Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack on Titan: Shingeki no Kyojin

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I wonder if Titans are humans that caught some virus?

I tolerate the armoured titan wall breach, only because the scene was rather nice. But realistically, breaching that wall as going through butter without a scratch and without much of a slowdown is a bit too much. I'd understand if he broke the door and then go slowly from there with the help of others...

Now regarding the walls, I'm wondering if Titans can swim. Why? because that could be an explanation for the boats, but maybe not with the way they move and how giants could handpick people easily...

Now that we've had those 2 eps, I wonder what will fuel what's to come.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Some thoughts:

They blew all their budget on the Titan assault on the inner door. Cool sequence, and much better than the similar sequence in the manga that was so short people routinely missed that it actually happened and were confused by the fact that Wall Maria had fallen.

Eren's Titan hatred has sure consumed his life. It looks like all three of the kids are PTSD'd out the ass, in various ways: Eren is a lunatic, Mikasa shut down, and Armin is a whimpering pisspile. You'd figure crazy Titan bloodlust wouldn't be that uncommon among the people after such an attack though. Also as various commenters on other sites pointed out, yes, the trio are very archetypal at this point. Give their characters some room to breathe though, and don't judge them too harshly off just these two episodes.

As others have said I love how the Titans look, move and sound in the series. Their weird sexless and ageless appearance, the shiteating grins on the faces of some of them, etc contribute to a very grotesque feel to what otherwise could just be Big Cannibal People.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    I can't wait to see what kind of music they are playing when Eren is charging into his first battle, filled with bloodlust and hate for the titans.

They blew all their budget on the Titan assault on the inner door.
    I hope it keeps up like that, the trailer had a few more good looking scenes, but man, that titan-charge scene sure did look great, especially that slow-motion part where everyone tried to reach the gate in time - even the captain's mouth was animated during that one (I'm not talking about the close-up)
    I like it when they pay attention to little details like that, sure not in full detail, but most of the time the studios wouldn't really care and just add the sound there.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 04-14-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Regular titans...sooooooo fucking creepy.

Skinless titans...sooooooo badass.

Wallbuster titan is Urien from Street Fighter!

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    I wonder if Titans are humans that caught some virus?
    I was thinking that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Y View Post
    Eren's Titan hatred has sure consumed his life.
    Seems kind of silly too. So far, most of the titans are presented as little more than animals. Swearing to slay every last one of them is like swearing to slay every shark on the planet after your mom gets eaten by one.

I mean, yeah, I guess you could do that. But you aren't exactly showing them what for. They probably won't even know you're doing it.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Tue, 04-16-2013 at 01:13 AM.

meh, not really - weak comparison imho

they nearly killed all of humanity and forced your kind to live cluttered behind a wall like livestock...and a few of them certainly show intelligence in some way, but that doesn't really matter
    they are monsters in the eyes of humans, that should be reason enough and justify those thoughts

its the other way around so to say, they make you think YOU are the animal, even though you arn't

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    and forced your kind to live cluttered behind a wall like livestock
    I don't really see any evidence of that yet.

I mean, the humans put themselves behind the wall. And I wouldn't even see any livestock comparison if characters didn't keep saying it. Cows don't build their own pens to hide from humans.

And I'm not really sure when the last time anyone had a cattle ranch where they just let the cows do whatever for a century...
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Tue, 04-16-2013 at 01:14 AM.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post

I mean, the humans put themselves behind the wall. And I wouldn't even see any livestock comparison if characters didn't keep saying it. Cows don't build their own pens to hide from humans.

And I'm not really sure when the last time anyone had a cattle ranch where they just let the cows do whatever for a century...
    I take it to mean the humans live in fear of being eaten.

I agree that they're not livestock in the sense that they're being farmed.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I take it to mean the humans live in fear of being eaten.
    Then they're kind of just being melodramatic then. There's a different between being livestock and just being a creature that happens to not be at the top of the food chain.

Then they're kind of just being melodramatic then. There's a different between being livestock and just being a creature that happens to not be at the top of the food chain.
    Not sure if you can apply that to the world of Shingeki no Kyojin, buuut: A creature that´s used to be at the top of the food chain might not be used to living in fear. Thus experiencing a heightened sense of what being like livestock might feel. At least that´s what people of our real world would likely feel like.

Calling themselves livestock is an emotional response. They all know in the past humans were the rulers of the world, yet now they are reduced to huddling behind walls. Any who venture outside risk getting eaten very soon. So, in fact outside of the walls they are just livestock, little more, inside they aren't, but this incident showed them all that can change at a moment's notice, and they aren't totally safe anywhere.

