Thread: One Piece Episode 472

Phew, for a second there I thought Whitebeard might actually be a douchebag.

Turns out he's actually twice as awesome.

But yeah, if it wasn't obvious before that Whitebeard isn't making it out of this arc alive, it is now.

It was really awesome episode of this show. I love to watch it because of its storyline... Its really nice anime series. I can't digest any other show instead of One Piece.
    Regards,
    Alan

Yeah, this was actually pretty good. I almost got emotional over the deceiving stuff and Whitebeard forgiving one of his "sons" stabbing him. lol

Although I guess Oda wanted to use it to add awesomeness to the scene of Whitebeard giving his "family" the option to run (which they obviously wont do), the old man could've archived alot by just using his power way earlier to do something other than just breaking ice walls or generating a tsunami (maybe something that isn't water so Aokiji can freeze it?). I mean, I'm not saying you can save everyone when going into war, but with his powers I doubt he couldn't at least be some kind of advantage to his followers (and he can be pretty accurate with his devil fruit power as we've seen)... instead he was just standing there for like 20 episodes doing very little. Same thing goes for the admirals.
    I assume that this is some kind of reference from Oda to real wars where the heads usually just give out orders, but that's because they can do at only that, while Whitebeard is said to be the strongest guy in the world. And from what we've seen, he could've probably wiped out all the small fry at the beginning to avoid a huge pack of causalities on his side.
    But well, I'm probably asking for too much here. It's not like that makes it bad, but it at least makes the episode lose some credibility.

Still much better than the episodes with Hancock having mutliple orgasms over being touched by Luffy (or just thinking about him) and all of those rather boring random fights that didn't really archive anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Endrance View Post
    Although I guess Oda wanted to use it to add awesomeness to the scene of Whitebeard giving his "family" the option to run (which they obviously wont do), the old man could've archived alot by just using his power way earlier to do something other than just breaking ice walls or generating a tsunami (maybe something that isn't water so Aokiji can freeze it?). I mean, I'm not saying you can save everyone when going into war, but with his powers I doubt he couldn't at least be some kind of advantage to his followers (and he can be pretty accurate with his devil fruit power as we've seen)... instead he was just standing there for like 20 episodes doing very little. Same thing goes for the admirals.
    I assume that this is some kind of reference from Oda to real wars where the heads usually just give out orders, but that's because they can do at only that, while Whitebeard is said to be the strongest guy in the world. And from what we've seen, he could've probably wiped out all the small fry at the beginning to avoid a huge pack of causalities on his side.
    Maybe with his failing health, he knows he's only got so much in him, so he's saving it for when he really needs it. Like you said, the Admirals aren't doing much either, maybe they're waiting for Whitebeard to exhaust himself. Like, yeah, Whitebeard could probably obliterate all those Pacificstas, but in doing so, maybe he'd weaken himself to the point where he couldn't take on an Admiral at a critical point.

That's what I think anyway, I think he's going to pull a Kimmimaru, and be completely dominant, only to have his sickness kill him mid-fight.

Fair enough possible thought. I hope you're right about that. I wouldn't want OP to fall in a similar light as certain other anime.

Blog Entries
    Hey Marik, is the single of the OP song been released yet?

But well, I'm probably asking for too much here. It's not like that makes it bad, but it at least makes the episode lose some credibility.
    I think Whitebeard holding back and not attacking right away was just him being cautious. He obviously respects Sengoku as a strategist, and if Whitebeard just ran in Luffy-style, there was a good change he would just fall into some trap. Even though he is the strongest man in the world, if this episode showed us anything, its that Whitebeard isn't invulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik View Post
    By mere chance do you the links for the previous ones? I think the last One Piece single I downloaded was before the remix of the first song.

