Page 57 of 63 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1253

Thread: The Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Abdula View Post
    No and no. I don't like Total Recall at all and if you know the general plot of The Day The Earth Stood Still then there is absolutely no reason to watch the movie, it adds nothing. That said if you know nothing about the plot then watch the movie. The plot itself is great and I thought it was good that the movie got a modern remake but an update is all it was. It is just like when a great, old video game, gets an HD re-release.
    I just watched The Abyss (in full for the first time) which I think has a similar premise as TDTESS: aliens threaten to destroy us because we hurt ourselves. It's also one of the premises of Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. I guess we'll never learn, and aliens care too much.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

Celebrities that most people don't know are part black

The biggest surprise to me is Wentworth Miller.

For God will not permit that we shall know what is to come... those who by some sorcery or by some dream might come to pierce the veil that lies so darkly over all that is before them may serve by just that vision to cause that God should wrench the world from its heading and set it upon another course altogether and then where stands the sorcerer? Where the dreamer and his dream?

http://ninjasindoorthrowingstarrange.com/

That's right. Sometimes...America gets it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    http://ninjasindoorthrowingstarrange.com/

That's right. Sometimes...America gets it right.
    And in Kentucky of all places! Well that's pretty obviously a troll job, but pretty well done. A buddy of mine told me how they had archery classes (instead of standard PE) back in high school in NC. I went to a high school that let you sit around for an hour.

I take it you've never been to Louisville, just an hour from Lexington. Eastern Kentucky is weirder, more artsy, and contemporary than you think.

Louisville is a lot like Austin, TX, just without all the holier-than-TheRestofTexas attitude...and you know, being in Kentucky.

Jounin
    You cannot afford to be sick in america

I knew it was expensive with hospitals in the US (specially without insurance), but this is just ridiculous. I have to ask. How much income tax do you pay over there?

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Well, if you survive, they just make sure you won't engjoy your life anymore...

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by TwisT View Post
    You cannot afford to be sick in america

I knew it was expensive with hospitals in the US (specially without insurance), but this is just ridiculous. I have to ask. How much income tax do you pay over there?
    It's like 25%. At least my tax bracket. For the majority of Americans, it ranges between 15% and 33%. Also for those majority of Americans, not a dime of it goes to healthcare they will use because they don't qualify for Medicare (old people) or Medicaid (disabled or poor children).

But it is important to know how insurance works in the US. Look at that third image from Cedars-Sainai. "Pre-discount" charges is written all over it. That's the bill they send to the insurance company. If you have insurance. Following that, the hospital (or any other facility) will "negotiate" over the actual price. You can see that by the end of the bill, it is already cut in half. The insurance company ultimately pays a lot less, and you pay your deductible for a calendar year.

If you don't have insurance, your bill is a lot lower in the first place, because they know it would be impossible for you to pay. It won't be cheap, and it won't be anything close to someone with a deductible, but it won't instantly bankrupt a person. They'll make a repayment plan.

It's also important to note that in US emergency rooms, they will treat you. Even if they know you can't ever pay.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sun, 01-19-2014 at 06:14 AM. Reason: reorganized for clarity

It's like 25%. At least my tax bracket. For the majority of Americans, it ranges between 15% and 33%. Also for those majority of Americans, not a dime of it goes to healthcare they will use because they don't qualify for Medicare (old people) or Medicaid (disabled or poor children).

But it is important to know how insurance works in the US. Look at that third image from Cedars-Sainai. "Pre-discount" charges is written all over it. That's the bill they send to the insurance company. If you have insurance. Following that, the hospital (or any other facility) will "negotiate" over the actual price. You can see that by the end of the bill, it is already cut in half. The insurance company ultimately pays a lot less, and you pay your deductible for a calendar year.

If you don't have insurance, your bill is a lot lower in the first place, because they know it would be impossible for you to pay. It won't be cheap, and it won't be anything close to someone with a deductible, but it won't instantly bankrupt a person. They'll make a repayment plan.

It's also important to note that in US emergency rooms, they will treat you. Even if they know you can't ever pay.
    Isn't that the whole goddamn point of emergency rooms?
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Awesome user with default custom title Uchiha Barles's Avatar
    This seems somewhat relevant to the discussion:

He does speak about negotiating prices with care providers but says that there's a lack of leverage compared to other countries on account of the fact that our government isn't in charge of negotiating those prices (save for medicaid and medicare).
    "You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it, your time has come. This time you will stand alone and fight for yourselves. Now you will pay for your freedom in the currency of honest toil and human blood."

- Inquisitor Czevak

Awesome site, though it used to be more fun searching for the answer: http://whoisthathotadgirl.tumblr.com/

The Push Up Muscle Shirt helps hide your flab and look like you work out.

http://theflatteringman.com

safe_image.jpg

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I just suck my tummy in and puff my chest out.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

It's a pretty clever political ad. I honestly don't care who created it (though it's apparently an arm of the Koch political machine), because it is well done and damn entertaining.

I want more political ads like this, and less of the overt mudslinging variety. Legitimately clever satire is what we need more of, it became a dying art in the US.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Wed, 02-05-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I just suck my tummy in and puff my chest out.
    Yeah but that requires constant attention and effort. The shirt makes it passive and therefore more likely to succeed.

It's a pretty clever political ad. I honestly don't care who created it (though it's apparently an arm of the Koch political machine), because it is well done and damn entertaining.
    Unless you're talking about another Koch, the Koch bros are conservative big business types who fund Republican political campaigns. That'd be strange that one of their subsidiaries made this, unless in jest. Though Colbert regularly lambastes big business and his channel is owned by Viacom.

Quote Originally Posted by Animeniax View Post
    Unless you're talking about another Koch, the Koch bros are conservative big business types who fund Republican political campaigns. That'd be strange that one of their subsidiaries made this, unless in jest. Though Colbert regularly lambastes big business and his channel is owned by Viacom.
    I'm actually not talking about different Kochs. Politics isn't as black and white as mainstream media and the DNC/RNC would like people to believe. The carefully crafted message is that each of the action figures represent big government, subsidies, unions, and pork.

Not to mention the Republican Party stratagem de jour is to pretend to be libertarians. Smaller gov't is great, less regulation, etc.

You'll also notice that Big G is both blue and red.

The Koch Brothers are very diversified.

edit:
    Full story about it here.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Wed, 02-05-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Source link added; corrections

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    That is pretty cool. I like all the "rebels" who didn't follow directions.

Oh shit, Australia is a nightmare land filled with beasts and terrible monsters:

http://diply.com/just-a-dream/30-pho...ne-place/33811