View Poll Results: Facebook connect on GotWoot?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Facebook connect is creepy, and I don't like the idea of it.

9 45.00%
  • I use facebook connect everywhere already! I'd love it!

1 5.00%
  • What do I care if I don't have to use it?

8 40.00%
  • Social networking is overrated, because I, like complich8, am a decade older than the rest of the forum population!

2 10.00%

Thread: What are your thoughts on Facebook Connect?

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

What are your thoughts on Facebook Connect?

For the ... like two of you who don't know what it is, Facebook Connect is a tool that lets you link your facebook profile and your account here. As I understand it, that gives you the ability to streamline logins and tie your activity on connected sites to your facebook profile.

Do you think that this would be something worthwhile to pursue (on a strictly optional basis)? Or would you rather not see it happen?

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    don't do it compy. they're gonna find a way to get my animuz forwarded to every job interview i go to...

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    if it's on a user decision basis and you are sure nothing can leak out to facebook for the users who chose not to use the thing... I'm not against it.
    By being sure nothing is leaked out, I mean even messages in threads... although I think google already has them? Well it's a grey thing so I'm probably late on that one.

As you understand, I'm against for myself or if it increases my exposure.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

I intentionally scuttled my facebook account, so I'm definitely biased. But if it brings in just a few more people, then it is probably a good idea. Then again, the people who have facebook broadcast every post they make on gotwoot might not bring in the best kind of attention.

I abstain on the grounds that I am horribly biased.
    (What do I care if I don't have to use it?)

Jounin
    I don't really care. I wouldn't use it since i like to be somewhat anonymous. Wouldn't want anyone that visits my facebook page to know every little thing i do. facebook is mostly for your IRL life. While forums and stuff belong to my online life.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    I see a trend forming here...

My facebook profile is too sexy for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    My facebook profile is too sexy for this.
    Best thing I've read all day.

I personally despise FB, Myspace, Twitter, whatever the hell else people use. Needless to say, I have an account, but since I moved out of state, it's used to keep in touch with old friends, and I occasionally post song lyrics as my status updates. So I kind-of take part in something I hate, but that's about the extent of my connection.

So I wouldn't use it, if it were implemented. To reiterate what TwisT said, FB is for IRL life, forums are your online life. I would be too afraid of the inevitable stalker(s) and/or bringing in the "wrong crowd" as Ryll mentioned.

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.

I opened a FaceBook accound back then when it began... to joing Gotwoot's group, lol.

I disabled the account shortly after.

My question is... will this function autolink if it shares the same email? Or will it still need user input?

Blog Entries
    Oh God... facebook?

Are we gonna get a Justin Weiber theme for the forum too? >_>

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    if implemented, the linking would not be automatic. Basically the first time you used it you'd click the unmistakable "facebook connect" icon, and it'd bring you to a page on the forums asking you what to do.

If you weren't logged in, it'd ask you to either log in or register here. If you logged in and chose to link, it'd associate them. If you register at that point instead, I think it also sort of assumes you meant to register and auto-link (else you'd just click register without using the facebook connect thing, right?).

Beyond that, if it were enabled and you decided to link accounts and then decided to unlink later, there's an option in your profile to do so. Of course, that'd be contingent on facebook connect ... you know ... being implemented.

So far, we're about 50/50 neutral to negative, with nobody really chiming in as "on board". So I think it's probably off the table for now anyway.