Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Toaru Kagaku no Railgun

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David75
    Yup, we are now dealing with Kuroko's limits.
    She's not that bad with her powers and wits, but lacks a bit in the experience/fighting department.
    What's more, she got involved with absolutely no backup available.

Hopefully for her, the guy wasn't that powerful, but he was on his turf and not that dumb... except he didn't understand Kuroko's explanations of what she was about to do...
    He was very dumb at the time, but I think Kuroko was dumb too.
    I would never explain my strategy, intentions and how things should turn out to my enemy in a fight.
    Maybe after I beat them... but not before I do so. I said maybe after, because I do not think it's a good idea even after, since I could meet with the guy another time.
    But I would allow that one in anime, as there's sometimes a need for explanations for the viewers.
    I felt that she was obliged to explain her deadliness as a warning for the guy. As judgment, she can't randomly go out to kill people. When police whip out a gun, they tend to yell "Freeze! or I'll shoot" or something similar. Normal people understand the consequences of being shot by a gun. Since weapons here are so diverse, they took the opportunity to flash out her powers as well as remind us again that Kuroko is part of a law enforcement organisation and not some street gang.

I agree with Zell. Kuroko was totally cool.

I had a different idea of what her attack was going to be though. Given how deadly her warning made it out to be and displaying how well glass can cut concrete, I thought she was going to teleport the glass horizontally in the general area of the guy and cut him open instead. It's the same application as the rods, but on a larger level that does not require pinpoint knowledge of the person's body

Bit too gory for Railgun I guess.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Blog Entries
    Lol, do keep in mind that although extremely powerful these are still just children.

At the exception of a few selected individuals like Accelerator i don't think they are capable of murder

As cool as Kuroko's fight was (if an little inelegant), this is what really made the episode for me.

She's so damn cute!

Blog Entries
    New avatar for Ryllharu

I think that scene was the epitome of her cuteness

The end of the episode did bring up a good point. What the hell is Uiharu's ability anyway?

I'm a bit disappointed in Saten. I thought she was better than that. I guess Mikoto was right though, just because she made it through hard work, doesn't mean everyone else won't take the easy route out. She has been taking her own experiences and impressing them on others, where it usually isn't appropriate. She's at the top of the stack, a lot of others must be jealous no matter how much work she says it took since all to many of them might have tried just as hard as she did early on and never got anywhere.

I'm still half expecting her to casually mention that while she might be a Level 5, she knows a certain someone who can beat her every time.

I always thought Uiharu's ability was centered on something computer related and that was why she was Kuroko's support.

At first I thought Saten collapsed too soon, but then they pointed out at least 5 days have passed since she heard the Level Upper.

And who didn't see this coming about Stripper Sensei?

LOL

This show is slowly but surely growing on me. I especially enjoy how they bring in ah crap I forgot his name...the one with the hand that cancels all the powers...ah yeah Touma.
    Last edited by digitalrurouni; Sat, 12-05-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    The end of the episode did bring up a good point. What the hell is Uiharu's ability anyway?
    You got that just now? I've been curious about it the moment they said she was from Judgement.

Great episode, we're finally getting to the part i haven't read yet ( Why did i ever read the manga? WHY?? ) and the preview looks especially awesome this week

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    You got that just now? I've been curious about it the moment they said she was from Judgement.
    Like RZ, I assumed it had something to do with computers and was pretty mundane. She is also supposedly just a Level 1, so maybe it was something semi-pointless like she can see electrons or something.

When Stripper Sensei wondered if the flowers had anything to do with her powers, Uiharu's subsequent snapped non-reply, and Kuroko made those remarks about if it was in the right place under the right circumstances, etc., I remembered that Uiharu had powers at all.

The ball's rolling very nicely this time, though I'm not too impressed with those demon-eyes in the preview. It just feels too magic-like for this.

I predict that when Uiharu uses her ability under those correct conditions, it would be kickass (as in cool, though not necessarily great). For all we know, she may be a level 1 because all these conditional rules exist that make it practically useless.

