Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Last season's top 3

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    3. Ishuzoku Reviewers: Raunchy soft-core premise aside, the art of review and the context brought with it is adequately explored in this piece. While dialogue had to pull double duty expositing the criteria that the various… girls met or did not to grant the advertised experiences kept the proceedings interesting. The world building and context (for the ‘adventures’) established outside of the sex implicit scenes also kept what could have quickly become boring from ever really approaching it.

2. Boku no Hero S4: The sometimes unfortunate tempo of a MHA season (alternate a villain arc and end with a low stakes training/certification/world build arc) was thankfully ended in stride by a fiery (pun of course intended) confrontation at the by the new number 1 hero. Still going strong, as far as shounen series are concerned.

1. Eizouken ni wa Te wo Das una!: This was actually difficult to finish, as it lacked a strong unifying narrative aside from the girls striving to make animation a viable pursuit. That being said, nothing felt more satisfying to watch and did actually showcase some good creative animation and Miyazaki-style hijinks. World building seems to be a theme this season, and Eizouken was at the top of its game in that regard. Highly recommended for wannabe animation aficionados.

I’m told that special awards are a part of my being now, so I don’t want to rock the boat too much…

The “mood casualty” urn is presented to Runway de Waratte: If my mindset were turned just a little bit, I can imagine this could have bene a contender for anime of the season. Most similar in recent memory to Welcome to the Ballroom, this is an example of the new age ‘drama shounen’ that I can certainly get used to. Half plucky challenger, and half reality check, the characters struggling against a world seemingly designed to keep them from their dreams was very interesting, when the subject (high fashion) was decidedly not so.

The ‘edgy death game’ trophy is non-conforming for Darwin’s Game: There is always room for a series like this, because the audience who might find it fresh isn’t old enough to have seen any of the better efforts of previous years, while those who watch this in spite of knowing what it is by the nature of its audience are clearly damaged anyway. Various characters kill each other via games with super powers managed on their smart phones. Topical. At least the shedding of innocence was handled well enough here to give me hope if another season comes out.

The “is this funny to anyone else” chuckle stick went to ID: Invaded: Part Inception, and part butt-pull mysteries, the real takeaway here is how often characters referred to themselves as ‘brilliant detective’. I guess everyone needs to psyche themselves up every now and again. Unfortunately, mysteries weren’t ‘properly’ structured, meaning the audience could only wait for characters to piece together clues and logic not presented to the viewers to advance the story. Not really satisfying, but somewhat different.

The (un)prestigious ‘clean conscience’ award is split between Pet, Hatena Illusion, and Plunderer: Three shows sharing nothing but boredom and a nagging suspicion that someone out there who is just getting into anime could like them. Pet was the most high concept (and potential to be good) with memory manipulation, and if you don’t mind a lot of exposition- I actually recommend it. Hatena Illusion is another boring slog through nonsensical contemporary fantasy that felt too pedestrian to grip. Plunderer is only notable in that it sprung to mind when I wondered what the worst anime I saw so far this year was. Generic fantasy setting made to serve as a groundwork for arbitrary rules that ensure fighting, fanservice, and a cool dude main character shaking up the established order… I’m pretty sure I copy-pasted that from some other clumsy wish fulfillment piece years ago. All three shows gave no discomfort to simply cease watching…

“Number one derp” helmet is presented to Murenase! Seton Gakuen’s Lanka. Great voicework by Hina Kino, this character actually sounds really stupid, as I hope was the intent.

“Grinding” timed event trophy goes to Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu: While perfectly adequate as yet another fictional videogame story, two episodes in it felt like a titular grind to progress, as the main character was rewarded for simply continuing to spend stat points on defensive ability, and there were no signs of that strategy being challenged. Low tension, low interest.

Somali to Mori no Kamisama gets on the ‘watch list’: While time doesn’t permit completing it now, the first episode did show enough promise to add it to the ever growing backlog. I like the dangerous undertones that the other races aren’t perhaps being fully honest/informed about the reasons for the delicious humans’ disappearance.

The “lunchtime” show award goes to Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei Shite Mita: Cute rom-com about two scientists exploring and (failing to) quantify their mutual affection makes for good episodic eat-while-you-watch anime.

The ‘neglect’ award goes to Haikyuu!! To the Top: Years I waited for a follow up to the spectacular season three, but alas, I had read the manga since and that drains my desire to watch by at least half, though what I saw looked as good as ever.

The ‘sweaty tryhard’ soaked towel goes to Mairimashita! Iruma-kun: I gave it my all. At least 11 episodes I think- they blur together- given in hopes that this would be/get better. No such luck. Watchable with some gags you’ve seen before in other shows- tripe.

The “Capstone” award goes to Psycho Pass 3 First Inspector ovas: If you loved Phycho Pass season 3 (like me), these ovas, essentially three extra episodes, conclude its story arc properly AND set up the next potential one. Highly recommended.

Lastly, the “two thirds” rule goes to Drifting Dragons: In a silly sort of way, I see that anime can excel for me in three major areas: plot, character, and production. Being as I am essentially racist against CG anime, this fell short of the last one. I still can’t get over the sometimes awkwardly animated 3d models, but the rest of the show is a pleasure to watch. I like the setting, episodic story, and characters, but the act of visually perceiving CG anime always offends me just a bit. A nice enough show, but I wouldn’t want my daughter dating a CG character. Recommended if that doesn’t bother you.

A weaker season, but some goodies buried in there if you wade through enough.

Regarding Eizouken: I actually dropped it after episode 5 or so. As you say, it lacked a prober narrative and that just didn't feel right for me. There was a lack of characters, always just seeing the three girls do whatever they want felt almost like, dunno, South Park.

Normally I don't, but this time I will rank them.

1. Nami yo Kiitekure - This was the clear winner for AOTS. Earlier in the season it was a tossup between this and my number two, but by episode 5, there's really no question. A series, starring all adults, mostly the working poor, trying to find a different direction in their life. And it is funny. It's firmly rooted in reality, except for the radio broadcast scripts themselves. A real-life series with all adult characters alone is rare. But it is entertaining the entire time, without even a single dull episode. There's a fair number of archetypical characters for sure. The pining potential love interest, the cool mature woman, the sweet and polite younger employee, the quiet and gruff older guy, the mustached producer gambling on success. But Minare, the female lead, is the standout shining star of this series, and a breakout performance from her VA, Sugiyama Riho.

Just like, holy shit. Dialogue that's fired out a million miles a minute, all-encompassing dramatic range, but what really stands out between the writing and her performance is charm. Plenty of series tell their audience that so-and-so is supposed to be charming, some even show it through other characters reacting. But it falls short because it is fake. Minare is played charming. Her character is naturally charming without it being forced in any capacity. She feels very real because we see the majority of the series from her POV, and not all of it is flattering. She draws people into her pace. I laughed at least every episode, and smiled pretty much throughout each one.

And if all of that isn't enough, this is a slice of life series from the Blade of the Immortal author, and it really, really works. Great OP and ED too.

Downside? Funimation's subtitle format and timing sucks ass, particularly for series like this.

2. Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei Shiteshimatta... (aka Bakarina or Hamefura) - I will admit that I've become a fan of the higher quality "villainess" sub-genre of isekai. There's hundreds of these series now, and we're just starting to get anime versions of them. Bakarina was always one of the better ones. It's a pure, low-stakes comedy series that is simply enjoyable. Catarina is stupid to a degree that crushes the densest of male leads, the side characters are all funny, and the good nature of her trying to save her own life while accidentally triggering every love flag along the way is endearing. The art is detailed, but not extraordinary, and it doesn't have to be. The characters are the usual tropes. Nothing about this series should work as well as it does. But it is really, really good.

If I had to give it a downside, a few of the side characters have somewhat weak voice acting.

