Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GotWoot Fansubs Banners & Other Art

Thanks so much for the fast reply. Much appreciated.

Yep, it's light's eyes when he's all "keikaku dori!".
    -----------------

I'm thinking about changing the dimensions for the project banners. The aspect ratio of the boxes compared to the design of the page looks pretty weird.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Nevermind about aspect ratio. Can someone make project pics for

Senki Zesshou Symphogear
    -and-
    Showa Monogatari
    ????

250x200

Contest — free money for one of you guys!

Alrighty. Been a long time; thus I fear Alhuin will take the gold.

michiko.png

daisy.png

erza.png
    Last edited by Lucifus; Wed, 01-16-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

Limited to 6 per post.

samurai.png

aegis.png

mitchiko2.png
    Last edited by Lucifus; Tue, 01-15-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Are there any specific anime that GotWoot are particularly known for as of now? Otherwise I'm just going to go into my usual Eva, FLCL, Death Note, Alchemist, Gundam.... etc. bag of tricks.

Anyway here's my first attempt. Like to know what you guys think... or which you prefer?

v1
    AsukaGotwootBanner_zps1d497a05.jpg

or
    v2
    AsukaGotwootBanner2_zps80f34b9e.jpg

Thanks. Had a great time working on it!

Original for those interested:
    asuka.jpg
    Last edited by Kagemane_no_Jutsu; Mon, 01-14-2013 at 06:25 PM.

A little one toned, the background however is excellent, as well as the text.

The major issue is the render doesn't match at all. Poor quality render mate. Find another one maybe?

Don't take those crits the wrong way; I'm sure mine all suck, hah. Been a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifus View Post
    My...my god; people still browse GotWoot?!

Alrighty. Been a long time; thus I fear Alhuin will take the gold.
    The Saber one is beautiful, mainly because I used that same render on my previous sig, haha. I think a few touchups to it and it will be perfect. The Michiko one is pretty good too, though the front part of her hair seems jagged. The Yin one doesn't look like Yin at all, and the background is... I guess they're supposed to be rock formations sticking up? =P The others are pretty good, but those three are my favorites. Oh, and the Eva one is good, except the part on the arm is a little too transparent.

As far as anything from me, I don't think I'll submit one. Haven't had any motivation recently, and it was hard enough making banners for this forum (too much space to work with sometimes). Actually, some of the banners I have here I look at now and I think "How did I ever think those were that good", haha. But, I might poke around a bit later on and see if I can come up with anything for you to criticize.

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.

@Lucifus, I think the "GotLove?" banner would be my favorite of the bunch. The Eva one is nicely done as well.

@Alhuin, you should totally make one man!! I always love to see what you put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifus View Post
    A little one toned, the background however is excellent, as well as the text.

The major issue is the render doesn't match at all. Poor quality render mate. Find another one maybe?

Don't take those crits the wrong way; I'm sure mine all suck, hah. Been a long time.

Nah of course, I appreciate your opinion and it was very useful. I still like my original version, tho I can see what you mean with the image's quality. So I took your advice and found a nicer, and more current, Asuka image. Had to mess with the background quite a bit to get it to flow nicely but luckily I had done a nice enough job the first time that it didn't take much rearranging to match the new Asuka. Spent more time blending and while I'm sure I could mess with it for another hour I'd rather just post it and get your opinions on it.

Also tried to make it less one toned based on your suggestion ^^ Thankyou!

Asuka Gotwoot Banner 2point0.jpg

Well, I'm personally not too proud of it, but Luci said it's pretty good, so I'm submitting one. The text placement was pretty much the only thing I could do with it. I had opted to go textless, but it seems it's a requirement. Also, borderless feels so strange to me. Anyways, let's see what you all have to say about it.

Gotwoot Fansub Banner 1a.jpg

EDIT: I tried posting the image itself, but the forum resized it, so I just have to link it.

EDIT 2: I decided to just attach the image, so there could at least be a preview.
    Last edited by Alhuin; Thu, 01-17-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Borderless? Oh snap.

Well, I glanced at the details again, and it doesn't mention anything about borders actually. I was basing my assumption on what Luci had told me. I think I'm going to add some just in case. I'll hold onto the versions without though.

Here's a random one I just wanted to make. Lack of colors make it boring, but I couldn't pass the thought up. If anything, it's humorous.

Gotwoot Fansub Banner 2b.jpg
    Last edited by Alhuin; Thu, 01-17-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Last edited by Lucifus; Tue, 01-15-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Grrr, post limit.

saber5.png
    Last edited by Lucifus; Wed, 01-16-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Why not try working on two or three instead of cranking them out like mass production? Some of these are very well designed.... but it seems like the ones with a darker background work nicer with the style you're doing. Maybe try doing some brushing around your focus.... or blur the background a bit. Anything so its not "anime character---stock photo---text". Some adjustments would definitely help it to feel more like its one image. Maybe color balance it a bit.

Umm only other advice I could think of would be to try and give it a uniform direction. You want the flow of the banner to move with the foreground and the background toward the same direction.

And maybe try putting some gradients in your text like Alhuin did.

Thanks for the advice; half of what you mentioned (color balancing, direction, extras besides stock bg and render) I've already applied to most of the new banners. Just like everyone here, I am totally out of practice, and I have lost nearly all of my photoshop resources save for an old collection of renders.

Brushes, Fonts, Patterns, C4D's, everything. So thus far all the banners I've made have just been simply to re-associate myself with lighting and Photoshop. The awesome stuff will come later if I can keep my motivation up.

Yea, a few of the text's have font gradients, and others not so much. If I have time before this contest deadline, I'll go back and work a bit on each banner individually to work out the kinks.

As for the number of em, I don't know if you've looked on the Gotwoot fansub page, but the submissions are downright horrendous; with the exception of a couple clever ones and this one dude who looks like he copied and pasted wallpapers into banner form. So I figured unless you and Alhuin jump in, Sapphire's going to need some banner content.

Luci, I totally forgot to comment that I'm loving all the recent banners. The Saber ones are, of course, my favorites, but that Motoko one is just damn beautiful! The contrast between her purple hair and the blue background... I'm in love. I already talked to you about working with the text a bit more on some of them, so I won't criticize that here, but I will say that I have to agree with Kage on the "darker backgrounds fit your style better". I didn't really notice it until he pointed it out, but all the lighter-background ones seem too... bland I guess? Those are the ones I feel like are very apparent "stock background... anime image... text... etc." that Kage mentioned. But keep up the great work as always!

Also, @Kage: The "quality over quantity" sentiment is very true, and I agree with that, but I have to side with Luci on this one. Most of the banners linked on the contest page are horrid. I don't mean to judge anyone, but I feel like I cranked out better things in MS Paint back in the day than some of those entries. Don't get me wrong, everyone has their starting points, and I'm all for encouraging people to "keep at it", but these are going to be hosted on a public website, and are meant to draw people into the group. So I'm all for submitting as many as possible from talented people so Sapphire has an easier time choosing multiple images to host. That being said, there are actually some pretty good ones submitted, and I hope they are included in the rotation, even if they don't "win" the contest.

Luci's motivation compelled me to create another one:

Gotwoot Fansub Banner 3.jpg

I'm actually quite proud of this one myself.

Excellence! Absoultely Beautiful you whore! Will comment some more in a minute, be right back.