Thread: Attack on Titan: Shingeki no Kyojin

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Attack on Titan: Shingeki no Kyojin

Shingeki no Kyojin is a manga by Isayama Hajime, serialized in Kodansha's monthly "Bessatsu Shonen Magazine". Only starting publication a couple years ago, it won the Kodansha Award for Shounen manga in 2011, was nominated for a several others, and is reviewing/ranking extremely high. It is the #2-#3 best selling manga in Japan.

Mankind has been destroyed. The last remnants of humanity live in a single great city surrounded by walls fifty meters high. This is to protect them from the Titans who have destroyed human civilization - enormous, humanoid monsters who eat human flesh. The story follows several members of the military group tasked with defending the city from the Titans.

It's getting an anime adaptation soonish and a preview trailer just landed for it that I thought I'd share with you guys. When I say it looks a lot better than the manga I think I'm still selling it short.

This is the Next Big Thing for you guys that don't read manga. This comic absolutely blew up in popularity almost as soon as it came out and 10 years from now will be spoken of the same way as Berserk. It's an unspeakably bleak portrayal of a narrowminded and futile humanity struggling to eke out a pitiful existence against impossible odds. The only problem with the manga was the frequently lackluster art, a problem which has apparently been more than rectified in the adaptation.

Also the title translates more literally to "Advance of the Giants" which is a way better title than "Attack on Titan" but whatever!
    Last edited by Y; Sun, 12-09-2012 at 01:51 AM.