3. Gleipnir - So, downsides first. The story is a mess, the supporting cast is inconsistently used and not brought back enough for the audience to be given a proper impression of them so subsequent actions make sense when they return. Certain events simply aren't closed correctly. Almost all of this is a worse problem in the monthly serialization of the manga. So I was hoping the anime would streamline it, clean it up, and produce something more clearly impactful.

And it does, mostly.

This series shines the most about proper subversion of expectations. Not twists for the sake of having a twist, not poorly foreshadowed garbage turns. What you as a viewer or reader know is based solely on the POV's of the main character, who isn't the male lead we see most of the series through. It's the female lead who is the audience surrogate.
    This series really plays to the strengths of series with unreliable narrators, without being cheap, without lying to its own audience. You simply don't know what you don't know, but in retrospect, a lot of things become obvious when you actually look for them or pay attention to them.

A lot of people are turned off by Clair, the female lead, because she's annoying or comes off as slutty. But the important part to remember is that she's a liar, mostly to herself, and almost everything she does is an act.

There's a slow boil on the truth as the series progresses, and it is good stuff. I just wish the structure of the series was tighter, and the editing had been a little stronger.

It took me a bit longer to finish give up on the stragglers this season…

3. Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen 2nd Season- Finally, we get to the subject of books and then… more obstacles- servants, class disparity, and other complications that were certainly more interesting than welcome in this “Dr. Stone for girls” show. It pulled some heart whenever it counted, and the off-model art sometimes actually made Mein look more sympathetic, in a weird way.

2. Tower of God- I’ll take shounen when I can get it, and while the storytelling is certainly of a different style than I’m used to, I will say that it evoked some of the better mental battle shounen memories of times past. Hopefully it gets a continuation.

1. Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta…- This really shouldn’t be here, but the main character was actually cute enough in her wholesomeness to win me over. I like how she expected everyone to turn on her always, not as a manifestation of distrust, but because she felt it fated to be so… so her decency itself actually spared her passively from the fate of the evil game character (though that didn’t stop her from studying horticulture). She really was “#humblepopular” and a joy to watch, as were her less fleshed out companions.

Kakushigoto – “Standards have risen award”: Ten… fifteen years ago, I’m convinced this would have been a classic due to its watch-ability and a real lack of competition. The loli is cute, and the dad’s gag didn’t really get old, and I imagine there was plenty of creative space for jokes around the concept. But in 2020, however, I couldn’t find the drive to complete it… Truly an embarrassment of riches.

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai? Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen gets both the “Voice Work Matters” and “Catchy OP” awards: I really do take special notice of the V actors in Kaguya; especially Prez and vice prez. You really gotta pull double duty to make monologues engaging when they are supporting jokes the audience sees coming a mile away, and they pull it off.

Gleipnir teases, in the most trashy way possible, the “glorious mess” award. As a euphemism on teenage relationships, this grimdark battle series is about as subtle as a train wreck… But its production (in the early episodes) makes it worth wading through teen non-drama as a vehicle for another death game with supernatural powers. Worth it for fans of the genre.

Nami yo Kiitekure gets the ‘adulting’ award: I suppose this is how it feels to recognize the act of growing up is more than just worrying about paying your bills- in developed countries, that isn’t the hard part, it is finding purpose and joy in the life you lead. That is what made Nami yo Kiitekure engaging to watch. Minare is fun to watch narrate herself through all of her existence because she really seems to be commentating from a place of emotional insecurity, and it works well off of the rest of the cast. Different, and worth a watch.

Yesterday wo Utatte picks up the “lowest stakes possible” award up off of the floor (5 second rule!): Pure romance series, aside form being relatively rare in anime, also face the challenge of engaging the audience with character interaction and growth alone. Both of those things take time or really strong, punchy writing. Thankfully, Yesterday invested a bit of both to keep a good balance of progression and character- this is the first series I thought I would drop, and yet it completed it.

Shachou, Battle no Jikan Desu! Gets the “backlog bait” award. This disposable story of destitute adventure guild revitalization in yet another fantasy world will be perfect to archive for watching when the world ends.

Princess Connect! Reive gets the reversed colored can of “Diet Konosuba” honors: It tastes kind of like Konosuba, but it isn’t… but I really like Konosuba, so I’ll try it anyway, and it was good enough, but I can taste the aspartame.
    Last edited by neflight86; Thu, 07-30-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Another season, another shift in life; time for the top 3!

3. Appare Ranman: P.A. Works doing what it does best with a little jank on the side. Pretty good characters prop up just about the least race-oriented racing series I’ve ever seen. A few ham-fisted plot elements intrude on the fun for a bit to force some arbitrary tension to prod Appare’s autism into new heights of emotional intelligence. Above average animation and a theme that resonates with me (American western) brought this into the top three of the season.

2. Houkago Teibou Nisshi: Cute girls doing what- fishing, you say? Can’t complain about much, really. As far as a breezy slice of life goes, this checks all of the boxes: cute girls explaining to my idiot self the appeal of a niche activity through the vicarious surrogate main character who just happens to be a girl. A few notable aspects include the sleazy president (unusual archetype in ‘cute’ anime), and the ‘failure’ of a drunken teacher/advisor. I’m surprised, but this being here isn’t surprising.

1. Yahari Ore: Really, I wasn’t sure if I would ever get to see the end of my favorite rom-com series, as I couldn’t gauge how popular it was in the large picture. I love 8-man as a character and feel like he’s done more to earn his harem than anyone else in anime. I loved the interaction, the banter, the developments, the talking in circles, and the vague metaphorical dialogue for all of the characters. I was truly ‘into’ this and looked forward to nothing more each week.

I was about to skip special awards, but the collar on my neck started beeping,so..

“Most wasted effort” award goes to Lapis: Re:lights: There are some genuinely good parts of another show that couldn’t get green-lit without stapling about fifteen idol girl character designs with it on display here. The stories are fun, the animation goes beyond what is needed to impress at (though I can still spot the CGI in dance sections, for the record), and even the character designs are almost memorable.

The “Quickest to Nope” award went to Maou Gakuen…: Overpowered story about some ‘random’ dude that is too cool for school and disrupts an established societal power structure while being above it all? And the girls all fall for him and wanna do… lewd things? I wish I could laugh or copy and paste my dismissal of this show from the last three seasons, but I’m just blank on these types of shows by now. It does not bode well for anime when what passes for excitement is what twist on a known trope might differentiate a new series.

The “backhanded apology” letter is sent to The God of High School: I called this a poor story due to the source format (Online Manhua), when I have since discovered that this may, in possibility, merely be a poor adaptation. 100+ chapters in 12 episodes, I’ve heard. Some things getting lost were inevitable, but I cannot say the gains were worth the sacrifice, as the second half of the show is just… a mess of nonsensical beatles, powerups, and more battles… I felt nothing for all of the flashy (but not noticeably good) animation on display. The storytelling felt a bit more shounen compared to ToG, which is a bit disappointing. I’m sure this won’t be the last webtoon adapted to anime, and I look forward to the next if only to see the formulas shaken up further.

The ‘kinda over it’ award it tossed to Re:Zero season 2: Re:Zero was a big deal in the Aniverse back in 2016, when subverting isekai hadn’t become its own trope quite yet. While I did largely like the first season, what we got in these 13 episodes simply didn’t advance the story enough to be satisfying on any level. Not even the witches. Watching Subaru screech every other episode when he is surprised that, yet again, bad things happen to him and the people he cares about which he has little control over except for his groundhog day powers is getting old fast. He is rapidly transitioning from tragic character to meme, and that’s a shame. The (vague) story itself is shaping up in such a way that I would like to visit it again when it is complete, as the weekly format does nothing to enhance my enjoyment for such a patently incomplete story.

