since half of it goes to the movie theaters. However, it`s not just about movie tickets, you`d also have to add in DVD sales and related merchandise, if you consider all that, V for Vendetta is way above breaking even. Did I miss anything?

You people? what`s that supposed to mean?
    You people arguing every little point is exhausting.

It is a superhero movie, why wouldn`t it be?
    Anti-hero movie maybe. Nothing super about V.

That doesn`t answers why, at all. I`ll ask again; what`s the difference between an american movie making 100 mil in USA and 100 mil in Russia? RE clearly is a success to Hollywood regardless of where it made its money considering they made five (FIVE!) movies, with a 6th one on its way.
    No, I decided it wasn't worth the effort to explain further. It's kind of the same reason Playstation sales in Japan mean more to Sony than sales in the rest of the world.

To break even it would have to do about double of its production cost at least, since half of it goes to the movie theaters. However, it`s not just about movie tickets, you`d also have to add in DVD sales and related merchandise, if you consider all that, V for Vendetta is way above breaking even. Did I miss anything?
    Making $16mil over a $54mil production cost in the domestic market is not a success by Hollywood standards. Again, this goes back to having an understanding of Hollywood, which you evidently are not familiar with.

No, I decided it wasn't worth the effort to explain further. It's kind of the same reason Playstation sales in Japan mean more to Sony than sales in the rest of the world.

Making $16mil over a $54mil production cost in the domestic market is not a success by Hollywood standards. Again, this goes back to having an understanding of Hollywood, which you evidently are not familiar with.
    I kinda wish you would explain further. I am genuinely interested with what you have to say about it.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

You people arguing every little point is exhausting.
    That`s what happens when you have a weak argument, it crumbles under any scrutinium.

Anti-hero movie maybe. Nothing super about V.
    Nothing super about Batman.

What? Where do you get all this info? And why isn`t it worth the effort? As a person with zero understanding of Hollywood and the foreign market`s insignificant value, I`d like to know.

Which is why we have five (FIVE!) RE movies, yes?
    Last edited by UChessmaster; Tue, 05-14-2013 at 06:47 PM.

That`s what happens when you have a weak argument, it crumbles under any scrutinium.
    No, that's what happens when you argue with people who lack basic understanding and factual knowledge of what they are talking about. Gulldurn foreigners. It's like arguing with 3rd graders. No offense to the 3rd graders.

Nothing super about Batman.
    No argument here, except Batman fought Superman, participated in team efforts to save the universe, and has been around since 1939, so the "test of time" is relative. The first 4 Batman movies were completely forgettable. The last 3 will probably be on "best of" lists for years.

What? Where do you get all this info? And why isn`t it worth the effort? As a person with zero understanding of Hollywood and the foreign market`s insignificant value, I`d like to know.
    It's from living in the US for 30+ years. Look at the earnings figures for some of these movies. The domestic totals are often equal to the international total. 300 million Americans pay as much or more than the remaining 6.2 billion people in the world for the same movie.

Which is why we have five (FIVE!) RE movies, yes?
    Movies don't have to be a huge success to get a sequel. Shit there were 3 Underworld movies and they were all terrible. There are always niche markets where money can be made. That doesn't equate to success, but profit is profit and enough justification to make more terrible movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Assertn View Post
    I kinda wish you would explain further. I am genuinely interested with what you have to say about it.
    As interested as we are in hearing about the chump change you make on stocks. Are you a millionaire with all that wheeling and dealing yet?
    Last edited by Animeniax; Tue, 05-14-2013 at 08:27 PM.

You sound angry, it`s ok, I would be too if my arguments were this terrible.

Nah, just sick (flu I think). Stay on topic.

Also keep in mind that movies made in the US are generally aimed at a US audience. Do you think the Patriot armor or Iron Man in general gets the Brits or the Chinese all excited with patriotic fervor? Does the typical Frenchman support Superman and his pursuit of truth, justice, and the American way?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animaniax
    Movies don't have to be a huge success to get a sequel. Shit there were 3 Underworld movies and they were all terrible. There are always niche markets where money can be made. That doesn't equate to success, but profit is profit and enough justification to make more terrible movies.
    Money can be made != barely broke even then, which is where this was going. How much "profit" becomes "success" was another matter. The point (latest point, anyway) about V's 16million was that it was closer to "making money" than "breaking even".