I noticed that we're only at Ep 10, and mahou showtime still has this listed as a 24ep anime. Perhaps it was the slow build-up episodes at the beginning, because for me this already feels like the final boss.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    I predict that when Uiharu uses her ability under those correct conditions, it would be kickass (as in cool, though not necessarily great). For all we know, she may be a level 1 because all these conditional rules exist that make it practically useless.
    Ya Bill, I'm sure that Uiharu is just a ticking time bomb ready to explode at any moment

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    Ya Bill, I'm sure that Uiharu is just a ticking time bomb ready to explode at any moment

well, why not?

From the tests we've been shown, they seem to test aspects of one's ability such as:

1) range of effect (Kuroko - may be related to power)
    2) power (Mikoto)
    3) control/consistency (Kuroko managing to hit the spot, Misaka's precisely timing her railgun "magnets" to produce a linear cannon).

I have no idea what Uiharu's power and range is, but if there's multiple conditions that have to be met, and that she has to be "lucky", it indicates to me that her control/consistency is lacking, usually having to do with an undeveloped power.

For example, how Kuroko couldn't teleport herself indicates that she didn't have as much control over them, likely due to the lack of exploration and understanding of how her power works. If conditions have to be "met", it means that there are things you can't yet control, and that you rely on the environment to produce those requirements for you rather than overcoming those obstacles yourself through training and control.

(insert Mikoto's hurdle-talk analogy here - instead of learning to jump your own hurdle, you wait for chance to produce a ramp -> said "condition")

As another example, perhaps Mikoto had to figure out the best way to transfer electricity through air (air has a very high resistance to electric current). If conditions are met (eg direct contact), perhaps she could let out a full blast.

Blog Entries
    That's what i was saying too

I'm sure that the reason why the magicians haven't waged war on the espers yet is because they don't want to piss her off

Final Boss!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu
    I'm a bit disappointed in Saten. I thought she was better than that. I guess Mikoto was right though, just because she made it through hard work, doesn't mean everyone else won't take the easy route out. She has been taking her own experiences and impressing them on others, where it usually isn't appropriate. She's at the top of the stack, a lot of others must be jealous no matter how much work she says it took since all to many of them might have tried just as hard as she did early on and never got anywhere.
    I'm pretty sure Mikoto didn't start her hard work from level zero not even knowing what kind of a power she might have. She started it from level 1 already knowing where she was aiming. It's pretty hard to work hard to develop something when you don't know what you might be developing.

That being said, I understand Saten's point of view perfectly. Getting to level 1 already made her immensely happy because at least she had something, no matter how small. Mikoto was completely correct when she berated herself for not noticing the difference.

Too bad these plot heavy episodes don't leave any room for Touma. I kind of understand how he can't be around: It's not like they could allow him to solve every case in this series as well in addition to Index.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco
    Too bad these plot heavy episodes don't leave any room for Touma. I kind of understand how he can't be around: It's not like they could allow him to solve every case in this series as well in addition to Index.
    Well... Index hasn't started... I remember Index began just when Touma got his summer vacations. And Railgun is taking place during classes... so Touma would have any time to participate here if invited.

So, (Mikoto,) Kuroko and the rest are simply skipping school all the time? Quite responsible and convincing law enforcement members if they skip school for their hobby. Besides, Touma has been around, like the time he stopped that explosion saving Mikoto. I think I believe my own explanation more: They simply don't want to make this another Touma series and thus use him only for occasional comedic or otherwise special scenes to develop Biribiri, but he won't be around to actually help solve bigger cases, leaving thus more room for the actual main characters.

Eh no... this episodes just take place after classes... do see what Uiharu told Saten on the phone: 'you're not talking much in school...and you don't answer my calls'

EDIT:

'Designed for Macindows EXP. Macindows BST Capable. Outel Cora i7 Outside' @ 17:50 owns.

Last edited by RyougaZell; Sat, 12-05-2009 at 01:58 PM.

I wonder what would happen if Touma tried using the Level Upper. The world would implode, probably.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by animus
    I wonder what would happen if Touma tried using the Level Upper. The world would implode, probably.
    That's... a very pertinent question

And remind me of this for next episode's discussion, there's more to this but i can't discuss all of it just yet