The ‘coal or diamond’ award goes to Gibiate: A time travel tale of a legendary samurai (and ninja buddy) helping humanity fend off monster bugs in the post apocalyptic future is slightly less worn-out than most of what is on offer this season. Three episodes in, it looked like it could go either way in quality, but my gut decided to drop it due to no strong hook. Could be worth a watch?

“Wrong headspace” award goes to Deca-Dence: Something about this just rubbed me the wrong way and I interpreted it as pretentious, when it probably was not. The early twist didn’t excite, and that, possibly unfairly, soured me on continuing.

The “awakening” award was forced upon Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai: Upon the horizon, I see the dawn of a new type of rom-com; the ‘bully’ series, where a boy is endlessly tormented by an affectionate female cohort. Think “Takagi-kun” and ”Please don’t bully me, Nagatoro”... I’m starting to enjoy it more as a reversal of the power dynamic where the girl both sets the tone of the relationship and isn’t necessarily a tsundere. This was a bit more dynamic than Takagi-kun in that Uzaki doesn’t always get the last laugh- just like a one sided game is boring, one sided romance can be the same. I also have a special place in my heart for the weird voyeuristic interests of the coffee shop father/daughter.

The “missing link” jigsaw piece is for Monster Musume no Oisha-san: A pleasant in-between; not super lewd as monster girls (or interspecies reviewers, if you were in a certain kind of circle), nor innocuous “Interviews with Monster Girls”, Monster Musume explores fantasy races through the lens of medicine, and a bit of ecchi on the side. Complete fantasy, but interesting enough if you like semi-procedural medical mystery, as light as it could be...

Given recent events, anime output is certainly in a bit of a slump right now, but that’s good breathing room to look at some older series and backlog.

Oh, goody! It’s time for the top three (and friends):

3. Sonyoku no Sigrdrifa: The latest entry in the long venerated ‘cute girls are the only ones who can fight monsters’ genre, Sigrdrifa owes its niche appeal by being somewhat authored/connected to the Re:Zero author. I can’t say it particularly felt like it, but the slice of life turning to trauma and tragedy with all of the naive bravado that could only hope to reach a fairly pubescent audience was familiar. Spice in some old timey planes with enough military dressing to act serious, and you have a passable story of struggle and hope that doesn’t overstay its welcome.

2. Akudama Drive: A story of super criminals being coerced into performing a heist against a nebulous government. I like that the story was willing to go in unpredictable directions for almost its entire duration. Flashy fights and above average production with attitude to spare. Recommended.

1. Munou no Nana: It’s about as close to Death Note in structure as we’ve come in the past ten or so years, and really benefits from a lack of competition in the ‘cat and mouse death game’ genre. Cliff hangers and clever developments marred slightly by animation that didn’t really heighten the experience, nonetheless I awaited nothing more each week.

I had a dream that... warned of cataclysm if I didn’t scrape together some… special awards for this season... Don’t blame me!

Haikyuu!! To the Top is hereby awarded the ‘anti-hype’ award. I love this series; a solid 9 in my book… but I didn’t watch beyond four episodes this season. Why? Simply because I read the manga already and knew all of the major story beats coming up. Seeing where it (this season) ended, I was actually kind of surprised that they only got as far as they did. The manga (this story) emphasizes the concept of the journey being more important than the end goal itself, but that doesn’t hold true for me, it seems. Without the allure of the unknown, I simply couldn’t bring myself to devote time each week to shounen pacing… If I hadn’t read ahead, I’m sure I would have been glued to my seat, so take caution!

Assault Lily: Bouquet gets the spare ‘blank’ award: I really can’t remember much about Assault Lilly other than it was frilly…. Very, very, frilly. Another cute girl ensemble battle high school slightly elevated by some high energy battle animation, Assault Lily is about as disposable as modern anime can get. Oh, and the little brunette reporter girl’s novocaine addled voice grated me to no end.

Majo no Tabitabi gets the ‘modern Kino’ award: And that is not in a necessarily good way. Back in a time long past, when studios adapted thoughtful works that presented interesting ideas like Kino’s Travels, allowing the viewer to be exposed to assorted philosophical and moral dilemmas and situations, nostalgia had not yet set in and it probably wasn’t as good as I remember it being (didn’t even watch the recent remake)… It’s fine, and has some unique stories, but the overall aesthetic and lack of a central narrative wasn’t gripping enough to compel me to complete it.

The golden (unopened) tissue box goes to “Kamisama ni Natta hi” - There is a distinct art to the manufacture of sorrow or grief, and only a handful of ways to do it: You can create a tragedy, a strong sentiment, or, in KamiSama’s case, put in the effort to endear characters before ripping them apart. A little uneven, this is probably this author’s most down to earth story yet with actually low stakes that prevent audacious concepts from detracting the audience’s attention from the drama at hand.

100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatte Iru wins the “woah- is this a dream?” award: Not compelling enough to actually demand my attention, but just weird enough to keep me watching, 100-man is a curious story of brute forcing unfair quests in a fairly mundane isekai way, but becomes more interesting once the cracks start appearing in the characters. None of the participant ‘heroes’ is a full, complete person in surprisingly a good way (for entertainment’s sake, at least). As we spend more time with them on their mundane quests that slowly spiral into larger things, a general uneasiness about what is going on that I won’t spoil (and frankly isn’t a twist per-say). Similar to watching someone try to keep their balance on a floating log, a queer spectacle, indeed.

Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle gets the “one and done” single use award: Hypnosis mic is entirely worth watching… a single episode of; no more and no less. To say the premise can support approximately 20 minutes of worthwhile content is an exacting, but true, statement. A new world order has rendered rap battling the only meaningful way to settle disputes, and rhythmic wars are breaking out in a way that only anime can do with a straight face. Not a native speaker, of course the lyrics are largely lost on me, but the beats and outlandish scenario gave me a smile for the pilot. I actually pity the production staff tasked with trying to keep this formula alive for another 11 episodes after having an entire 4 rap battles in the first episode… where no follow up could hope to match.

Iwa Kakeru! Sport Climbing Girls is hereby awarded the “going through the motions” award: I thought I hit rock bottom of the shounen sports genre simping with that sumo anime from a couple years back- but no… I also wasted four hours watching Sport Climbing Girls. Completely pedestrian, this tale of a nerd(gamer) turned pro athlete simply checked all of the boxes in the basic order: Introduction, rival, acclimation, growth, setback, and triumph… all in twelve episodes. Sprinkle some friendship and commentary in there somewhere and you’ve got a winner, for better or worse. I believe I’ve isolated the most compelling story beat that these shows offer, and it is the contemplation of talent versus hard work (obvious, I know), but how each of these shows handles it is a bit different. Some suggest all people with the drive to achieve can reach a level of mastery, where some say talent must be mixed with discipline and proper instruction, and other permutations, most of which include friendship somehow. Sport Climbing Girls largely sidesteps the issue by not focusing on the character’s interactions, as it is a non-contact sport- you versus the wall, and has a slightly different dynamic due to it, and really stretches to find tension as a result.

Maesetsu! gets the “silver pillow” award - Aggressively boring. Story about girls who want to be comedians, but aren’t particularly funny (canonicaly?). The jokes didn’t land and I didn’t care enough for the art to stick around.

Kami-tachi ni Hirowareta Otoko is awarded ‘bland toast’ slice: Fantasy isekai where the protagonist is granted broken level proficiency from local deities as repayment for their untimely death in another world. If I had copy pasted that from another (boring) series entry and linked it here, I could have saved us both some time.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi gets the “trivial pursuit” award: You’ve seen “crafting adventures” for boys (Dr. Stone), and for girls, (Ascendance of a Bookworm), but have you seen it for… the unemployed? A cozy romp featuring a ‘captured’ princess, having nothing better to do in the demon king’s castle, decides to up her sleeping accommodations by essentially having the run of the place arts and crafts style. Pretty light from a fantasy perspective, bordering on parody, the demon king’s army is treated more like put out relatives the princess is visiting than actual captors to very cute effect (I love the hedgehog demon). The princess’ single mindedness of enhancing her sleep and constant misunderstandings- based humor that threw more than a few twists in their punchlines were supremely entertaining for me.

