Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VB Upgraded

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries

VB Upgraded

welp, I've finally gone and done it and upgraded vbulletin to the 4.x series.

Totally new styles, etc. We'll be using this to eat the front-page at some point, but for now just the forums.

Big thanks to Kraco for doing the icon theme work, and for the folks in the "new banners" fanart thread for the new banners you see up top. And to all the folks who did test driving on the dev forums, too!

Let us know about any style tweaks or other suggestions to make things better!

Wooot! New GotWoot! Thank you kindly Complich.
    Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.

It looks amazing. I especially like that the layout is much wider than it was before. *thumbs up*
    Good job...

I'm curious about whether the banners will be updated though... There are several posted in the thread with the updated recommendations concerning advertising and whatnot.

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    That's a good question, to which I say thee: yea!

(Actually, I just got done doing that... should see them there now)
    Last edited by complich8; Sun, 01-16-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks comp, looks really good in my opinion.

Thanks indeed! I'll get down to fixing those few icons that bypassed my radar and still need changes.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I guess I'll need some time to adjust to the new feel. I'm too old to accept a change directly

I also understand that fine tuning everything means goes against easy upgrades and maintenance. But I still hope some fine tuning will regarding the theme/icons and everything visual as it's for the moment less 'slick' than before.

Regardless, thanks for the hard work, always easy to criticize when you only get to use things for free without helping.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Blog Entries
    Looking good there comp, is there anywhere where we can learn about the new features?

Haven't been on recently, but wow, looks very nice!

Okay, not sure if it's something on my end, something that is already being looked at, or something that wasn't known about... but I was editing a post just a minute ago, and decided I wanted to "go advanced" (since it appears emoticons aren't in the quick edit box, at least for me), but when I clicked the button, nothing happened. So I figured it post to let you know.

It's dangerous to go alone. Take Nep.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuin View Post
    I was editing a post just a minute ago, and decided I wanted to "go advanced" (since it appears emoticons aren't in the quick edit box, at least for me), but when I clicked the button, nothing happened. So I figured it post to let you know.
    Ditto. I posted about that in complich8's blog entry.

We discovered it this morning, don't know yet why it's happening.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Quickreply -> go advanced is fixed.

The details: Vbulletin 4.1.1 introduced a "PATHS" variable defined in the headinclude template and uses it in vb_quick_edit.js. The theme was built and tested in 4.0.3 and 4.1.0PL2, and didn't define that variable, so when you clicked go advanced, it'd barf on the undefined var and exit. Adding it in seems to have fixed it.

I apologize for being late with this suggestion.

I find that having the "Home" link underneathe the banner is a bit redundant since the main website has been abandoned and has been replaced by "Gotwoot Fansubs".

Isn't it better if the "Home" link is removed? I don't see any other purpose for it anymore other than a tribute to the previous layouts.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    The home link serves as the only existing link between the forums and the main page though. If we remove it, the only other way to get back is to type www.gotwoot.net into your address bar.

It is rather useless in that no one really visits that page anymore (since there's no real reason to), but to get rid of it means to make the forums a one-way trip.

I would vote to keep it for site integrity alone.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Looks nice, kind of miss the old one but don't miss the one before that. Great job xen monk.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

sorry for the double......

Is it me or has the Albums vanished, what happened to them?

edit: nevermind false alarm, i didn't realize that there is an option to set your albums to private now. I guess all the old ones are gone, casualties of the upgrade or maybe I just haven't seen them or they are all set to private.

p.s. Is there a size limit? If anyone ever reads this and you know please answer.
    Last edited by dragonrage; Thu, 05-26-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    ___
    ---------------------------- "THE DROPOUT CREW"--------------------------------
    ________Deblas, IfingHateTonTon, RyougaZell, dragonrage.________

________ we may fuck up alot but we always pull thru.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Ever since the upgrade that brought with it the "new" looking textbox, I've noticed a few things:

1) When I'm trying to post from my mobile device (Nokia N97, Opera Mobile browser) the text input is inconsistent. Sometimes I can't click onto the box to start typing, and at times it will also remove my paragraph formatting and put my entire post into one big paragraph.

2) The second thing I've encountered when I'm browsing this using FF6 and W7: When I make a release post with a link for an episode, then go back after I've watched the episode myself and start editing with comments below it, the entire contents of the post will be hyperlinked with the torrent link. When I go to highlight the relevant sections and unlink them using the button in the textbox, the entire post becomes unlinked, and I have to manually relink the episode title with the corresponding release link.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I presume you are using the wysiwyg mode when you encounter the link problem? Maybe something there is broken. I never use it, so personally I haven't noticed. When you next time see it, maybe you could switch to the plain tagged mode and see how it looks like (the tags, that is).

I use Opera Mini or Nokia's own browser on my cellphone to browse Gotwoot, but I have probably only made so simple posts that I wouldn't see your mobile troubles.

I get the link problem all the time. It started happening a month or so ago when VB was upgraded again. I usually have to click the button on the far left (black A / blue underlined A one) to fix it. Switch Editor to Source Mode is what it's called.