Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gundam Build Fighters

I wouldn't call myself excited because of these news, but I was pretty satisfied with the first season, so why not. I hope the next season will stick to a tournament more faithfully, dropping unnecessary external factors. I don't mean drama between players, though, or matches outside of the championship, those were cool and necessary, but stuff like the final battle in the first season against the berserk machine, which was totally meaningless. If they want a grand fight, it could be a part of the normal competition.

I certainly wouldn't like real gundam fighting like some tool commented on that news site vejita linked to. There are real gundam shows for that, after all, this should be about gunpla.

great news. now have the mother divorce from her generic husband, have her be part of the cast again, and we´re set.

Oh, and I´m also looking forward to more story lol. Hopefully, season 2 will be about Sei-kun following Reiji into his world, where Gundam is real.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

As long as we don't have anymore "punch to win" scenarios, I think I will be OK. That sort of formula works for G Gundam, but not so much here.

Build Try Episode 1 - HS

- - - - - - --

At first I thought Sekai was Reiji and Aila's fricking kid, knowing this takes place in the future from the original show and having forgotten just how much. After all, he looks like Reiji Junior. But then it turned out it's only seven years, so it's quite impossible, unless there's some weird temporal difference between Reiji's world and Earth. In any case, I had low expectations. I liked the characters of the first season and to be honest I only intended to have a look at this because I was hoping for cameos (and we got one, but unfortunately it was only the Old Man Mustachio). However, this turned out quite interesting. I guess I'll keep watching, after all, after such a jolly first episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    I liked the characters of the first season and to be honest I only intended to have a look at this because I was hoping for cameos (and we got one, but unfortunately it was only the Old Man Mustachio).
    Ramba Ral is never an unfortunate cameo.

This episode left me with some questions that need answering:

Why the hell was there a Dom in the trophy? We never saw Sei build one of those, especially not for the tournament.

Why the hell was there a Gundam inside of a Dom? We never saw him build that either.

Also, Fumina is my Gundam waifu.

Quote Originally Posted by vejita613 View Post
    Ramba Ral is never an unfortunate cameo.

This episode left me with some questions that need answering:

Why the hell was there a Dom in the trophy? We never saw Sei build one of those, especially not for the tournament.

Why the hell was there a Gundam inside of a Dom? We never saw him build that either.
    Yeah, he's a cool old man. But to be honest, I wanted to see somebody flashier.

You talk as if Sei had died right after winning the championship. He was just a kid back then. He had years of school left. Obviously he did that stuff during that time, for whatever reason. Actually, if I had been Sei, I might have done the same thing just for the heck of it. It's kind of nice to think some future club member might be studying the trophy and suddenly find the model. And then the model inside the model.

Nah, I figured he would still be building gunpla. I'm just saying I don't remember him building either of those two. It just felt out of no where. But, you're right, it is a nice gesture for future club members even if it is a bit random.

That was a fun first episode. My hopes for this second seasons are that they focus on further exploring the themes of the first season and don´t just make it another tournament meet-up.

My biggest hope still is that we´ll get a direct connection to Reiji´s world at some point. With our real world-Gunpla champions entering the alternate world of Reiji´s to help him out. I guess that would be a crass change in tone, though, since suddenly there´d be real death involved.

As for cameos, I´m still hoping for Rinko´s return. But since we have her little brother here, I´m also looking to a 7 year old "riper" China-chan :>

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Episode 2 - HS

- - - - - -

I don't know how this will turn out later, but for now it feels like this should have been the first season. Everything feels so much like on a smaller scale. These people don't seem nearly as grand, ambitious or innovative as Sei and Yuuki, and while Sekai is very similar to Reiji, he's no alien prince. The beginning is quite similar in some ways, but the opponents weren't really as worthy in this one, like the Mantis who was all talk. The setting is also smaller; a rustic shack in the backyard with a stunted battle system, intead of the big one in a gym we had in the second ep of the first season. By the third ep we already had Fellini in. Maybe the first season was too grand and this will be more down to Earth. In the end that might not be such a bad choice, although I still would very much like to see some cameos, other than Mr. Mustachio.

All I care for is some hot h-doujins featuring Mr Ral and Hoshino coming out of this. :>

On a more serious note: I think we simply havent arrived at our plot drive, yet. At face value, we have a girl who wants to participate in the championship, and we have now two guys who will likely be her team mates. But what now? I really doubt it´ll be as straight forward was to simply plow through the championship matches. There´s gotta be more, and I´m sure of it.

episode 3 is out
    --------------------

i agree with kraco´s above sentiment. so far, this feels like it should have been season 1. since it is not, I fully expect some more fantastical reveal sooner rather than later. My favorite plot development would still be that our heroes somehow get to travel to Reiji´s dimension, where Gundams are real.

If not that, I guess we´ll see an enemy (team) that comes from Reiji´s dimension, thus giving us more details about the bigger picture. So I hope.