Magatsu Wahrheit: Zuerst gets the “fair effort” award: Based on a mobile game, an anime being unbound by existing narrative is actually kind of exciting. After all, if any schmuck could have written the story, perhaps it will avoid the most well worn tropes of the ‘magical warring states’ genre (see below). Magatsu manages to half subvert what I expected from it, which is a miracle in and of itself. An unlikely kick off to an intertwined story caused by an act of kindness (none shall go unpunished) sees the reverse Immanuel (Innamuel) swept up in a rebellion/smugglers movement that is involved in an entire empire’s worth of intrigue with world rending consequences to follow. Too bad the production quality slipped on the toilet and fell in. This is one gnarly looking show at times; especially toward the latter half. The story and characters sort of make up for it, though, but top shelf entertainment this is not.

“Super Generic Army Fantasy” store brand award goes to Kimi to Boku no Saigo no Senjou: Two countries- one likes magic, one likes science, and they both like warring with each other except for the Romeo and Juliet main couple who just happen to be in affectation for each other (secretly, of course). There is even a neutral city called Neutral City where they can quasi-flirt in case the audience was afraid the scenario writer(s) were going to have to expend effort in constructing other contrivances to get them shared screen time. To its credit, it does try to start a few plot threads, but none of them have even remotely enough time to pan out and are simply a platform for hollow battles just in time to be both unresolved and uninteresting by season’s end. Does this story need another season or two? Certainly. Does it deserve another minute of your time? Of course not.

Not a bad season, all things considered. Sadly, I still haven’t watched the latest “Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon” or “Golden Kamuy”, or I’m sure I would have had some things to say. Added to the backlog as Anime seasons wait for no man...
    Last edited by neflight86; Thu, 01-07-2021 at 05:23 PM.

I have entirely forgotten last season :/

That's also a statement, I guess.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Winter 2021, in no particular order:

Mushoku Tensei - An isekai that actually focuses on personal character growth rather than being overpowered right from the start? The animation was really on point the entire season as well. It's a good balance between creating an actually compelling setting that our transplanted protagonist actually engages with (shocked dismay at the bloody deaths that everyone else casually dismisses as day to day occurrences for one...), individual growth of both the lead and the supporting cast, and treats them all as very human. It is probably a harem, but it sure doesn't feel like one. Everyone seems to have a specific level of drive and individuality.

Non Non Biyori Nonstop - Placing itself firmly at the peak of everyday slice of life comedy, the rural-centric series objectively may have the best comic timing of any anime in the last 20 years. Every joke and gag has a solid set up, every one of them given a chance to breathe. This is comedy directing and storyboarding at the peak of damn near every comedy genre and medium. The introspective and heartwarming moments are a bonus. It's relatable, the cast kills every episode and every scene.

Tatoeba Last Dungeon Mae no Mura no Shounen ga Joban no Machi de Kurasu Youna Monogatari - It shouldn't work, the premise is stupid, the plot over every episode predictable, but somehow, each one manages to be entertaining. It really sells on also handling comedy correctly, though the timing isn't quite perfect. Every gag is set up with a promise and a payoff, so they work really well. The characters sit right on the very edge of being annoying, but they never really cross that line.

Honorable mentions:
    Horimiya - (Episodes 1 - 7 only) Some of the most natural romance you can find. The franchise unfortunately suffers from being drawn out far beyond when it should have been ended as a tightly written story. A trait it shares with other 'legendary' anime romance series, sadly.
    Slime Tensei - While I did like this season quite a bit, the pacing really sucked. They frequently missed the mark on where the episodes were cut to land more powerful impacts on the story beats. The series deflated its own tension more often than not.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    So eager Ryll, Non Non Biyori hadn't even finished airing when you posted that xD

Top 3:

Non Non Biyori.

Mushoku Tensei.

Attack on Titan Final Season (1st part).

It was actually kind of hard not mentioning Jujutsu Kaisen in the top 3, but while Jujutsu Kaisen is a well made Shonen with a good budget and soundtrack, AoT's twists placed it on top. Season stuff aside, if there's going to be a "Shows you missed that you should watch from the last decade", AoT would beat out JJK, so I guess that solves my ranking issue.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    So eager Ryll, Non Non Biyori hadn't even finished airing when you posted that xD

Top 3:

Non Non Biyori.

Mushoku Tensei.

Attack on Titan Final Season (1st part).

It was actually kind of hard not mentioning Jujutsu Kaisen in the top 3, but while Jujutsu Kaisen is a well made Shonen with a good budget and soundtrack, AoT's twists placed it on top. Season stuff aside, if there's going to be a "Shows you missed that you should watch from the last decade", AoT would beat out JJK, so I guess that solves my ranking issue.
    technically, JJK is from 2020 anyway

With that in mind, I can't even name 3 series tbh.

Mushoku for sure.

but then... with a wide gap.

Kumoko and maybe Jaku-Chara.

ReZero was pretty horrible this season overall imho, it had some moments, but I'm starting to "hate" Subaru more and more each season (his character just doesn't fit with the theme of this show and his inability starts to annoy me now)
    Slime isn't much more than a time-waster to me and I'm starting to put it in the same category as "smartphone"-isekai or that "I ate monsters to survive"-isekai.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Mon, 03-29-2021 at 07:49 AM.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krayz
    technically, JJK is from 2020 anyway
    Ryll and I, amongst others, have been counting shows when they end. Thus we're not including Kumoko since it's still going, and thus should not rate it until it's finished airing.

But to each their own.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

My Top3 based on what I was looking forward to the most each week:

1. Kumo desu-ga, nani ka (watching a cute spider grow stronger is the best. Could watch this for hours, just her grinding and shit)
    2. Re: Zero Season 2 (spending an entire season in location was a bitch move, but the anime still knows how to go for the heart. Season 3 ASAP pls and let's get back Rem!)
    3.Shingeki no Kyoujin (oh well, that would have been a lot more relaxed season had we known that there's gonna be a part 2, lol. As mentiioned in the main thread, some developments felt rushed, but it was still exciting to watch. Fuck that cliffhanger ,though)

Honorable mention: Beastars Season 2 (unfortunately, the season kinda lost me after it became apparent how stupid Legosi's decision not to tell anyone about Riz became. For a long time I thought that maybe there is no police in this world, but nah, there is. Dumbest move ever. And it lead to a questionable showdown).

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Guidelines:

- Only post complete seasons, the objective of this thread is to help users find good anime and not anime that has been good so far. If it was that awesome, you can post about it in the next season.

- There's no need for lengthly descriptions ( that's what we have ann, anidb and wikipedia for ) but do try to concisely describe what made that particular show worthy of entering your top 3

- There isn't any need for a specific order between the three you choose but make sure to make visible distinctions should you feel like adding some "honorable mentions"

- Should you be the first to post about a new season, make sure to mark what particular season you're posting about with the title of your post (eg. Spring 2009)

Note:

- As not to make a mess of things the purpose of this thread is to simply post your top 3, NOT to comment on other member's choices or on any other subjects.
    For a reminder for what have always been the guidelines of this thread...

Well, what did we have this season? A much harder time narrowing it down to three finalists, for one...

3. Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu: An above average production for a series I’ve enjoyed in manga format years ago. Some call it the daddy of the modern isekai, but to me it is just a more thoughtful isekai focusing on growth and the application of lessons learned. Much of Rudeus’ journey is steeped in actively avoiding squandering his new chance at life with all of his past regrets ingrained in him. Very entertaining, and more than a little pervy.

2. Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun: Get this- a highschool gamer, just like you or me (plus or minus 15 years), is socially awkward and gets training on talking to people by another gamer who happens to be a beautiful girl he goes to school with. Small world, huh? Setting aside the asinine premise as us anime viewers are oft expected to do, I really enjoyed seeing Tomozaki’s growth each week and his navigation of increasingly complex social interactions for the benefit of others. Not quite rom-com, and not quite coming of age story, Tomozaki should appeal to you if you enjoyed ‘less passionate’ couple dramedies like Rascal and Teen Rom Com Snafu.

1. Shingeki no Kyojin: The only thing more painful than this not actually being the final season of AoT is that it could have been. The gripping story shifted, once again, to territory unknown in the most intriguing way possible. My investment in the narrative and lore has been thoroughly paid off and I could want for nothing more each week.

The Wunderkind award is shared by Wonderegg Priority and Beastars (s2): Both of these barely missed top three status... the competition was that fierce. Showcasing two opposite strengths of Anime: high concept gorgeous animation in WeP, and societal commentary with the least egregious use of CG yet in Beastars. Both shows were delights to watch and only faltered in minor ways. Beastars continued to explore character development in interesting ways, but became a bit too mystical and sentimental for my liking during serious business, and Wonder Egg didn’t actually deliver much of a conclusion for how hard it seemed like it was trying to wrap up. Excellent shows, though, both.

The ‘knee scraper’ band-aid is presented to ‘Highrise Invasion’ Netflix strikes again by (under)funding another anime. This edgy take on the death game genre pits assorted folks against each other, mysterious ‘masks’, and their own suicidal tendencies to create/select a new ‘god’. I finished it, but the quality bar was so low that clearing it drew blood. The setting is somewhat unique in that all of the participants are trapped in skyscrapers connected by rope bridges and the supernatural is replaced by super-science-fiction-natural. It’s schlocky, but the fights and characters din’t behave like I was expecting, so the intrigue worked well enough to carry twelve episodes, and the ED is pretty catchy, too.

The ‘you really shouldn’t have’ award goes to Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken (s2): The jolly vibes of season one returned off the bat with more politicking and fun interactions at the onset of this season, though the animation took a slight dive. When this season’s full on battle/invasion arc took place, some tonal incongruities that bothered me, detailed in our very own discussion thread, cooled me on the finale. Still fun to watch, and still recommended.

The ‘better than the sum of its parts’ award is for ‘Tatoeba Last Dungeon Mae no Mura no Shounen ga Joban no Machi de Kurasu Youna Monogatari’: Mouthful title aside, this had every reason to be not good. Generic fantasy ‘adventure/power fantasy/harem’ series with low tension and an even lower animation budget meant that essentially all of the load bearing weight was put onto the writing… and it actually worked. Decent and above jokes littered the show with appropriate setup and pay off each episode. Your predilection to these kinds of disposable shows isn’t going to be challenged, but you may find it entertaining indeed.

The ‘over easy pre-beaten carton priority’ award is tossed by way of ‘Ura Sekai Picnic’ and ‘2.43 Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley Bu’. More victims of existing in the same world as national brands, these generic imitations didn’t have the chance to properly shine. Wonder Egg and Haikyuu are both tall hurdles to top (taller than 4.23 meters, anyway) and these just couldn’t keep my interest beyond two episodes, as the story beats felt familiar-yet-stale.

‘Most wasted talent’ goes to ‘Idolly Pride’: Not a particularly ambitious show, the main reason I watched each week was the spry and energetic performance scenes. A mixture of CG, fast pans, and cell art, there were some choice cuts here and I was thoroughly entertained by them enough to weather the bare-bones story that threaded them all together.

The ‘tuning fork’ award goes to ‘Soukou Musume Senki’: Mecha and other series designed to be merchandised are no strangers to out-there concepts and nonsensical stories cobbled together by unpassionate staff to meet a deadline. That’s par for the course, but the episodes here went from otaku isekai to muv-luv style attrition of war to hot springs to symbols of peace and noble sacrifice. I felt ‘Fate’ vibes somewhere in there, too... and it just couldn’t nail down a solid tone before I lost interest.

Curiosity killed the cat, but ‘Ore dake Haireru Kakushi Dungeon’ brought him back, and was thus awarded the ‘satisfaction’ prize: Sometimes, you know what you are getting into by the first boob-jiggle, and that is exactly what happened here. Characters and premise exist solely to facilitate lewd happenings, but the side characters and thoughtful mini stories, some of which don’t even involve the harem, gave it more of a soul than you should assume it has. The kicker though, is that the story is really and functionally complete by the end of episode 12. That’s all, folks! Nothing more to see here. All of the loose ends were tied up and it offers a clean break. I couldn’t ask for more.

The ‘buffet restraint’ award is in a to-go box for ‘Horimiya’: Cute feelsy romance with a distinctly forward couple that is a joy to watch, but somewhere after they start dating, the tension of the show drains and I don’t feel compelled to consume more, even though it is on offer. Like a transient from rom-com to sit-com?

The ‘effective advertising’ flyer goes to ‘Kemono Jihen’: The show wasn’t really anything special as it played out, but something about the finale, and the momentum it promised of the story moving forward got me strangely hyped to see/read what happens next. Most anime is made to promote its derived material, and few worked at that so well for me. Inugami being the smoothest Tanuki didn’t hurt, either.

The ‘wasted effort’ award goes to ‘EX-ARM’: I considered bringing the Golden Toilet out of retirement for this one, but EX-ARM commits the cardinal sin of being too boring to bring forth the effort to passionately dissect. You’ve seen the memes, you know that fans aren’t happy (rightfully so), and that this has confirmed my bias against CG anime in a way that makes me insufferably smug. Don’t waste your time. The most humanitarian thing we can do is limit the damage caused by exposure to the poor people who got this on their resumes. May they rest in peace...

The ‘don’t ask don’t tell’ papers go to ‘Kaifuku Jutsushi no Yarinaoshi’: What can I say about the rapey-est show I’ve ever seen? I couldn’t get past a few episodes in this revenge tale, but there was a lot of hate (and awkward titillation) in what I saw. I don’t know what or who this kind of cathartic outlet this is supposed to be for, but I don’t need it in my life and would caution you against it as well.

‘Loose ends’ frayed rope goes to ‘Dr.STONE STONE WARS’ The opposite of Boku no Hero, Dr. Stone got a full length first season, and a shortened second. In my eyes, this was really the conclusion that the first season needed, but would not fit the running of a two cour; three cour would have been perfect, but anime is planned years in advance, so that kind of pivoting isn’t really in the cards. The storytelling took a bit of a hit from the mid-arc start, but reached its conclusion appropriately. This should set up the next season in a much better place.

A good season. An embarrassment of riches.

Spring 2021

Vivy: Fluorite Eye`s Song - A pretty clear candidate for anime of the season. One part Eve no Jikan, one part Violet Evergarden, a tablespoon of Your Name, and season with GitS:SAC to taste. Android idol premise with the action director of Attack on Titan, and damn do they pull it off. It has some really incredible action sequences, stellar music, and animation that knows when to conserve itself so it blends together nicely. The plot isn't anything particularly mindblowing, kind of a standard time-travel changing plot, it just happens to move linearly because Vivy is an android. But what it does do, it does very competently and executes flawlessly.
    It is somewhat marred by peaking too soon. The best episodes by far are 3 & 4, with a trio later on being the second best arc. The ending, unfortunately falls below both of those arcs and just glides to the finale. Overall, I do strongly recommend it.

Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - What starts as a rather controversial "bullying" anime slowly reveals itself to be, as a prominent anime youtuber says, "actually wholesome as fuck." There's a depth to Nagatoro, both the anime and the character herself, that a lot of the other "teasing" genres never come close to hitting. It's superficial, or one of the infuriating "will they won't they" gravitate endlessly around each other until an abrupt ending series that often get mentioned alongside it. No, Nagatoro goes the next level: Steady character progression. The expressions are really varied and substantially detailed given the art style, going from 'tormenting mischief' to 'slyly unable to admit their own feelings even to themselves, but absolutely obvious to everyone in the vicinity'. Get past the first two episodes, and keep an eye out for the at first subtle, and then rather blatant character growth of Nagatoro and her senpai from segment to segment. There's a good natured desire for improvement across every episode. The series appears to start rather sour, but swiftly shifts to sweet.

86 - Eighty Six (side note: this series' stupid title makes it annoying hard to search for just about anywhere)
    While their were other strong contenders, I feel that 86 deserves my third pick because it successfully turned itself around from mediocrity in its middle segments. I will also admit there was a fair amount of my personal bias towards that sentiment, until I learned that the author does absolutely nothing to hide her inspirations for the series: Muv-Luv, Screamers, and Code Geass Akito. It isn't derivative, it is intentional.
    It manages to hit a lot of topics all at once, racism, hubris, self-destruction, the futility of war, the savagery of humankind, detachment, guilt, and all sorts of other great character development drama fodder. And it does all of them some degree of justice. There's definitely some cringey stuff here (the female lead's military uniform for one...) but I found myself very interested in more of the universe this series has to offer, and many more questions that came up and didn't get answered by the end of the first cour. The second resumes in Oct 2021.
    The music is definitely weird. But that's Sawano Hiroyuki. You can immediately tell it is him, like Yuki Kajira, he has a very particular style. Some people like it. I used to, but don't anymore.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Vivy, fully agree with Ryll. I needed a better closure episode. But I'm glad I watched that show.

Shadows House- Started a late thread for that one, I do not have much to add.

Seijo no Maryoku wa Bannou Desu- Probably from a soft josei dating game. Very relaxed atmosphere where our main character slowly wakes up to her feelings that happen to also be her main source of almost infinite magical power. Watching this feels like a nice walk in a parc, sunny but not too warm spring day.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Another strong season filled with delights. It was… difficult to narrow it down to a top three.

3. Cestvs: The Roman Fighter: While there can be little doubt that Megalo Box is the superior show in most ways, the shounen tropes of Cestvs won me over in the end. Even with the jarring CG animation, I could not look away from the ever so slightly technical fisticuffs and slave-passions that drove the fighters. Much better than expected.

2. Mashiro no Oto: Something about tortured artists/artisans somehow hasn’t turned me off yet. I think it started with “March comes in like a Lion”... I enjoyed MC’s sluggish journey to ‘find his sound’, and the tournament arc at the end was much to my liking. Enjoying the music, too, didn’t hurt.

1. Odd Taxi: A sort of queer fascination gripped me for most of the run time of Odd Taxi. Seeing (and expecting) the various plot threads to slowly come together was satisfying, and Odokawa always felt just the right amount of ‘off’ to keep him squarely in the realm of ‘suspicious’ until the very end. The fun dialogue and cute twist at the end were really sold by the characters and each one seemed more memorable than they should be given the amount of screen time given. Highly recommended.

I’ll just toss these awards I found laying around over… here…

The “weird duality” award goes to “Mars Red” & “Jouran: The Princess of Snow and Blood”: Two early pre war era japanese vampire stories about covert kill squads airing in the same season? What is this, the new isekai? Both had their charms- Mars leaning on its plodding theatrical qualities, while Jouran was content with more bombastic spectacle, neither proved quite interesting enough to finish, but I was never a great fan of vampire fiction, anyway.

The ‘remission’ award goes to Megalo Box: Unlike the coach character, Megalo Box managed to survive its grim diagnosis- ‘sequel to original anime-itis’. The first, and presumably only season pretty much concluded all of the interesting plot elements, so what could this season hope to do? My modest expectations were blown away with more of what I forgot Megalow Box has going for it: heart. Picking up after the titular fight, the story follows Joe scraping by with bad decisions and the harm it has perpetuated on those he cares about. The entire season is about getting back up. Fitting for a boxing anime.

The “better than I thought” award goes to Kyuukyoku Shinka shita Full Dive RPG ga Genjitsu yori mo Kusoge Dattara: The running gags of the game being realistic in only the most annoying ways and the subsequent pariah status of the main character were more entertaining than I would have given credit for. The plot became more interesting as it went on, and I daresay the ending was somewhat satisfying.

The “Sacchrine Sweet” pink packet goes to “Seijo no Maryoku wa Bannou Desu”:
    As far as isekai power fanatasy goes, this was pretty standard, with a strong side of ‘girly’. The interactions were fine, and the reverse harem not at all overbearing, so this was more of an easy watch in a ‘rabbit hill’ sort of ‘everyone gets along generally’ way. Like a nice tea; goes down easy and generally quenches the thirst.

The “robbed again” statement is being taken for “Thunderbolt Fantasy: Touri-ken Yuuki 3”: Probably should have been 1 or 2, this is not technically anime, so has been arbitrarily disqualified. Don’t let that stop you from watching. Wushu puppetry at its finest. The story and dialogue are both detailed and well considered. Largely a continuation of season two, the events of this season are not stand alone, and do seem to lead into future happenings. The hype is real, and so is the quality of Thunderbolt as an entertainment piece.

The “What am I doing here” blank stare is hereby granted to “Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou”: It must have been the discussions here on the forums, because, in hindsight, I’m not sure why I watched this… Niceguy McNothingburger randomly picks up a runaway highschool girl who has done lewd things for a place to stay, and is determined to set her straight… Que the most awkward of sexual advances and scorned flirting from the ‘other two’ options (same age and older) until the plot decides it’s time to wrap up this weak drama.

“License to Cruise” given to “Super Cub”: Ya know, for an advertisement, this was well put together. The main appeal of this to me was the kindred spirit of the girls (yes, this is of course a ‘cute girls do Super Cubs’ show) appreciating the open road, and the independence of self-travel. The chill, classical soundtrack, muted color tones, and mundanity of the quests kept the vibes juuuuuust right for me.

The “overbearing shadow” looms atop “Sentouin, Hakenshimasu!”: Yeah; Konosuba- I really liked that one. No so much since, though, but keep trying, Sensei!

The “mini capstone” goes to “Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai Love Comedy”: It’s been this way for a short while, but I will choose to recognize this show as the point when I have noticed that romantic comedies are beginning to, as a standard, incorporate open affection as the default dynamic. No more spending all season sweating/blushing over ‘will they like me or won’t they?’ The characters love each other, and aren’t shy about it, and the story has to bend over backwards to keep them apart regardless, and stretch it does… The initial ‘hook’ of pretending to be lovers to get some nebulous revenge is quickly swept aside and Osananajimi flounders and flops around for the remainder of its runtime with the usual gamut of Harem Hijinks, beach episode and all…

The “both better and worse” award goes to “86–EIGHTY_SIX”: Designed to tug at heartstrings with all of the tricks that work best on viewers who haven’t watched much like this before- soft focus, sweeping vocalist tracks playing over credits… a competition to see who can die most tragically. It didn’t quite work on me, but the underlying premise is strong enough to carry my interest. Sci-fi horror of self aware AI taking on a humanity presumably too embattled with its own petty politics to effectively fend them off- good stuff, and I’m looking forward to season 2.

