Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Gundam Build Fighters

And when Sei and Reiji and Aila show up, Sei is all like: "Sorry that we´re late. We were busy helping the liberation front in this parallel dimension of Reiji´s. Now, let´s see what this new gunpla champion is made of!"

PLEASE SET YOU GP BASE!

:>

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Episode 18 - HS

- - - -- --

That ended pretty much as expected. When three, small ninja types combine to form one big, impossible to miss opponent, things won't ever end well for them. At least they had a little time for morality lessons and must have fun preaching. I'm glad we got rid of those newtype triplets so soon. They were annoying.

I wonder why they had to make this Junya senpai so absolutely despicable, even to the point of hiring lowlifes to do his dirty work for him. It never builds any expectations whatsoever of the real battle prowess, so nobody's going to get excited about the gunpla fight, which really matters. Kind of like gunplas getting sabotaged before the fight by the idol in S1. Without that dirty trick, she was nothing to write blogs about. In any case this is like straight from Karate Kid or something, with the opponent being a full-blown criminal.

This anime is so fantastic, and season 2 is so infinitely more exciting than season 1

I loved everything about this episode. If I had one wish, I´d have liked it that when Sekai´s arm was hurt due to assimilation and nocebo-effect (is that a real term? I guess there is something like an anti-placebo effect, but is it called nocebo? Nocere is latin and means "to hurt/damage", so why not), blood should have been spilled. Would have made it even more dramatic and serious.

Im sorry for repeating myself, but with fantastic episodes like this one, I cant help but fantastize once again about all this potential for an epic adventure anime. If I were to write a draft for the next 150 epidodes, it would begin with Iori Sekai meeting our current three heroes. After winning the tournament, the Meijin and Iori reveal to them that the reason for this assimilation effect is that the whole Plavsky particle-system is not just some energy source, but a connection to another dimension. The Plavsky particles connect player and gunpla as if it were real, because in that other dimension it IS real. So what does this mean? Iori explains that his dear friend Reiji sent him a very distressed message, asking for help. Iori is returning to Japan, because Meijin and the Gunpla Academy finally figured out a way to stabilize Plavsky particles in a way such to open a gate towards Reiji´s dimension. They only needed one more piece of material that Iori got from the scientists at CERN. Putting together the final parts of the Plavsky-gate, they´re ready for their journey. Iori and Meijin go by themselves, leaving Sekai and co. back as their reinforcements, in case of something going wrong. Of course thats whats happening. So our new heroes have to follow into the other dimension. By using reverse-assimilation and a newly introduced effect called "Plavsky mirroring", the gunplas of their players are turned into real Gundam machines in that other dimension. From there, Sekai, Yuuma and Hoshino have to explore this vast, unknown and very dangerous galaxy of Reiji´s. Their first goal: Re-establishing contact with Iori and the Meijin.

Bamm!

So.Much.Potential.

And it will never happen

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    ^ 370 words, and not one mention of "Ripper China-chan". I'm disappointed MFauli. I came here expecting you to talk all about her.

As for Nocebo, I'm glad it's just some damage to his arm. It synchronises you so you feel damage and pain, but please don't make it so it actually cuts you or causes physical damage. Think of it as a placebo effect where you're role-playing your gunpla so hard that you physically feel pain even though you didn't take damage in real life. You shouldn't physically bleed though. That'd mean the only way to save Sekai would be to replace his gunpla ala Escaflowne.

I entertained the idea that the master of Jigen Haoh Style could be Reiji himself, but that's not too likely.

Also, as far as I know Plavasky particles exist in Reiji's realm. Gundams however, do not.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

The Jigen Haoh Ryu master hás to be a Domon Kasshu lookalike from G-Gundam. In the first opening they pretty much show his shadowy form.

Quote Originally Posted by Harima Kenji View Post
    The Jigen Haoh Ryu master hás to be a Domon Kasshu lookalike from G-Gundam. In the first opening they pretty much show his shadowy form.
    I forgot about that. I remember thinking it might've been his sister back when they were younger. Would be nice if he showed up with God Gundam. BTW Kenji, long time no see.

