Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Psycho-Pass

Psycho-Pass

From Anidb:
    In the future, it is possible to quantitatively measure a person's emotions, desires, and every inclination. In this way, it is also possible to measure a person's criminal tendency factor, which is used to judge criminals.

This is the story of a team of policemen dedicated to maintaining public order. Some of them work in the Enforcement Division, responsible for the apprehension of criminals, while others belong to the Supervisory Division which oversees their colleagues in Enforcement.
    Studio: Production I.G.
    Writter: Gen Urobuchi(Fate/Zero, Phantom of the Inferno, Madoka)

Ep 01:
    [HorribleSubs] PSYCHO-PASS - 01 [720p]
    [HorribleSubs] PSYCHO-PASS - 01 [360p]

My Impressions:
    Probably the best show of the season. Action, art quality, universe - everything seems to be really good.. also - Dominator is deadly.
    Number of works of fiction that made me shed at least one tear: 3
    Thou seeketh soul power, dost thou not?
    TOX: 33524385841A92B08787EEBEBA2DB51ED293C4F15A2E292F3F C92165E82388281433A77EA8FE

Watched ep 1. Extremely disappointed.

I HATED the new police girl. Makes no sense for such a shy, un-confident, clumsy girl to join some special forces unit. Also these police robots that built a border around the block - why did they have those kawai anime-faces?!
    This was one of the shows I was looking forward to, but these completely out-of-place elements are very off putting. Production value is high, art style is good, animation great. Why lessen its quality through anime clichees and tropes? Annoying.

But I will keep watching ... for now. Maybe it gets better or I can grow used to it.

There's an interesting (and not too long) article about the beginnings of this show on ANN. Worth a read if you have a couple of minutes of time.

One of the best shows this season, no doubt, and no wonder with this script writer. At first I was taken aback by the sudden appearance of the cute, green officer girl after the foreboding atmosphere and the manly beginning, but I soon found her interesting and funny instead of detrimental to the story. In fact having her there with her naive fresh out of the academy notions contrasts nicely with the inhumane nature of the society.

It's one more Hanazawa Kana voiced role, but I'm happy with the voice actors. The production values seemed also jolly good in general.

Blog Entries
    Minority Report: The anime

It was alright, i'll definitely be looking forward to the next episode.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I think I'll pass. Not my thing.

Gory scens are probably needed, just that in a cyberpunk environnement where you can evaluate people psychological states from a distance, where you try to keep apparences, it's a little strange to have a weapon that has you implode at the cellular level covering everything/everyone with bloody remain in a 5 meters radius.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Minority Report: The anime
    That's what I thought, and I haven't even seen Minority Report.

I don't think this is the best show of the season (still held strongly by Shin Sekai Yori and Kaibutsu-kun atm), but I liked this episode. The guns take way too long to assess things though (unless you can use your eyes as a proxy), they won't be much good if someone ambushed you in limited visibility.

And I thought the voice of the gun was only intended for the wielder? The show made it sound like every announcement was made for all officers to hear.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I really hate the character design.

It's no surprise since it turns out it was the Hitman Reborn mangaka who designed them. The guys look fine, which unfortunately makes the girls look that much worse. Each of them look like they've been hit in the face repeatedly with a shovel until they look like a boxer who barely won by decision after 10 rounds. Super droopy eyes that are ridiculously oversized for their face (again, made worse by the fact that the men in the show look normal), making it look like bad 90s anime.

At least the story was done by someone els, Urobuchi Gen. Of course, Blassreiter being his other cyberpunk series, the plot could go either way.

I'll give it another episode or two, but this is already on my "probably drop" list.

edit: On the positive side, it does remind me of Witch Hunter Robin, with all the characters shuffled around. That took a little while to get started, so this will certainly get the requisite three episodes. Maybe I'll be able to look past the character design.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 10-13-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    There's an interesting (and not too long) article about the beginnings of this show on ANN. Worth a read if you have a couple of minutes of time.
    We need more people like this, here is to hoping the show succeeds in a big way so we can anime in the right direction again

Can't judge it based on only one episode yet tho the world seems interesting

It felt Production IG good - with all that futuristic noire goodness to it.

I will watch this, Kraco's assessment about the production value feels right and the intro scene made me thinking of Comboy Bebop's movie last fight scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma View Post
    It felt Production IG good - with all that futuristic noire goodness to it.

I will watch this, Kraco's assessment about the production value feels right and the intro scene made me thinking of Comboy Bebop's movie last fight scene.
    I think this is gonna be one of my top favs. Love the cyberpunk theme so it had a bit of gits feeling to it's especially with production ig

Blog Entries
    So far so good, seems to be starting slow but i haven't lost interest yet.

