Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website Design

Website Design

http://www.wtcourse.com/wtcourse03/

Hola GotWoot. I'm currently enrolled in a Winter Term course at my college, and our final is to create an interactive E-Commerce website.

It's been a long time since I've touched any html, and I was never that experienced to begin with, but at the very least I know design and photoshop.

Comments and critiques please, be brutal.

The color scheme was chosen by my two partners who know next to nothing about web design.....

Edit: All the menu bar links are down, so don't even bother; lol.
    Last edited by Lucifus; Sat, 01-15-2011 at 04:22 AM.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

I just woke up, so no in depth crits yet... but I like what I see ;D.
    -----------------

Thanks; but come on people, im in the zone. Comments and critiques, whatever you think doesn't fit, or might fit well let me know. I want to get the website template done and move on to the rest.

I've never made an e-commerce site before, and its been at least 4 or 5 years since I've touched MySQL. Anyone know what I should be focusing on next, or any good tutorials to setup a pimping sales section?

And what the hell is UberCart, what other options are there?

EDIT: O and also, how difficult would it be to create a fairly gotwoot like forums for this site in my own image? Are there any packages/modules I could simply download to mold into my own design?

Where are the anime banners?

The search box looks weirdly placed in regards to the logo location.

Also the menus need to be shifted to the left.

LoL, critique and I might find some under my bed.

"MYOPTIONS" or "MY OPTIONS"?

Maybe a hover style on the menu labels changing the color of the font to a darker shade or to a bluish color would be nice.

Overall, I like the color scheme. I think the white borders of the box in the middle of the page might look better with a grayish color.

The basic theme looks quite nice. But if I think of my favourite computer store's website, I'd say you'd need to have a bunch of good bargains right on the front page. If you think of the visitors, they are people looking for computer parts (I guess that's the kind of e-commerce site you are going for), so you need to captivate them during the very first seconds of their visit or they will quickly leave unimpressed, not bothering to browse any further.

I'd also move the website address right under the "Ballistic Computing". It seems a bit lost on its own.

You need the login text boxes readily available in an easy to find location.

I'd also make the Banner section (what I assume is being used to place a banner, which is empty now) much thinner so the content of the website is higher and readily visible for people who enter the page. Don't make them scroll down just to start seeing content.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I think the colours need to be flashier. At the moment it's lifeless. "Cool", but not something that you'd want to interact with.

Space usage is fairly poor at the moment. Think about what things are useful that you can have around the place, and what can go. For example, if articles are going to be a major feature of the site, have a small section to the side with perhaps the latest 5 articles linked, instead of making the user click "Latest Articles". People may not be initially interested in your articles, but by a topic you covered instead.

If you have no use for that banner space, have the gallery rotating up there instead. Makes things more eye catching.

Also, for the gallery, stick to a scroll-bar style one. When I looked at what you had there with those pictures on top of each other, i thought the layout was broken. When using a well-designed site, one should know where each click will lead them, not guess.

Consider having the shopping cart amount and access in the top right instead of a drop-down.

Search bar could be smaller. No need to be so big.

The address of the site is unnecessary. If people are seeing the site, they know where to go (or where to find out).

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Blog Entries
    It looks very sleek, though I'm not much of a fan of the gallery

Overall, good job. I wish most of the internet looked like that.

Thanks for the critiques guys, very helpful and on point. You guys got me motivated to do some major changes to the template before we begin work on er.

I'm still not done with the centerpiece of the homepage, it needs to be even more functional and stylish.

Thanks for the critiques, anymore would be a great help!

http://www.wtcourse.com/wtcourse03/

I'll definitely be editing the hell of the the content section with the gallery, article, and shoutout tabs. Its fugly as it is right now, and not too functional either.

Edit: It's come to attention after browsing my site on my laptop, that Munsu was totally on the money. With my laptops resolution, I can barely see past the second divider bar. I'm going to have to remedy this. =(
    Last edited by Lucifus; Sun, 01-16-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Well, I completed the site to some extent and got my grade; learned a lot creating it, but that's as far as I'll go with that one.

Anyway, just pulled an all nighter to start a new project.

http://home.eckerd.edu/~jmatkins/index.html

Comments and critiques please! Your last one;s really helped me out.

Blog Entries
    What are you planning to do with the space below?

Regardless, it looks pretty great so far. I'd probably just move the login to the right of the below bar ( the one with the rotating text ) as to save space for the photos.

^ yeah, other than that, not much to criticise until more content is shown at the bottom.

I would shrink the login box by about half horizontally and move it to the right. Keep it at the top, that would be fairly consistent with most commercial sites. Then go with a simplified logo to the left to balance it out.

Looks good so far otherwise.

Just got down with my latest and first in a long while.

Critiques/Comments anyone? Did it for a friend o mine in the music business.

my100brand

O, and you guys should totally watch the first you-tube video on the home page. Because it rocks.
    Last edited by Lucifus; Sun, 06-12-2011 at 04:28 PM.

./apologizes for the double post.

I totally scrapped the last one and spent all weekend learning HTML5 and CSS3. I've learned so much. =D

Anyways, please mofackers, critique! I plan to present this Monday.

http://www.my100brand.com/

http://home.eckerd.edu/~jmatkins/

Another School Project; used a template I made a while back and improved on er. Assignment is simply to make a e-commerce site with PHP functions. Fairly certain I'm the only overachieving bastard who actually made a full blown site.

Regardless, critiques/comments? I intend to host this site as my first personal online venture.

Being able to use the scroll wheel in the quantity field is kinda odd, when it appears at all. In IE, it's just a regular box. The weird scrolling thing occurs in Opera (but nobody cares, fun though). It also goes into negatives.

The layout of the sign-in bar at the top is weird. It's centered, yet the logo makes it look like a mistake, since the line between the two bars is cut off in that spot. Suggest tossing it all to the left side or stretching it to the length of the window and defining a limit on where the login boxes go, eliminating the logo issue.

Personally I've never been a fan of the "centred, blog-like listing" feel. Seems kind of crude. Could you instead narrow those products into a "list view", which when clicked would open up a page dedicated to the product instead?