The ‘stroke check’ award is presented to “Seven Knights Revolution: Eiyuu no Keishousha”: I had to check if the heat got to me- I liked a mobile game adaptation. There’s about as much substance to this as a placebo medication, but it worked. Lively fight animation and a brisk pace that had a story to both tell and finish telling in one cour gave me my painfully generic fantasy action fix. Would I recommend it? About as much as a stroke.

The ‘eager to finish’ award is split between “Shakunetsu Kabaddi” and “Sayonara Watashi no Cramer”: I just assume I’ll like most sports stories nowadays. They are shounen adjacent enough even when they are not by the spirit of competition, that I tend to enjoy them. Cramer was very gentle, and I lost interest, but word has it that there is some real fun to be had with this girl’s soccer team, and I’m keen to binge it. Same goes for Kabbadi, though the thin-ness of Kabbadi (as a sport) makes it a real stretch to depict something that will retain my interest. I have to try though, because I watched that stupid sumo anime a couple years back, and this is easily better than that just a few episodes in…

My award for the ‘most unnecessary show’, while close this season, goes to “Slime Taoshite 300-nen, Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita”: Fluff, fluffy, fluff. Isekai wish fulfillment slice-of-life crap. Absolutely derivative with nary a single original idea, some bare minimum animation and a threadbare narrative that serves simply as a vehicle for yuri-adjacent pandering and low stakes battles. 7/10; would roll my eyes again.

The ‘gross’ award goes to “Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san”: This season’s bullying fetish show has the titular character slapping sempai near-continuously both physically and verbally (grossgrossgross!) to break down the defenses set up to preserve his loner attitude. It’s cute and effective, and her delinquent friends round out the cast and dynamics well. Recommended.

The ‘grinding’ award goes to “Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?“: Some people really liked the idea of a game player grinding their way to the top of the food chain, but I just saw more isekai and a slightly more interesting take on non-linear storytelling. The human conditions and politics were much better for me than the cave saga and subsequent demon lond ‘is-she-or-is-she-not’ faffing about. The animation also took a bit of a nose dive as it went on. Watchable, but not inspiring.

Summer 2021

3. Boku no Hero S5: While this season undoubtedly felt the pressures of both being produced in a pandemic and having to shift between three contrasting story arcs (where the show begins to visibly crack a bit), this is still a net positive, and no doubt more of what its fans were wanting from another season of HeroAca. I am personally sanddened a bit by how the Redestro arc was ‘trimmed’ in service of time, I suppose, but that material would have much better served the story than, say, some of the slower team battles between class A and B at the beginning of the season. Still a fine watch, but some of the energy has been lost, which I expect to come back next season.

2. Kobayashi-san Chi no Maidragon S: KyotoAni does it again, with an incredibly, unnecessarily, over-animated slice of life iyashikei diddy. The cute character designs, expressions, and little movements were just joyous to watch through and through. Definitely a highlight of this (or really any) season. Only downside is a lack of core narrative, in place of the insipid will-they-wont-they faffing about romance conceit.

1. Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi: Surprising, but this was much better than the thumbnail led me to expect. An genuinely interesting game of cat-and-mouse where deities, born of human desire, are charged with protecting humanity from demons that are recently infiltrating human society, but aren’t particularly good at it. They are actually kind of ambivalent about the whole thing, really, while the demons, certainly not paragons of virtue (fusing human babies in a surrogate womb to propagate their numbers) are actually largely inferior to the god’s power and take the role of ‘underdogs’ against a force that would see them wiped out. In a weird way, it kind of reminds me of the old show Basilisk, in that the two warring factions aren’t sympathetic, but their tactics and interaction really drive the show. That the animation is well done only helps. The non-ending is trash, so I can’t recommend it, but until then, it was a wild ride, and I looked forward to nothing more each week.

The ‘shelf of shame’ award goes to RE-MAIN: I have a problem. I love sport-shounen anime more than I should. I watch absolute garbo so long as it has plucky young atheletes competing against other high schools… So why couldn’t I get around to finishing this? Just like Watashi no Cramer last season, I just have it sitting there, waiting to be watched when I find the time.

The ‘old timer’ antique watch is presented to Tantei wa Mou, Shindeiru: Ten years ago, I probably would have finished this without a second thought: Spunky boy-girl duo, banter, and some action to boot… But now, the whole setup of ‘highschool kids taking on global evil organizations’ thing just feels so played out that it takes me out of the experience. I’m glad there are more anime than ever not about being in high school.

The ‘short bus season pass’ is given to Tokyo Revengers: Oh, Revengers… where to begin with you? Your first episode’s premise, the time travel to save a friend was truly strong enough to carry me though the thick and thin (mostly thin) of your run time. What you could have been… I blame the adaptation for sticking to closely to ‘moving manga’- playing it too safe with material that just didn’t translate well to animation. I said it in its thread, the pacing of dialogue and concurrent events (also known as ‘anime time’) can be painful in a 1:1 translation of manga. Setting aside how ridiculously large the gang population is in Tokyo (300+ for gangs we didn’t know about?), setting aside how worthless the main character was, setting aside just how eye-rolling the posturing became (“I’ll kill you” was said about 200 times per one actual death), setting aside just how annoying hearing Takemitchi imputently plead “Mikey-kun” over and over and OVER… makes my arms tired. Save yourself some frustration and read the manga instead if you like time travel stories navigated by very slow kids. I don’t know if I can ever forgive ‘gang referees’- I go cross eyed just thinking about it.

The ‘fridge back-wall throw-away’ Tupperware goes to Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei Shiteshimatta… X: The first season of this was pretty delightful, but it made the mistake of not being over when the tension and central conceit of the show was completed. MC avoided the flags and made friends in the silliest dense harem protag way possible. Fine. But why is there a second season? Like re-heated leftovers, sometimes it just isn’t as good the second time, and my patience ran out pretty early on when I realized this show was spinning its wheels to force drama and conflict via shoehorned in extra actors. I chose to quit while I could still remember that flavor from the first season.

The ‘mental gymnastics Gold Medal’ unquestionably goes to Kanojo mo Kanojo: Who’da thunk that because Japan hosted the Olympics this year, that they would pull out the stops like this? Polygamy is an unlikely proposition, and there was an acute salesmanship present in each of these characters that makes it possible. The level of misinterpretations mixed with mind-bending earnestness to enable the two girls to co-date the same guy would typically be handwaved in your dad’s harem anime. No so here. An inordinate amount of time was spent carefully building justifications and emotional/mental connections to justify the utterly bizarre relationship dynamics at play. The biggest credit I can give to Kanojo mo Kanojo is that it actually managed to keep the official girlfriend count at two, even when doubling that amount, practically speaking. What a Chad.

The ‘Maxis (Sim City)’ DLC goes to Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki: Not a stand out by any stretch during the season, but this would probably be #4. So much fun and levity were present in the re-building of sustainability, and it kept the geopolitical complexity at just the right amount for my taste. The harem wasn’t even aped on enough to make other elements suffer. This is more of how I was hoping for a ‘modern person in an isekai’ to play out. That he was already planning to become a civil planner was a nice detail that justifies some of the ‘wisdom’ he effortlessly employed. Recommended.

The ‘inadvertent comedy goldmine’ pickaxe was pawned for Bokutachi no Remake: Some people have a very public distain for the essence of how Kyouya, as a character, was portrayed and found success via his time travel shenanigans, and reading those salty tears in its thread was a tongue-in-cheek delight. But for me, the real entertainment value of this greatest waste of time travel ever, was the ridiculous amounts of praise Kyouya got for breathing consistently and never giving up when it would be easier to… give up! There was talk about author insertion wish fulfillment, and if that is the case, the author should gain some self-awareness if for no other reason than so that they can be properly ashamed. The dialogue in this show… one part milk toast platitudes about not giving up when making art, one part saying things are difficult except when they’re not, and a sprinkling of having life altering conversations with people who are about to lose their future when you go back in time… Shakespeare this ain’t, and if/when you see that, it becomes a funny sort of self-parody.