This was a pretty decent warmup fight. Of course Try Fighters didn't really even need to try. It was all messed up, but the levels were so different they won rather easily nonetheless. Fumina really needs to get her shit together. She's sucking as a team leader and club captain at the moment. She can barely keep Sekai and Yuuma from each other's throats, when she instead should already realise their team has a pretty fantastic composition. Since she and Yuuma look up to Sei so much, you'd think they at least knew Reiji's forte was very simply punching the Plavsky particles out of the enemy Gundam. Of course Reiji excelled at pretty much everything piloting related, but especially the last fights kind of veered towards a boxing match. Sekai needs to learn to shoot at least tolerably, but otherwise Fumina can fill the versatile role whereas Yuuma can stick to sniping and support. Sekai would charge forward drawing attention and that's it. In short, Fumina is holding them back at the moment.

You can't really blame her though. As far as we can tell, this is the first time she's even had the opportunity to be a leader. It's expected she will have a lot to learn. That being said, she really can handle herself quite well for using just a GM.

The only disappointment I had this episode was that we missed a golden opportunity for a Rumba Ral fight. Also, I am almost Rals age. What the hell am I doing with my life......

Quote Originally Posted by vejita613 View Post
    The only disappointment I had this episode was that we missed a golden opportunity for a Rumba Ral fight. Also, I am almost Rals age. What the hell am I doing with my life......
    It's like a running gag that he's missing opportunities and is forgotten in a millisecond when something more interesting appears. Also, there's no way that's his real age. Maybe that's when he made the model, 20 years earlier. He's at least 50 years old, or has some exotic aging disease.

episode 4 is out
    -----------------------

i feel like this battle was the most awesome battle in all of gundam build fighters so far. wow, it was intense, not drawn out and had several twists. And a good ending, too, since it´d have been too clichee for a beginner like him to win against an expert. just super fun all around.

also, hoshino is too hot. seriously, how old is she supposed to be again? it feels kinda wrong :>

They should have just kissed with the excused of amusing the children. No doubt they would have wanted to but were too embarrassed. But then again, Hoshino only cares for gunpla and Sekai for his martial arts and gunpla.

The Osaka dude had no manners whatsoever. The level really stays low during these early episodes. I hope this season will also go international before long and we will get opponents who look and seem strong like in the first season. Sekai also kind of needs a good tutor like Reiji got when he met Fellini in the underground bar. That taught him a lot and was inspiring enough to change Reiji's previously too superficial attitude. Mr. Mustachio simply can't fulfill such a role, even though he's not weak per se. But he's comic relief, through and through.

episode 5 is out
    ---------------------

You know, in terms of epicness, the story is still rather flat compared to season 2. BUT! This has been another super awesome battle! I dont think season 1 had such great battles. Yuuma´s transformation, Hoshino´s surprise SD Gundam and Sekai´s running-in-space move ... everything about it was soooooo much fun to watch.

If they can keep battles this interesting and fun, I wouldn´t mind the lack of a greater, overarching plot.

Btw. was the opening song released yet?

The first season had its share of interesting battles. However, the fights this season feel a bit more regular championship (preliminary) fights. Looking back at it now, it kind of feels Sei & Reiji never faced as much challenge and pressure to get to the top. Maybe the gunpla world simply is much more advanced and established now seven years later. Kind of like 100 years ago crazy stuff could happen in sports, but now the pro athletes and other sportsmen are only boringly competing for milliseconds and millimeters and thus anything deviating from a perfect, robotic performance would result in instantly and hopelessly losing.

While I like Fumina's sexy competition outfit (she has some guts to sport such in front of all those people, but she does have the body for it, alright), I didn't like the SD Gundam. SD is only ever used for comedic purposes in anime/manga, or to differentiate it from the real story, like using SD characters verbally and straightforwardly explain some story details that would be hard or too time consuming to have the story expose normally. There's absolutely no reason to have such a thing in the real fights, where it's not enforced (as I'm sure there are minor SD only tournaments). It's even worse the girl member of the team was given such a cute but less practical thing. Especially when Fumina wasn't a superficial person at all.

I like how Mirai just keeps rooting for a romance between Sekai and Fumina, and is disappointed when nothing happens, yet worried too much could happen. Such a nice big sister.

Episode 6 - HS

- -- - - - - -

How on Earth did Ral build such a fame despite being a comedian who never pulls through when things get serious? I guess if you talk loud enough, act high and mighty, yet still remain polite and friendly, some more gullible individuals will begin to think you must be a great man indeed.

The battle wasn't so bad, although surprisingly easy as soon as the opponent lost the total control. They couldn't do anything anymore in a direct confrontation. To a degree that's plausible since they won't ever be masters of their units if they switch them for every fight. Thus, they only have the plan and any plan Bs they happen to have. It's not such an idiot proof battle tactic, in the end. I'm surprised they were one of the audience favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    How on Earth did Ral build such a fame despite being a comedian who never pulls through when things get serious? I guess if you talk loud enough, act high and mighty, yet still remain polite and friendly, some more gullible individuals will begin to think you must be a great man indeed.
    He is a skilled fighter as we saw towards the end of the last season. The original Ral was one of Zeons top aces, giving grand daddy Gundam a run for its money.

Next week, finally time for some Destiny Gundam. Can't wait.