View Poll Results: How do you feel about having to click to quickreply?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • That's crap! Just let me reply to the thread!

10 66.67%
  • Don't really care, I never use quickreply anyway.

0 0%
  • Don't really care, it's one damned click!

2 13.33%
  • I prefer to have to do that!

2 13.33%
  • Give me hybrid mode or give me death!

1 6.67%

Thread: Quickreply: to click or not to click?

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

Quickreply: to click or not to click?

So for those of you following along, I'm wondering how people would prefer to use the forums.

So there's basically three browse modes (Nested, Hybrid, Linear). In order to let Nested and Hybrid make sense in the future, we'd have to force Linear and Nested users to hit a button to enable quickreply.

That may have been the way it was in the past, too, but this isn't about the past, it's about the future.

I like clicking, it forced me to find the post I was mainly interested in replying to and then hit the "Quote message in reply?" option.

Without clicking, I sometimes forget if I did click on the post I was interested in and also overlook the quoting option.

My 2 cents. But I'm fine with whichever really, though I think the forcing people to click on it is better.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I don't quite get what it's all about.

From my browser, I type in the "Quick Reply" box, and hit "Post Quick Reply" when I'm done.

Can you explain how the new implemented routine would be different from mine, if at all?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

The difference is that the quick-reply box would be grayed-out until you hit the "quick reply" icon on a post. Once you do that, you should be moved automatically to the now enabled quick reply section so you can type your message in and then enable the "Quote message in reply?" option if so desired.

In all, I would imagine people would like the way it currently is better... but to me, it helps me keep a better routine, since I like to quote the messages I'm replying to, and right now I often forget to hit the "Quote message in reply" since it's grayed out by default regardless if you being able to type in the Quick Reply text box or not. So if we do the click thing, the text box AND the option to quote the message would be enabled at the same time, so in that regard it helps me personally quite a bit in not overlooking some of the options I use.

I don't think we even used to have a quick-reply icon. I think you simply hit on "Reply" and it would automatically enable the quick-reply text box for you to type in. That's if I remeber correctly.

Blog Entries
    Sounds needlessly annoying, i prefer the system the way it is

If I don't 'quick reply' any message, what does the quote option do? SCIENCE!

I just go for the quick reply box immediately, and normal post when quoting. I like it this way

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

a fountain pourin' like an avalanche, comin' down the mountain
    i like having both the button and the box below.

Humans are different from animals. We must die for a reason. Now is the time for us to regulate ourselves and reclaim our dignity. The one who holds endless potential and displays his strength and kindness to the world. Only mankind has God, a power that allows us to go above and beyond what we are now, a God that we call "possibility".

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Sounds needlessly annoying, i prefer the system the way it is
    So annoying that you complained about it in the past for instance?

It's fine that you want it to be the way it currently is, but let's not go overboard with this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    So annoying that you complained about it in the past for instance?

It's fine that you want it to be the way it currently is, but let's not go overboard with this.
    I'm just saying it sounds annoying in comparison to the current system

Keep it how it is now. Having to press a button just feels like an extra inconvenience. When I get to the end of a thread I enjoy easily spamming it like so.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Well, I think it's quite evident that people preffer the way it currently is as expected.

I think we can safely move to the next item in the list.

Forcing the issue makes Nested and Hybrid modes possible. One of the other threads related to this mentioned they might want to be able to avoid long back and forth conversations in a post. Nested would let them skip that.

As it stands, there isn't a point in having the other two modes at all. Threads are a huge mess in the other view modes. Forcing compliance would let them be functional.

I guess it is a moot argument now with the poll results, but I think that needs to be pointed out.

Does anybody even use the nested mode over here? It seems more common among news and blog sites than actual forums.

I prefer the way it is. Even if we were forced to press a quick reply button thread view would not necessarily work as desired because some people (definitely me) who don't use or care about thread view might just hit quick reply to the last post in the thread and go about posting as before. The only way I could see myself voluntarily replying to a specific post instead of just 'the thread' would be If threaded view was the only option available.