Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: TV: Game of Thrones

I think the point of several of the 'boring' Starks is to play the roles of the traditional 'good guys' to reflect how silly, ineffective, and downright uninteresting those sorts of characters are in as un fairy-tale like world as the ASoIF universe. Ned was the good and honest man who always tried to do the 'right' thing by the standards of traditional fantasy. Robb is the young hero who is driven to take up arms in righteous rebellion against the powerful and evil foe that has wronged him. Sansa is the princess who sits in a tower and waits for Prince Charming to come and rescue her because she can't do anything for herself. Catelyn is the myopic mother who is so focused on the immediate safety of her family that she can't make sound strategic judgements that account for the world at large.

While I find their motivations and lack of efficacy rather dull I think it's interesting having them around as something of a 'good/neutral' party on the morality scale to reflect how much more successful and effective the schemers and plotters are at achieving their goals than the upstanding and morally courageous types who can't seem to get much for all their righteousness and senses of propriety. I also find it interesting that all of the Starks who seem to fail so miserably are the heads/first-borns of the Stark line. While the the illegitimate/second children, have gone in a rather different direction and have amply demonstrated a superior ability to roll with the punches the world keeps throwing at them and keep going strong.
    Last edited by Yukimura; Fri, 04-26-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    I'm a little confused why they've continued bringing up the boy's sex talent with the whores. At first I thought it was just Lord Baelish repaying Tyrion but am I missing something here? Why do they keep bringing it up? Or did they just use it as a literary device to bring up the talent of the ex-whore who works for Varys?
    It's a funny running joke? Not everything has to be this incredible plot foreshadowing or w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by Y View Post
    It's a funny running joke? Not everything has to be this incredible plot foreshadowing or w/e.
    Yeah. I think the point is to add a bit of humor to the show, but also, it does show that sexual performance has always been a rampant theme throughout time.

True story.

"Always be yourself... unless you suck."

Oh wow. That... was really amazing.
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

That is not a flattering pic of Khaleesi.

Mmmmmmmm Ygritte, go Jon Snow!

Cersei's plan backfired in a hilarious way lol
    Btw, did anyone else think Tywin looked almost cross-eyed at points in that scene?

Loved the scene with Jamie/Brienne in the bath.

Brienne's skin was positively glistening. The actress has an excellent figure (at the worst her behind-body-double does), it was hard to tell under the armor. Major bonus points for Jamie being a champ about getting cut apart by a psychopathic doctor and getting his stump boiled in wine all without painkillers.

The Cult of Light is really starting to creep me out. I worry about the young blacksmith, true heir to the Baratheon throne. He's definitely going to get brainwashed.

The scenes between Stannis' daughter and the Onion Knight were cute. I wouldn't mind seeing the two of them flee and join the pirates.

Sansa is totally like Princess Peach. Wanted by everyone, but completely vapid and naive.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Mon, 04-29-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Brienne's skin was positively glistening. The actress has an excellent figure (at the worst her behind-body-double does), it was hard to tell under the armor. Major bonus points for Jamie being a champ about getting cut apart by a psychopathic doctor and getting his stump boiled in wine all without painkillers.
    Having Brienne "clean up nicely" is pretty ridiculous, but such are the concessions for television. She's great for the role, much like Tyrion, I don't need them to actually be ugly.

The Cult of Light is really starting to creep me out. I worry about the young blacksmith, true heir to the Baratheon throne. He's definitely going to get brainwashed.
    Although Gendry is Robert's bastard child, he has no actual claim of legitimacy to the throne since he was not a product of the royal marriage. But such things aren't the most salient concern, as Renly pointed out. Hell, Robert wasn't "legitimate" when he seized power himself.

The scenes between Stannis' daughter and the Onion Knight were cute. I wouldn't mind seeing the two of them flee and join the pirates.
    I'm glad we're meeting Stannis's wife and daughter, who iirc were only mentioned in passing last season, making me think they got cut.

Sansa is totally like Princess Peach. Wanted by everyone, but completely vapid and naive.
    I think she *was* vapid and naive. She isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but she had murder in her eyes coming after Joffrey after Ned's execution, and then had to basically shut down in order to survive inside King's Landing. She is traumatized all to hell and being spun different ways by master manipulators, it's a wonder she hasn't lost her mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Y View Post
    I think she *was* vapid and naive. She isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but she had murder in her eyes coming after Joffrey after Ned's execution, and then had to basically shut down in order to survive inside King's Landing. She is traumatized all to hell and being spun different ways by master manipulators, it's a wonder she hasn't lost her mind.
    While all true, I'd like to see her be a little bit more like her brothers and sister, not just being a tool used by everyone that comes to King's Landing. She's as well educated as the rest of the Starks, and while their family are certainly the least experienced to the backbiting of court, Sansa should be better than the rest of them at it by now. Certainly better than fumbling Robb, losing half his army by not being harsh enough the first time, then being too strong the next time.

Yet she still believes whoever smiles at her...

It's hard watching her get emotionally destroyed each season. Everyone else fights against what fate has dealt them, Sansa just lets it all happen to her.

Blog Entries
    Loved the ending, eat shit Cersei! I'm worried she'll have the Tyrel homo killed though, bitch is relentless.

Tyrion Lannister and Sansa Stark 4 EVA!

assertnfailure (7:40:03 PM): dude....your posts are a bunch of nonsense

Great things happens when you have these 3 Lannisters in one room.

Thanks shinta|hikari for the sig.

Sansa is so naive because she grew up so pretty.

So now this means Baelish knows the Tyrell's plan, which the Lannister's now know. How will the Tyrell's let the Lannister's get away with this? Something's gotta give.

Like Tywin said, it is still a Tyrell plot. The Lannisters just need to move first and announce their plan before the Tyrells. At that point they can't complain and oppose anymore.

Why would Lord Baelish let Sansa be wed to the Lannisters? Or even help them? IIRC, Baelish wanted Sansa for himself or as a prize/hostage to get Lady Catelyn.

Let her be wed to the Lannisters? I don't really think there's much he can do to stop Tywin from just doing what he wants lol

He can just kidnap and go to wherever he was supposed to go. He's leaving for home or something right?

Knowing lord Baelish, he prolly have something in plan. He needs Sansa as a bargaining chip for Catelyn.

What other options did Robb have besides killing the Karstark? Any chance he could reason with him and still gain respect out of it?