The missing piece here Ani, is that we don't know how you can vouch for Hollywood (because you are evidently not Hollywood). Money is money. Hollywood may want to target the US market if they're the bigger movie-goers with large spendings on movies, but that simply means they go for where the money's at.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    The missing piece here Ani, is that we don't know how you can vouch for Hollywood (because you are evidently not Hollywood).
    It`s because he`s 'murican!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Money can be made != barely broke even then, which is where this was going. How much "profit" becomes "success" was another matter. The point (latest point, anyway) about V's 16million was that it was closer to "making money" than "breaking even".

The missing piece here Ani, is that we don't know how you can vouch for Hollywood (because you are evidently not Hollywood). Money is money. Hollywood may want to target the US market if they're the bigger movie-goers with large spendings on movies, but that simply means they go for where the money's at.
    Only kinda. We're talking about what constitutes a success. Making a profit is not the same as a success, not in an industry focused on hundreds of millions to billions of dollars. Some actors/actresses get $20 mil for a role, and this movie can't even muster that in profit in the domestic market? Not a success by Hollywood standards.

You can doubt my understanding of Hollywood but it remains that you're from foreign markets that do not have a film industry anything like what we have here. You get the scraps from our movie industry. So you can take my word for it, which you won't, or you can google it.

It`s because he`s 'murican!
    Next we'll discuss the social and economic problems in your backwards little country and I'll doubt everything you say even though you've been living there and experiencing it firsthand your whole life. I say your country is still 3rd world because all the people there are lazy. Prove me wrong.

Only kinda. We're talking about what constitutes a success. Making a profit is not the same as a success, not in an industry focused on hundreds of millions to billions of dollars. Some actors/actresses get $20 mil for a role, and this movie can't even muster that in profit in the domestic market? Not a success by Hollywood standards.

You can doubt my understanding of Hollywood but it remains that you're from foreign markets that do not have a film industry anything like what we have here. You get the scraps from our movie industry. So you can take my word for it, which you won't, or you can google it.

Next we'll discuss the social and economic problems in your backwards little country and I'll doubt everything you say even though you've been living there and experiencing it firsthand your whole life. I say your country is still 3rd world because all the people there are lazy. Prove me wrong.
    Your comparison is not valid here Ani, because you're doubting the way his countrymen live their life - and he's one of their countrymen.

The problem here.. is that you're not Hollywood. Just because I'm Australian doesn't mean I have a grasp of our movie industry, our cattle industry.. or any other circle that I'm not a part of (and have little exposure with). You don't seem to be part of the movie making business, or have talked to any that do.. or shown us publications of movie-makers admitting that their movies weren't successful because of poor domestic performance.

Makers might feel disappointed when their American-made movies didn't "click" with Americans, but that's just pride and expectations. Money's money. You might not feel the success and buzz in your local American environment, but the studios would certainly do (in their bank accounts).

No thanks, you`re right ironically.

Oh, i missed this lovely part.

Also keep in mind that movies made in the US are generally aimed at a US audience. Do you think the Patriot armor or Iron Man in general gets the Brits or the Chinese all excited with patriotic fervor? Does the typical Frenchman support Superman and his pursuit of truth, justice, and the American way?
    I don`t know if they do but let me ask you this... Do you? Do you see Iron man an suddenly feel all patriotic and shit?
    Last edited by UChessmaster; Tue, 05-14-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Reminder to stay on topic and avoid inflammatory comments.

Ani are you having an ego trip because you are American? Besides, I am not from a foreign market, I live here and you still don't make any sense to me. So is success a raw figure. Does every movie have to make 1.5 billion to be successful or is it a certain profit margin or percentage?

Social and economic problems, lazy. Wow
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!