Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV: Doctor Who

Blog Entries

TV: Doctor Who

Doctor Who is a British science fiction television program produced by the BBC. The program depicts the adventures of a mysterious, humanoid alien known as the Doctor who travels through time and space in his spacecraft, the TARDIS (an acronym for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space), which normally appears from the exterior to be a blue 1950s British police box. With his companions, he explores time and space, faces a variety of foes and rights wrongs.
    Anyone else familiar with the show? Season 5 just started and i loved the premiere, felt like discussing it with other fans.
    Last edited by Archangel; Wed, 07-03-2013 at 04:24 PM.

I've been watching for some time... mostly the 1-3 seasons, and bits of the 4th.
    but like StarTrek, Starwars or Buffy\Angel, there's far too much material (40 seasons total? too many books and radio scripts?) for me to make the effort to follow it.

it's still a great show.

Awesome user with default custom title poopdeville's Avatar
    Yeah, I've seen all of the new stuff, except this season. It's really good. Cheesy sci-fi, but they get away with it because the characters are good, and the story lines are interesting enough. Some of the longer arcs are just plain excellent.

You should try to watch the first seasons (of the new stuff), though I guess there's been a big enough break in continuity since those that season 5 could make sense on its own.

In short, the Doctor is like a cat. He has 10 lives. Each time he dies, he is re-incarnated with a new body. I think this is the 9th or 10th. They went through a couple of lives in the last few seasons. Also, semi-spoiler... the Doctor fought in a 'time war' against the Daleks. The Time Lords and the Daleks basically wiped each other out. The Doctor is thought to be the last of the Time Lords.

There's also a couple of spin off shows. Torchwood, and a show meant for kids. I haven't watched the kids show, but the characters show up in Doctor Who at key moments. Same with Torchwood (in fact, you find out the origins of Torchwood in the first season after the "reboot"ish thing that happened)
    Last edited by poopdeville; Mon, 04-12-2010 at 10:57 PM.
    "After all, I am strangely colored."

I kind of figured the Doctor would come out of the Pandoricum, not go into it, since it supposedly contained the most feared warrior in the universe.

That was a nice happy ending, but it was too much like the Bad Wolf arc.

Blog Entries
    I felt the finale made time travel more confusing than ever

I think there were paradoxes inside the paradoxes on this one

Season 6 opened on Sunday with a great episode. "The Impossible Astronaut, pt 1". Looks like at least a two-part arc.

Blog Entries
    It was great yeah, but compared to the last premier...

I mean come on, how do you compete with THAT?

I want to get into this show but I'm tired of British accents. I do want to get one of these though:

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Watch from Series 1 Ani.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Unless they aren't British in series (season?) 1, I'll have to wait until my current "British accents are obnoxious" phase.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Unless they aren't British in series (season?) 1, I'll have to wait until my current "British accents are obnoxious" phase.
    What sort of weird shit is that? You sound like my English friends who say that Americans don't speak "English".

I am thinking about getting into Dr. Who, but not sure if I want to go down that rabbit hole yet. I did watch "Torchwoord Children of Earth", and I enjoyed that a lot, so I may give the show from which it was spun off a try.

Just don't watch the Sarah Jane series, its terrible. Doctor Who is fun until Series 5, then it just goes off the rocker amazing.

Series 1-6+ is the "reboot," the "seasons" are the old episodes. There's some interesting clips of that, so I ought to check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    What sort of weird shit is that? You sound like my English friends who say that Americans don't speak "English".
    Not really the same thing. It's not what they say, it's how they say it with their snooty accents that bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Not really the same thing. It's not what they say, it's how they say it with their snooty accents that bothers me.
    Well, to be fair, they did create the language and by that definition, we (non-English English speakers) would have the "derivative" accents.

Quote Originally Posted by rockmanj View Post
    Well, to be fair, they did create the language and by that definition, we (non-English English speakers) would have the "derivative" accents.
    While that may be true, it's still irrelevant to my transitory preference against British accents. Weird thing is, I think it's because of some recent videos I've seen with Ricky Gervais, whose material I usually like. Plus Gordon Ramsey, and any of the other smarmy Brits on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
    Just don't watch the Sarah Jane series, its terrible. Doctor Who is fun until Series 5, then it just goes off the rocker amazing.
    Sarah Jane "really" is a kids show.

I get kind of annoyed by some of the "fillerish" episodes, especially in S5. We didn't really need a two-parter about dinosaurs in S5. And the S3 episode about the stone angels was way better than the S5 one. But the arc episodes in S5 were awesome. Bad Wolf is the only comparable arc (and BW might relate to the paradoxes in S5).

On the other hand, some of the fillerish stuff is great. I really liked the episode that introduced Dr. Sung, for example. The first stone angels was really good. The Ood episodes are cool.

The Bad Wolf arc was terrible compared to some of Davies later stuff.

The episode where they were on their way to the crystal city, and everyone was paranoid, was excellent.

Blog Entries
    Episode 2: Amy is such a hoe

Eh, the Doctor already has a daughter. It could be her instead of Amy's kid.