It's actually quite interesting they haven't ever been too interested in killing the giants. If they could pull off walls like that, they could have easily built killing fields. Basically alleys where the giants could have entered only one at a time, and even so very tightly, removing their ability to react in a timely fashion. It would have been child's play then to kill them. Although that would have left behind a giant carcass to somehow get rid of, but I'm sure that would be a small price to pay. Who knows if the giants are edible... That would have brought lots of protein onto the table...

the analogy is really not hard to grasp...

It's actually quite interesting they haven't ever been too interested in killing the giants.
    arn't they pretty much unkillable for them at the moment? at least if we consider how the first episode started...
    but I want to put on a frodo face too, so I'm saying

"Why arn't they setting them on fire?"
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Tue, 04-16-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    A creature that´s used to be at the top of the food chain might not be used to living in fear.
    If they've been behind the wall for 100 years, shouldn't every human alive have spent their entire life that way already?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Calling themselves livestock is an emotional response.
    That's what I said. They're being melodramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    "Why arn't they setting them on fire?"
    If cannon's don't work on them, it's not much of a stretch for fire to not do much either.

They haven't gone into detail how to kill Titans, but the answer is clear from the OP, as well as the last few seconds before the OP of the first episode. I'm not going to say it in case someone is waiting for an explicit explanation.

Cannons probably slow them down at the very least, considering the walls are covered with them, and they're on rail tracks so they can concentrate fire or move them as needed. They may use them in combination with the wire-gear. They use the bubble-cities on the edges of the walls to lure Titans to given locations. Given that, I would say cannons are at least capable of killing them, though they might not be that effective, and take a lot of shots to kill one.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    They haven't gone into detail how to kill Titans, but the answer is clear from the OP, as well as the last few seconds before the OP of the first episode. I'm not going to say it in case someone is waiting for an explicit explanation.
    When I first saw it, I thought it was going for a vertical split down the spine, but on further watches they seem to be hitting the upper trapezius/neck more so in a horizontal fashion.

Arteries at the back of the neck doesn't make too much sense as far as massive blood loss goes (though it does have the advantage of sneaking in an attack and avoiding the mouth).

I'm guessing they're slashing the spinal cord regardless.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

What I´m curious about is how they´ll explain the sudden gain of efficiency in terms of fighting the giants. Because from the OP it´s clear that Eren and friends are positively fighting them, without much effort or fear. They better not be like "duh, he´s the main character, he´s simply better than all those previous guys".

Awesome user with default custom title NeoCybercoin's Avatar
    I think Mikasa would kick so much more ass than him despite him being the MC.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    What I´m curious about is how they´ll explain the sudden gain of efficiency in terms of fighting the giants. Because from the OP it´s clear that Eren and friends are positively fighting them, without much effort or fear. They better not be like "duh, he´s the main character, he´s simply better than all those previous guys".
    Eren is the new generation, the one who lost their home and familly due to the attack. It's only natural some people from that generation will have more guts/motivation to train properly and fight the giants. It's also true for trainers, science and technology effort.
    After 100 years being lazy, Mankind remembered they have to move their asses for survival, that attack reminded them of that fact.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

What I´m curious about is how they´ll explain the sudden gain of efficiency in terms of fighting the giants.
    I'm guessing it won't be so sudden as they're already doing timeskips a year at a time and we're only on episode 2.

Motivation can be a strong factor. Like others have said, most of this new batch has directly suffered in some ways from the attacks. The older guards (at the time of the attacks) were used to taking potshots at them with cannons, at best. The only ones who fought directly were the scouting legion...and they're not exactly inspiring.

Where it used to be common knowledge that the "Offense" team was a death sentence and a waste of money, Eren and Mikasa have a reason to want to slaughter them all.

I'm guessing it won't be so sudden as they're already doing timeskips a year at a time and we're only on episode 2.
    Which I don't mind. The voice acting on young Eren became quite annoying.

As for the giants, my hypothesis would be either the humans fucked up some shit with gene experiments (the injection) or an epidemic broke out. No aliens for me. While quite a possible theory, I'd prefer the humans did it to themselves. Adds a more horrific feel to the series.

As for the dreams Eren's been having and deja vu's Mikasa's having, I think something horrifying happened before and both of them had their memories partly replaced/erased. I think they might be even from a previous town where something similar happened or something.
    It's save to say the humans had some type of technology before looking at those walls (unless the giants build them) and I think some of that technology rests in that basement Eren has the key to.

All in all, awesome start of the series. Can't wait for the next ep.

Now... we can click as warriors... button to button, it is the basis of all internet.
    Only a fool trusts his life to a virus.