I like the show's outlook on the future, they're doing a good job of selling the world they created to the viewers.

I already said it in irc, but I think the cookie-cutter unsure but gifted main character girl seems to work better in this show than in many others with less complete and different setting and atmosphere. During the first episode I simply found her amusing and though the wrongness in the world was nicely reflected against her naivety, but now I'm thinking she does also bring something of her own onto the table. I especially liked how she got so different responses from the different enforces and other people, even if I'm not going as far as claiming there would have been any especially unique characters in this show so far.

Dat implied lesbianism was hot.

I think after having watched the second episode, I can look past the character design and just enjoy it. They're doing a good job with the setting, infusing everything with it, and the hidden dystopia in this "perfect" system lurks around every corner, a nice touch. That's how series like this should be done. Take one idea, and run with it to extremes and how it impacts every layer of society.

The Enforcers generally hate her already, as they should for shooting one of their own on her very first day, except the one she shot, interestingly enough.

I think what really sold me the series was the conversation she had with her friends, and with the punk enforcer in the cafeteria. Two very different viewpoints, but both questioning her choice to go into public safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    The Enforcers generally hate her already, as they should for shooting one of their own on her very first day, except the one she shot, interestingly enough.

I think what really sold me the series was the conversation she had with her friends, and with the punk enforcer in the cafeteria. Two very different viewpoints, but both questioning her choice to go into public safety.
    It's true most would hate her, or at least not like her if hate is too strong a word. Most people we have seen so far have been birds in a cage in one way or another. The enforcers even more so with their destiny predetermined even straight from their childhood. But even so, like I said in my previous post, their outlooks were suitably varying. The young dude was outright hostile, out of youthful envy, perhaps. The old man has seemingly given up and is just living from day to day and wants nothing to disturb his peace; so he willingly advices Akane a lot to make sure she just lets things slide as smoohtly as possible. Although he also looks like the kind of a person who would suddenly snap if given a chance.

Kougami is vastly different from the rest, or of those that we have learned anything about, at least, because he doesn't particularly mind being an enforcer, supposedly having a goal of his own that likely benefits from that occupation. That's precisely why he can easily make Akane cry tears of relief. Being the only person there with eyes set beyond the horizon, he's at the moment stronger than anyone. Akane should have had all the doors open but in fact didn't know what to do with those doorways, so she's understandably very weak, in addition to being simply inexperienced.

The old man has seemingly given up and is just living from day to day and wants nothing to disturb his peace; so he willingly advices Akane a lot to make sure she just lets things slide as smoohtly as possible. Although he also looks like the kind of a person who would suddenly snap if given a chance.
    Akane was insightful enough to notice that the old man's words as they were leaving the mall translated to, "Don't get in our way. You're only needed on scene with us because it is required."

He seems friendly, but currently he dislikes her as much as the young guy does. The other two women are at least courteous to her, but they're not friendly either.

The old guy definitely sees her as being a burden on how things have been running, but I'm not so sure about the punk fellow. He was angry at the cafeteria, but when the girl delivered her report he seemed surprised, then pleased.

He was angry at her because she had all this choice but wasted it.. (as well as thinking she was probably not cut for the job). He might not understand or approve of her ideas at this point, but he's definitely glad an interested that she has them.

The Dr brought up the idea about reforms. That's going to be the MC's role in all this.

(I had forgotten last episode that the crew were "latent" criminals and not actual criminals, even if the difference means nothing to Sybil.)

As for the whole slow-gun issue I raised last time, if we're catching future criminals, it's probably safe to say they're not carrying a gun right now since Sybil is supposed to pick up on their state of mind right before that should occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    He seems friendly, but currently he dislikes her as much as the young guy does.
    Yeah. He's old and thus has more experience under his belt. Despite being a latent criminal, he's still in good control of his feelings and actions, unlike the young chap. So, he doesn't lash out with harsh words, but rather tried to make sure Akane won't cause unnecessary trouble by fumbling around blindly. But like you said, he's not really any happier, deep down. Plus I don't think he'd be as quick to change his point of view as the young dude.

I hope the next episode will reveal something more about the silent woman. It does seem like a manly place, so she could use a friendly woman around.

I hope the next episode will reveal something more about the silent woman. It does seem like a manly place, so she could use a friendly woman around.
    If what she was doing in this episode was any indication, she was a member of a light music club in school, but her lesbian tendencies were vehemently rebuked by the other girls in the band, the strain causing the group to break up and making her a latent criminal due to the feelings of betrayal.