Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Piece Episode 482

That just means Luffy's influence hasn't affected him YET.

yibis

Last edited by Marik; Thu, 01-13-2011 at 03:55 PM.

It seems like joining the Whitebeards crew back then was a disservice to Ace. He wasn't anymore his own man after that, serving under somebody as big as Whitebeard. He lost his own drive. Luffy was a captain from the beginning and thus lives for his own ideals and motivations. Based on this episode Ace is happier following Whitebeard to death than continuing on his own. I guess Whitebeard didn't predict this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    It seems like joining the Whitebeards crew back then was a disservice to Ace. He wasn't anymore his own man after that, serving under somebody as big as Whitebeard. He lost his own drive. Luffy was a captain from the beginning and thus lives for his own ideals and motivations. Based on this episode Ace is happier following Whitebeard to death than continuing on his own. I guess Whitebeard didn't predict this.
    Well, we don't really get to see how much autonomy Whitebeard's commanders have. I mean, Whitebeard has a whole fleet, so one assumes that the Commander's probably each have their own ship at the very least. How much freedom they possess is likely related to how much Whitebeard actually has to call on them, which probably isn't very often.

It doesn't necessarily matter how much freedom they had or didn't have. It could also vary majorly from person to person (though this arc didn't make it look like that), but Ace clearly held Whitebeard as the next man down from God himself. Even the stabbing guy betrayed Whitebeard for jealousy, not because he wanted to replace him (showing "healthy" ambition, if you can call it that). They were all living for Whitebeard's glory. I don't believe Whitebeard actually wanted this, but he was so big he couldn't help it.

What happens next is another question. Unlike Ace, some of the other captains actually might be able to naturally go and live on for a future of their own.

Buggy may be weak, but you can't deny that his mere presence in this entire arc so far has done nothing but help Luffy's cause.

I can't help but feel that Buggy contains some type of "ability" that is similar to what Mihawk mentioned about Luffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Even the stabbing guy betrayed Whitebeard for jealousy, not because he wanted to replace him (showing "healthy" ambition, if you can call it that).
    Er, seemed to me that Squard stabbed WB because he thought WB had betrayed them. Not out of jealousy.

Quote Originally Posted by FireEmblem View Post
    I can't help but feel that Buggy contains some type of "ability" that is similar to what Mihawk mentioned about Luffy.
    The ability Mihawk was talking about was Luffy's ability to earn allies seemingly without even trying.

The Marines seems to imply that this is a side effect of his Conqueror's Haki.

Buggy REALLY doesn't seem like he has the strength of will to use Haki.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnder View Post
    Er, seemed to me that Squard stabbed WB because he thought WB had betrayed them. Not out of jealousy.
    Maybe you are right, he isn't a very bright fellow, but I don't think that's the whole truth. Marines betraying them would seem like a silly idea, though, considering they are natural enemies anyway, so it shouldn't affect him overly much. However, Whitebeard clearly did affect him more than he cared to admit. Well, maybe jealousy wasn't the correct word.

Well, the lie was that Whitebeard had betrayed the allied captains in order to save Ace. So I guess betrayal is part of it, but he also could have been jealous of the perception that Whitebeard valued Ace more.

What made the betrayal believable was because of Ace being Roger's son. Since people in this series are predisposed to believe that "evil" runs in the blood, Squardo felt inclined to suspect foul play considering that this was kept hidden from him all this time.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07