Thread: Fairy Tail Ep. 160

Fairy Tail Ep. 160

[HorribleSubs] Fairy Tail - 160: 1080p | 720p | 480p
    Last edited by Marik; Fri, 12-07-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Wheeelp, right about now I want to quit this series.

Ultear might be working for the good at the moment, hunting down villains, but she has certainly lost none of her cruelty; humiliating Jellal, and all of Fairy Tail in fact, in front of thousands of people is nothing but sheer evilness. There should have been a better way, even an instant KO would have been far more preferable. At least that way it would have looked like Jellal's grand spell backfired or something.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I didn't even know Jellal's magic was Heavenly Magic.

I'm pretty sure it would have come up before, but I just can't remember it. Was it the same in the past, or was it masked but Zeref influences and shit?

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Nah, that's his magic. Or one of his magics, since he really was one the ten mofos and not some random guild rat. He used heavenly body magic for example during the tower arc, in the bout with Natsu.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I didn't even know Jellal's magic was Heavenly Magic.

I'm pretty sure it would have come up before, but I just can't remember it. Was it the same in the past, or was it masked but Zeref influences and shit?
    That was always his magic, yes. When he fought Natsu in the arc he was the main villain of, he was all "Meteor Strikes!" and shit.

Only other power we've seen him use was the "Yellow Flame of Guilt".

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnder View Post
    That was always his magic, yes. When he fought Natsu in the arc he was the main villain of, he was all "Meteor Strikes!" and shit.

Only other power we've seen him use was the "Yellow Flame of Guilt".
    He also used the binding spell on Erza during the tower arc. The thought projection clone doesn't seem like heavenly magic either. Nor the self-destruction he intended to use to destroy Nirvana, which was a spell developed by Brain. So, he has plenty of tricks in his repertoire. More than most wizards, judging by everything we have seen.

Plus, he can apparently emulate old Mystrogan's powers without much trouble.

He definitely seems more versatile than most other wizards.

I can't tell if that's cool, or just lazy writing.

Plus, he can apparently emulate old Mystrogan's powers without much trouble.
    I wouldn't say without much trouble since he didn't achieve anything at all with the emulated powers. I doubt Mystogan would have been so helpless with his own techniques. So, we might as well think, for the sake of the story, that Jellal dropped the act precisely because he realised such emulations will get him nowhere. Hmph, damn Ultear. Jura would have needed to give his best without her intervention.

Honestly, at this point if I was in the audience I'd swear that Fairty Tail was taking a dive all the time.

Both of their fights now have them in the middle of conjuring an attack that looks like it could blow up the whole arena and then they just suddenly stopped.

If they weren't the underdogs already, I'd think there was some kind of gambling related scam going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    So, we might as well think, for the sake of the story, that Jellal dropped the act precisely because he realised such emulations will get him nowhere.
    I think it's more a matter of his opponent than anything else.

Jellal seemed perfectly competent using Mystrogan's powers, but to defeat Jura, he'd have to go all out, which requires his own powers.

Jellal seemed perfectly competent using Mystrogan's powers, but to defeat Jura, he'd have to go all out, which requires his own powers.
    I was actually thinking it looked that way at first, but when I rewatched a part of the ep before my previous post, the episode itself has Jellal commenting under his breath that he can't beat someone like Jura using borrowed magic. Such a comment opens a door wide to the interpretation that it's exactly because it's borrowed that he can't employ it properly to beat high level opponents. Of course another interpretation is that no magic but his own is good enough for the task, but after everything Jellal has gone through, including getting beaten, I doubt he's prone to underestimating other wizards' techniques too hastily.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    My take was definitely on the notion that Jellal couldn't emulate Mystogan's powers properly and had to use his own.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Such a comment opens a door wide to the interpretation that it's exactly because it's borrowed that he can't employ it properly to beat high level opponents.
    I just took it to mean that he didn't have the same lifetime of practice with Mystrogan's magic that he had with his own magic, so obviously he wasn't going to be as good with it.

I mean, I never really understood WHY other wizards seemed so specialized in the first place. Magic in FT is portrayed as a learned skill, not a Bloodline-type ability, so there's really nothing preventing a wizard from just learning whatever spell they want.

Perhaps. But since almost all wizards seem so specialized, it might also mean they have a natural tendency toward the element/magic type they mostly use. Who knows. There's nothing much at all behind the powers and techniques in this story.

True. I mean, is there a story behind why the guy that looks like a giant chicken has egg magic? I dunno! Awfully convenient otherwise! Being born a chickenman and happening to be good at egg magic!