Thread: PS3 Media server Setup

PS3 Media server Setup

Hey Guys haven't posted in awhile and a new problem has come up so I'm posting on here to see if I can get any help

The Other day I purchased the New 12gb PS3 slim console, and I must say the quality of gaming in my opinion is much better than my Xbox 360 and with the better features of free online gaming, free internet browsing and youtube I've now converted to a PlayStation fan from xbox.

Back on topic: I've been browsing through the endless features of PlayStation and have found a setting called Media Server and with my little technical knowledge I have been having some trouble trying to set it up so I can stream Movies,pictures,music etc off my laptop to my PS3.

To help with whoever is replying to my post the following information may come in handy:

-My laptop is running windows 7.

-I have windows media player 12.

-My PS3 and Laptop are running through the same wireless connection.

-My Wireless router Supports Wireless 'g/b' networking not 'n' (I don't think this is an issue that my router doesn't support 'n' networking as I read in a PS3 forum the media server supports 'g/b' router types
    -Media Server Connection is enabled on PS3.

-All streaming options are set to 'allowed' in my networking and sharing center on my laptop, there's no firewall blocking any sharing options.

I am Referring to this manual
    HTML Code:
    https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/430/~/media-server-%2F-dlna-for-ps3
    the windows media player 12 section have followed the steps through fine until the section where it comes up with the showing devices my PS3 doesn't show up or any unknown devices.

If anyone is willing to help me I would really appreciate it! thanks in advanced!

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I no longer have my PS3 with me so I can't troubleshoot anything for you, but I've used PS3 Media Server successfully in the past for streaming things to my PS3. The advantage is that it'll stream files that are unsupported by the PS3 (and play subtitles to some degree) as long as the files can be rendered by my PC. Files are transcoded on the fly however, so network and CPU load becomes more of a potential issue.

This isn't a fix for your current problem of not being able to find the PS3 via Windows Media Player, but it's a fallback option for you.

I've read some accounts where the PS3 won't show up unless you tell it to search for a media server, so that may be worth a go.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

PS3 Media Server is the way to go. It makes things pretty brainless.

Turn on the PS3,
    Start up PS3 Media Server on your PC
    (First time: select the folders you want to share)
    (or add more folders)
    (Refresh just in case),
    Go back to the PS3 and find your PC's name in the appropriate XMB folder (video, music)
    Play.

CPU load is an issue for me because my PC is so old, but it plays most things just fine.

Cheers Guys I'll give the PS3 Media server a go in the morning off to bed now haha will update if everything goes well

edit:

Couldn't resist I downloaded PS3 media server, installed and setup the server. I can pretty much browse my whole computer with this thing! very easy and satisfying thanks for the help @Ryllharu and @Buffalobiian quick question this may sound stupid.. Does the PS3 server require internet connection in order to use or is it just though local networking?
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sun, 05-04-2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: merged posts

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    It's a local networking thing. No internet required.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I Have been using PS3 media server for the last couple of days. most videos I play have been working fine, but when I tried streaming anime that is English dubbed I have noticed audio sync issues such as the sounds lagging as the video plays.
    I'm not sure if this is due to the buffering so I paused, let it buffer to 100%, but the issue still seems to occur.
    Tried tweaking the video transcode and audio settings still not working.
    Reset all settings to default and try to play a video and I get an error 'content cannot be played -error code..etc..'
    So now Im stuck without being able to stream any videos through PS3 media server.
    Anime I was trying to play is in .MKV format.
    If anyone is familiar with PS3 media server I could really use with some help please and thank you!