Thread: Are your expectations for naruto stopping you from simply enjoying it?

ANBU Captain

Are your expectations for naruto stopping you from simply enjoying it?

Lately I've noticed that the series of events in character and story development have left me feeling like Naruto has deviated from the exciting path it once seemed to be on. Many of the significant characters and restrictions have been thrown out the window to appease the concept of "unpredictability". I don't feel like the villains or the heroes in this story have been as intimidating or compelling as they once were. The beginning of the story allowed certain elements to seem fresh or exclusive. When we saw an uchiha it meant something because there were a finite amount of them given the level of potential their clan possessed. When ninjas had forbidden techniques I assumed there were drastic drawbacks that would adversely affect the user to prevent abuse. Things seemed that way until they decided they didn't want to kill off characters. Things started to seem less final. Characters are being resurrected and Justus that were exclusive to certain clan have been passed around like currency. The twists have been more and more lack luster. But is this cynicism valid? Or do I have a preconceived notion of how I thought it "should" be? The story is on its own path. I'm not the one telling it. It's hard to step back sometimes from my expectations. Do you guys feel the same?

No, mainly because from Naruto and Bleach my expectations are usually rock bottom.

It's interesting you say a lot of stuff is being thrown around to be unpredictable. Every major development in Naruto is designed to be as predictable as possible. Things like Tobi's true identity or Itachi being a secret good guy are literally foreshadowed years in advance. Part of the reason the current arc is so boring is because it's just ticking boxes off on a list of stuff that Madara and Obito have to do before the end of the comic.

Nonetheless it's not that bad right now, just a little stale.

I keep reading because after years of following, I want to see the end. Other than that, there´s not much more left to do than make fun of how bad this manga has become.

The concept of unpredictability is what makes it so bad, or rather, the heavy focus on it. A certain amount of unpredictability is necessary to keep a story exciting. But there´s a difference between Naruto digging a tunnel underground to sneakily ko-hit Neji, and Madara being stronger than all bijuus because, because. Or Kakashi using MS-jutsus dozen after dozen, without chakra fatigue.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

ANBU Captain
    True....I just expected a little more I guess. I gave up on bleach a long time ago. I don't think I took it seriously at all midway through the Huco mundo arc. I literally stopped reading on a whim. I just can't do that for naruto bc I think it will honestly get better(wishful thinking maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    The concept of unpredictability is what makes it so bad, or rather, the heavy focus on it. A certain amount of unpredictability is necessary to keep a story exciting. But there´s a difference between Naruto digging a tunnel underground to sneakily ko-hit Neji, and Madara being stronger than all bijuus because, because. Or Kakashi using MS-jutsus dozen after dozen, without chakra fatigue.
    How the fuck is that unpredictable. Wow the final bad guy is really strong, someone stop Kishimoto before he breaks ALL the rules of shonen manga.

ANBU Captain
    What I considered unpredictable would be something like the story sticking to the given principles it established then show enemies or factions operating around or for the akatsuki to give the story more depth. When the samurai were introduced I thought they would be slightly more relevant if it was already apparent they were only there to be fodder. I was hoping for at least couple more battles to be decided by wit and cunning vs inconsistent power ups and limb/appendage swapping at random. Honestly what is the point for medical ninjutsu if 3/4 of the cast can apply the same effect by healing themselves with their personal chakra or bloodline abilities which began with little to no healing properties in the beginning. I was looking to see more of the effect it had on the actual surrounding villages. The sound village was poor and still produced shinobi but no learning facility. The mist village seemed to be the only other politic heavy camp with no info besides the horror stories their shinobi endured. There are a group of feudal lords that are responsible for +90% of the controversy in the village RIGHT NOW. But we know NONE of the reasons why. Things the hokage should know right?? Things that could be settled off the battlefield to give the story more depth right?! Clearly, I'm asking too much from a SHOENEN fighting manga but that was the impression given by the tone set in the beginning and the allusions to the top given the constant amount of corruption being uncovered.
    I hoped that more creative techniques would come out of the training when nature manipulation was intro'ed. I hoped that the initial genin would be a window to a different aspect of the ninja world I.e. Rock lee=taijutsu naruto=jinchuriki sasuke=eye abilities etc? now it just seems like ninja DBZ. I'm just a little disappointed. Life is equally as frivolous as it is in DBZ. It's only a matter of time before there's a way to resurrect the fallen shinobi after this battle concludes.
    Last edited by toonice714; Thu, 12-26-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Well, if you had either Jiraiya or Orochimaru as an opponent for Madara instead of Tsunade I'm sure the fight would be a lot more interesting.