Thread: Pluto

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Pluto

287144.jpg

"* Based on a manga series written and illustrated by Urasawa Naoki. The manga reinterprets the story arc The Greatest Robot on Earth from Tezuka Osamu's manga Tetsuwan Atom.

European robot detective Gesicht attempts to solve the case of a string of robot and human deaths. The case becomes more puzzling when evidence suggests a robot is responsible for the murders, the first one in eight years.

Source: Wikipedia"

Genre(s): Mystery, Drama, Sci-fi

Research

What a colossal letdown. Which is weird, since I remember reading the manga, and could tell you almost nothing about it; that should have tipped me off that this Urasawa work didn't resonate with me. The main issue I think I have is that this story itself isn't conducive to anime in the first place. While the pace is somewhat brisker than some of his earlier adaptations (Monster, Master Keaton), this story in particular relies on character vignettes and cheap feeling cut-aways to garner investment from the audience leading up to reveals that are far more shocking to the character's expressions than they ever are to us. In a manga, a cut away somehow feels less cheap and it is easier to read 'faster' past character sections when you feel they are less relevant to the mystery.

I would say that Pluto, while 'adequate' for a single viewing, should have been much more given its pedigree. It is interesting, but not compelling, which is an odd combination for a mystery, and that mystery pays off the bare minimum possible by the end. The constantly entering and exiting characters unravel the central narrative somewhat by diluting our focus to extraneous things far too often. Its more organic (real detective work takes time, as well), but not satisfying on an episode by episode basis, especially with how little foreshadowing there is, and how corny some reveals can come off; it hasn't aged as well as Monster in that regard.

I wanted to like it much better, but as it is, the anime feels rushed and plodding at the same time. Give it a try if you're curious.

Episode 1:

Okay, this was fantastic. This is the kind of anime I always desire. A serious, grounded story that still manages to intrigue and excite. It could have been slightly more intense presentation-wise, but still. Damn, I almost cried for a war robot, lol.

If the show can hold up to that first episode, that'd be great. Certainly will keep watching for now.

Only thing I hate are these triple-episode pilots. Even the most exciting anime is hard to be invested in for a sudden triple-episode. It's okay to have such episode length later on, but when I don't yet know how much I like a show, having to watch over an hour asap is a bit much. Still, it was all interesting.

North-2

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

On episode 3 now.

Just needed to say: LOL, I wonder how far in the future this story takes place that "Adolf" is an acceptable name in Germany again

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Saw all available 4 episodes so far. And wow, this is a really great anime. I advise all of you to watch it. It's rare we get something like this.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    It's certainly rare like all adaptations of his work, but it just didn't resonate with me. Tries too hard to be stiff and realistic (nose proportions notwithstanding) as if someone took a live action series and animated it; which is maybe what you were looking for all along? Glad you're enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    It's certainly rare like all adaptations of his work, but it just didn't resonate with me. Tries too hard to be stiff and realistic (nose proportions notwithstanding) as if someone took a live action series and animated it; which is maybe what you were looking for all along? Glad you're enjoying it.
    I mean, it's similar to Monster and I liked that one. Although as I said: Pluto, in its anime presentation, lacks the intensity that Monster hat. I wish it were more intense, going for the horror of the situation, and there are many scenes where I felt that would have easily been possible.

But even without it, it's a great anime imo.