The ‘classiest girls’ masquerade mask was mailed to Kageki Shoujo!!: Pure and straightforward is how I can best describe Kageki. Everything it wanted to say, it said, and the characters and stories were so much better for it. The stories were varied, tragic, and above all, interesting pieces of character building that just heightened the theatrical competition and time simply flew by. A quality product.

The ‘dead inside’ award goes to Uramichi Onii-san: I probably would have liked this a bit more back when I hated my job, but now I can relate in relative terms to making the best of being in an unappreciative workplace, especially a pseudo-creative one that involves answering children’s awkward questions in real time. There aren’t many parallels to this in anime, so I was certainly interested with just how they would play the ‘kill me now’ angle, but this show was surprisingly positive and hopeful at times, choosing to focus on the character dynamics of the children’s TV show cast as opposed to the outright misery of singing kids in costume songs on local television for a living. That was a wise choice, as the characters bounced off of each other well enough to carry the show and even managed to pull off some tender moments.

A ‘Moral implication’ questionnaire has been filled out for Seirei Gensouki: Unlike most isekai, Seirei choose to have an existing character be dually inhabited by the deceased spirit of a Japanese man; a fortune blessed enough to give anybody the easy life, right? Well, not quite. Though he does eventually become Mr. Gary Stu himself via the influence of the mighty Nisei man, the consciousness is never fully absorbed, leading to interesting questions of shared stewardship responsibilities, unreliable memories and narrator, the relationship between spirit and magic… Oh… he just goes to magic high school… and is discovered to be a prince of notJapan later on… nevermind. Checked out.

The ‘well it had to go somewhere’ shrug is awarded to Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken 2nd Season Part 2: I’m not sure what I’m getting out of watching this anymore. The dynamics aren’t interesting now that Rimuru is both OP and basically friends with all of the ½ dozen or so characters that could harm him. The development of Tempest is simply assumed to be progressing now instead of shown, and all we get to see are geographically fuzzy battles between characters we have seen off-and-on for the last season. Diplomacy has become black and white, and characters in the extending cast are seemingly given screen time to remind the audience they exist and what their relationships are to the main cast. There isn’t much left to explore, and the closest thing to an antagonist, Cromwell, shows no signs of expediting his eventual clash with Rimuru. Can you believe I even got tired of hearing 3-6 back to back ‘Rimuru-sama!’s an episode from his loyal retinue/cheer squad?

This season’s ‘down but not out’ award goes to Jahy-sama wa Kujikenai!: These come out once in a while: “What would happen if an overlord type villain had to adjust to powerless wage-slave modern Japan?” Well, pretty much the same thing that they’ve been doing since ‘The devil is a part timer’ aired many years ago, it turns out. Make friends and learn that there’s more to life than conquering the world. Like friendship and paying the rent (or not). That isn’t to say these can’t be entertaining, and this one certainly is, even if the animation is pretty sparse and the character design is pretty pedestrian.

A certain ‘Hairy Sausage’ has been taxidermized for Cheat Kusushi no Slow Life: Isekai ni Tsukurou Drugstore: Fluff. Pure isekai fluff with no transient substance except… that one visual gag of Noel’s tail going bald and the cutaway of that sad looking hairless appendage- a slap in the face to Moe that still makes me smile every time I picture it. At least I could take something away.

A season pass to the ‘Roller Coaster’ award goes to Meikyuu Black Company: This one was ups and downs, and difficult to determine how much I ultimately enjoyed it until after the finale. I’m still torn in that some weeks felt like a waste of time, spinning wheels in the mud, while other episodes were borderline brilliant as Ninomya pursued his goals in the most roundabout, lazy ways. Still undecided.

A whoopee cushion’s ‘slow flaccid fart’ is hereby wafted toward to Deatte 5 Byou de Battle: Three episodes in, I would have pegged this as a contender for #1 of the season, but as the story went on, the clever application of powers gave way to what felt like a convolution of arbitrary alliances and too many characters with not enough screen time to make any particularly vested, coupled with enough duplicated powers to feel lazy and the third trial’s battle being both less interesting and about ½ of the season, and my interest was largely drained by the end. Don’t get me started on the CG… what awful CG staring down off model cells… It’s a shame, because Whoopee cushions are usually more fun when they drag out a little…

Best OP and ED went to Idaten and Black Company, respectively. Super catchy and had the toe-a-tappin'

A pretty good season by my metrics. Here’s to the next!
    Last edited by neflight86; Fri, 10-01-2021 at 04:07 PM.

Very bad season, I don't have a top 3. Nefligh's posting above me was more entertaining than this entire season.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon S2 - While certainly not quite as good as its first season overall in terms of gags and tone, this could very well be the best animated series all year. KyoAni throwing down the gauntlet to their peers in the industry that they will not let up a centimeter in exceling at what they do. Despite its relatively simple art, everything about this season is fantastically animated to a mind-blowing degree. There's films that have worse animation than this season. There are big budget series from top tier studios that don't quite hit this mark in terms of care and detail in movement. What it is is just inspiring.
    The tone is much more somber, and more touching than the pervious. I assume some of this is based on the source material, but also suspect a large amount of it is tied to KyoAni's tragedy, which took many lives involved in the first season. This is a love letter to animation, a heartfelt expression of grief, and a desire to honor those legacies by pushing themselves harder.

Kageki Shoujo!! - A super strong entry for a number or reasons. The series is a expression of love for a staple of Japanese theater culture, the Takarazuka Grand Theater. They have Takarazuka veterans working the music, several acting as VAs in supporting roles (possibly some main ones too). They hired VAs with huge ranges and most of them can all sing at a professional level (quite a few do). The OP is fun, but the EDs were phenomenal with multiple variants. I couldn't pick a favorite. There's reasonable drama across the ensemble cast, heavy at times, but never dipping into melodrama. The directors made a smart decision with a cost-saver episode in the late middle of the series which, while disappointing, allowed the series to go out on a truly fantastic final episode that did the entire series justice. There's progression and growth and all interspersed with great timed comedy relief at strategic points. The whole thing feels like a stage performance.

Kanojo mo Kanojo - If Kageki Shoujo was how to do ensemble drama, and Maid Dragon was how to do a poignant message wrapped in slice of life comedy...Kanojo mo Kanojo was how to perfect farce. You'll know pretty much from the first half of the first episode if you'll like the entire season, or hate it and drop it. I loved it, in no part to how insanely serious it takes itself. The main trio are so honest, so earnest, so trusting, so stupid, and so hopelessly lacking in any self-awareness that you can't help but like them.
    They're busy screaming confessions and pronouncing their mistakes to the whole world out in public while they're supposed to be keeping their situation a secret...and all the background characters are staring right at them, because of course you would if someone was acting like they do throughout the series. The series works in every way that it shouldn't because of a outstanding performance by the main cast, but the heaviest lifting is done by Sakura Ayane. She's the core to making this series work when it really shouldn't. I doubt I would have liked the manga, or at the least I would have dismissed it. The voice cast sells this series completely.
    The art is simple, but crisp in character design. The animation team knew exactly what they were doing with its dual-style to emphasize and elevate the comedy at all the exact moments.
    Plot wise, well, it's one of those premises where the setup should devolve into angst and melodrama, pain and heartbreak. Instead, they play it the exact opposite direction for laughs and it ends up being endearing. As the series progresses, you can recognize all the developments and moments where a drama series would go ugly, but instead it just works out rather nicely because none of them lie to each other. There's also gags that stretch across episodes and numerous callbacks that are honestly rare in most comedies.
    Give it a shot. You'll know if you hate it or love it right away.