OPs 10-12 & Strong World OST

Last edited by Marik; Tue, 10-26-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Thanks. I'll get those as soon as I get home.

yibis

Last edited by Marik; Sat, 10-30-2010 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenal View Post
    I think Whitebeard holding back and not attacking right away was just him being cautious. He obviously respects Sengoku as a strategist, and if Whitebeard just ran in Luffy-style, there was a good change he would just fall into some trap. Even though he is the strongest man in the world, if this episode showed us anything, its that Whitebeard isn't invulnerable.
    The worst thing in a fight is not to do the wrong thing but to do nothing. Or like Sousuke Sagara said it: Only a second-rate hunter licks his lips before pressing the trigger. So, in my opinion, what you said cannot be true. Whitebeard surely isn't a man of such low calibre.

I rather think it's a combination of what DarthEnder said: he knows he's pretty weak already, and, perhaps more importantly, if he had gone down there immediately, he wouldn't have seen anything but the immediate battlefield right in front of him. We actually saw that the admirals weren't all fighting at the same time, ever. I'd say between the admirals and Whitebeard, there was a sort of mental battle going on, both keeping watch on the other, to possibly counter had the other one done something (like they did with the tsunami and freezing it) or to seize the chance if the other one was sufficiently preoccupied.

I realise my second point is actually close to what you said, Sentenal, but the important nuances are different.

Still, that all being said, this whole operation was terribly planned. Even if saving Ace isn't actually saving one specific man but to make it clear that there will be a swift response to attacks against the Whitebeard pirates, it still makes poor sense if the counterattack achieves little but massive losses on their own side...

Blog Entries
    This is the one part of the Whitebeard was that i have a problem with, Squardo's betrayal and reasoning are both so hard to believe, not to mention that in the grand scheme of things it didn't amount to anything

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    The worst thing in a fight is not to do the wrong thing but to do nothing. Or like Sousuke Sagara said it: Only a second-rate hunter licks his lips before pressing the trigger. So, in my opinion, what you said cannot be true. Whitebeard surely isn't a man of such low calibre.

I rather think it's a combination of what DarthEnder said: he knows he's pretty weak already, and, perhaps more importantly, if he had gone down there immediately, he wouldn't have seen anything but the immediate battlefield right in front of him. We actually saw that the admirals weren't all fighting at the same time, ever. I'd say between the admirals and Whitebeard, there was a sort of mental battle going on, both keeping watch on the other, to possibly counter had the other one done something (like they did with the tsunami and freezing it) or to seize the chance if the other one was sufficiently preoccupied.

I realise my second point is actually close to what you said, Sentenal, but the important nuances are different.

Still, that all being said, this whole operation was terribly planned. Even if saving Ace isn't actually saving one specific man but to make it clear that there will be a swift response to attacks against the Whitebeard pirates, it still makes poor sense if the counterattack achieves little but massive losses on their own side...
    Well, I disagree with "doing nothing is worse than screwing up", but regardless of that, I don't even think that is applicable here. If you smell a trap, you don't go rushing in. I mean that is just common sense. Whitebeard clearly smelled a trap, and wasn't foolish enough to just rush in.

Also, technically all Whitebeard would need to do to "win" at Marineford is rescue Ace, and then excape. Even if they do take alot of losses, if they can trash Marineford, beat down some Shichibuaki and maybe some Admirals, and then get away with their lives, that would be a huge victory. After all, Ennies Lobby was considered a huge victory for the Straw Hats, so getting away with something like this (which is wayyy bigger) would be huge. It would go a very long way to undermine the World Government's authority, and possibly cause even more Pirates to set out to sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenal View Post
    Well, I disagree with "doing nothing is worse than screwing up", but regardless of that, I don't even think that is applicable here. If you smell a trap, you don't go rushing in. I mean that is just common sense. Whitebeard clearly smelled a trap, and wasn't foolish enough to just rush in.
    You likely read it far too literally. The point of the proverb is that if you hesitate in a battle, you will never get the chance to do the right thing either.

What was the trap he smelled? The one that caught him like a sword through his chest because he stayed behind?