Only thing I wanted to point out last episode is that I was a bit surprised that we got the early reveal of Star Winnings Real Mode. But I am glad Fumino got the final kill. Plus I like to believe that Winning Beam is a homage to Buster Beam.

I'm a bit pissed that there's no mass conservation in these transformations. The dragon was larger than the 3 SDs put together, and Real Mode was larger than the SD parts used to create it. The particles amplify the model's properties and reflects how well they were built, but to grow material out of nowhere is kind of stupid.

Yeah, I wondered about that. What are the limitations of these transformations? How do you even "build" them when creating your gunpla? It just seems too bs, like, summoning WHATEVER YOU WANT out of thin air.

Some subtle references in episode 19:

- The boxing moves Junya pulls off are from Hajime no Ippo, especially the Dempsey Roll.
    - Inose Junya is voiced by the same seiyuu as Allelujah Haptism from 00 Gundam, and his teammate pilots the Gundam Abulhool, Kyrios' predecessor.

This is an annoying fight as far as I'm concerned. Not only is it cliched, but it feels unneeded when the really interesting big shots are so near. If we learn more about the master and he's someone meaningful (like Reiji), then I'll turn my coat. Besides, a nasty opponent is a nasty opponent, and Junya is one. I don't even look forward to seeing him defeated. I just don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Harima Kenji View Post
    Some subtle references in episode 19:

- Inose Junya is voiced by the same seiyuu as Allelujah Haptism from 00 Gundam, and his teammate pilots the Gundam Abulhool, Kyrios' predecessor.
    I thought he sounded familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    This is an annoying fight as far as I'm concerned. Not only is it cliched, but it feels unneeded when the really interesting big shots are so near. If we learn more about the master and he's someone meaningful (like Reiji), then I'll turn my coat. Besides, a nasty opponent is a nasty opponent, and Junya is one. I don't even look forward to seeing him defeated. I just don't care.
    Agreed, although their fight does have a nice G Gundam feel; Denial vs Build Burning and Master vs God. Also, I doubt "Shishou" will be Reiji, especially considering his silhouette doesn't look like him. But, if it's Domon (Tomokazu as VA), then THAT would be super interesting. I mean, they brought back Rain last season, I don't see why they couldn't do this.

"If you don't understand, ask with your fist". <- oh the lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli
    Regarding the relationship talk: Shia is best girl, cause "Cute" will always beat "Hot", sorry, Fumina. But I don´t see Sekai going for Shia, not happening.
    But Shia could do with a little meat. Her "shrugging shoulders" look (though it might just be her jacket)makes it seem like she's got a postural problem from muscle imbalance actually. A colleague of mine has that (forward rolling shoulders) and it's pretty obvious, as well as being visually undesirable. Shia's cute enough that I can dismiss it mostly, but it's there.

I agree that Hoshino's hot, but her contours also seem artificial. Those boobs come out of nowhere. Mirai's got it right, even if I enjoy watching the other two more as far as characters are concerned.

The "gang rescue" scene was both pleasing and disappointing - pleasing because Sekai wasn't artificially handicapped by having his parts stolen, but disappointing because it was kind of Deus Ex in how everyone just happened to be there (Hoshino speedial?). Sekai should have at least kicked the gang's asses. The thanks-giving scene with Yuuma would have been much more effective had Yuuma been beaten up a little more, followed by Sekai physically intervening.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Sekai should have at least kicked the gang's asses. The thanks-giving scene with Yuuma would have been much more effective had Yuuma been beaten up a little more, followed by Sekai physically intervening.
    Oh, right. Now I realise one more reason why this ep felt so unsatisfying. I was looking forward to Sekai kicking those lowlifes' asses. Although the explanation why he couldn't was convincing. The sport itself is kind of very violent despite being marketed for all ages, so it makes sense the company would try to keep the outside of the ring totally free of any disturbances to avoid losing parents' support.

EP 20:

Dat Full Cloth. Shame the actual build is pretty sub par.

Sekais final attack looked strangely similar to a certain "God Finger". I was waiting for those familiar lines....

Also, apparently those SD Gundams could combine into that dragon/hydra thing. Too bad it's not nearly as impressive irl.

As expected, Sekai's fight against Junya was meaningless, with absolutely no (positive/interesting) revelations about the Jigen Haoh school or the master. The technique he discovered was also pretty weird (as was evident from the whole audience's expressions) and honestly feels more like something that was only useful in that specific fight, under those specific circumstances, but who knows.

Nemesis and his gunpla seemed promising, as stupid as his name is and as annoying as the female VA for such a character is. Let's hope he will push the Academy to give 110% performance. Although honestly the buildup feels far less thrilling than in season 1. But I suppose that can't be helped since in S1 we had the whole long development between Aila and Reiji outside of the arena and also the inhuman methods of Team Nemesis. So, when they finally met in a gunpla fight, it was something else. Even if the final end of the fight, when Aila wasn't controlled by the system anymore, was highly disappointing. Now this Nemesis fellow is just another tough gunpla fighter among many.

I loved that they explicitly mentioned 12K recording. Keeping it real is important.

Fantastic episode, once again.

Old complaint: So this Nemesis-guy is sooo strong and all. Well, his gunpla seems to be simply that much stronger than anybody else´s. Why do the other contestants not build the same, stronger models? Why do they not build such energy shields? Sigh.

On another note:
    I mean, I´m not positive thinking enough to actually believe it, but ... they were dropping some heavy hints at my dream scenario as posted above. First, Kawaguchi made this somewhat weird comment, saying "the gundam moves as long as the fighter can control it ... but also the fighter controls for as long as the gundam moves", as if there´s "something" coming from the gunpla-side to Sekai. And then that actually happens. Sekai is beaten, about to give up ... and the gunpla starts interacting with Sekai! LAter on Sekai then says "it was as if the Try Burning was talking to me", and then tries to force the topic to something else. Hm. :>

Again, Im not hopeful enough to begin expecting anything developing in that direction, but ... that potential. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli
    Old complaint: So this Nemesis-guy is sooo strong and all. Well, his gunpla seems to be simply that much stronger than anybody else´s. Why do the other contestants not build the same, stronger models? Why do they not build such energy shields? Sigh.
    So this Coca-Cola thing seems to be simply that much more successful than anybody else's. Why do the other companies not make the same, tastier colas?

It's called R&D and secrecy. It's the same reason Sei had the only RG system, Samurai Boy had the only particle-splitting system.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    So this Coca-Cola thing seems to be simply that much more successful than anybody else's. Why do the other companies not make the same, tastier colas?

It's called R&D and secrecy. It's the same reason Sei had the only RG system, Samurai Boy had the only particle-splitting system.
    That would be a sound argument, IF not for the fact that everybody seems to perfectly know about these systems whenever they appear during battle.

If you want to argue the effecieny of a certain model/feature, then that surely can be attributed to the builder´s skills. But the complete lack of even trying to incorporate such features? Makes no sense. If I were a gundam fighter, Id chose the strongest model, build it to my best skills and train with it.

All of these models are customised. There's no "strongest" model that someone would know about. Someone can look at a model and understand what it's doing (It's collecting particles inside its body). That doesn't mean they can build something like that. Some of the more experienced builders understand better (like Mao knowing that Sei made the shield stronger by using layered plastic).

On the other hand, there are plenty of cases where they don't know how a builder accomplishes certain traits: no one knew in the past how Sei stored particles inside his mech. No one knew how Mao could fire multiple times without the moon. No one knew the composition of Samurai Boy's particle-deflecting coating.

When they do know how to copy a system, they must take into account opportunity cost - including something means they can't include another. A simplified example would be dual-wielding vs sword/shield. You choose on or the other. Someone might decide to put a shield on the forearm to combine both traits, but then you decrease dexterity of both.