Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Model Kits, Goods and Figures

Anime Model Kits, Goods and Figures

Any one know were to buy good Anime Model Kits Plz =)

Anime Model Kit

try Ebay [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] they have nice ones there.

RE: Anime Model Kit

www.hlj.com you wont find a bigger range

Hybridchild

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Old Thread. New Purpose.

I've been looking at model kits lately, and have a few things I wanted to ask.

I see kits that say paint is not required, but may yield a more realistic result. My questions are:

1) Do you need to apply undercoats, or do you simply paint over. Do you need multiple coats?

2) Should you build some parts (arms, legs, torso), paint them, then assemble them and paint again if necessary, or build the whole thing before painting?

3) Will you need official colours or specific types of paint? I was mainly looking at some Macross and Gundam models, and wondered if they needed specific paint. I've got some painting kits left over from my Warhammer days, so I was gonna see if that would get some use.

4) Do you paint with a brush or an air brush?

5) I see some model kits requiring cement. By cement, do they mean adhesives like plastic glue, or modeling clay?

Thanks in advance guys.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian
    1) Do you need to apply undercoats, or do you simply paint over. Do you need multiple coats?
    Professional modellers recommend 4 layers. I usually do 2. One base, and the other the actual color.

2) Should you build some parts (arms, legs, torso), paint them, then assemble them and paint again if necessary, or build the whole thing before painting?
    Depends on the model actually, but I tend to join up pieces first which have to look even, such as the arms or thighs.

3) Will you need official colours or specific types of paint? I was mainly looking at some Macross and Gundam models, and wondered if they needed specific paint. I've got some painting kits left over from my Warhammer days, so I was gonna see if that would get some use.
    Anything goes, but I usually buy the official Tamiya or Mr. Hobby colors.

4) Do you paint with a brush or an air brush?
    Air brush, fine markers for details. Check out a dummies' guide I did a few years ago.

5) I see some model kits requiring cement. By cement, do they mean adhesives like plastic glue, or modeling clay?
    Adhesive.
    "Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

Dummie's guide isn't working for me

Edit: not working meaning not loading...status bar stays at "connecting..."then "Page Load Error"

Thanks for the response Psyke. Very comprehensive.

Regarding official paint...are they acrylic paint? I'll try to dig around for them, but it's unlikely I can find any here.

And it'll be the first time I've used an airbrush too...

Link works for me..... Anyway here is a sample of the paints I used to use, but the range isn't limited by what you see here.

"Our hearts are full of memories but not all of them reflect the truth. The heart isn't a recording device. Even important memories change with time. They warp or fade, leaving us with but a shadow of what we hoped to remember." 天の道を行き、全てを司る。これは僕の世界。

It works now. *saves offline*

What are the results like if you paint with a brush? I'll seriously consider an airbrush, but depending on the price, I'm not sure if I'll get it. Then there's the issue of me not having any prior skill with airbrushing. Modelling has been kind of an on/off thing for me, so I'll be thinking a bit before I rush off with new paint/brush/models.

Gotta hate financial crisis + low fast food wages.

Brush? I'm not too sure if you're gonna paint Gundams, but the airbrush is the only way to go if you're doing any mechas. It's the only way you can achieve the matte finish which is smooth enough to emulate metal or other materials.

I was considering Gundams, but the one I really want to do is this guy:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN955525

Looks like it'll have to be an airbrush after all. I was reading your guide, and from my point of view, seemed slightly deterring

Nothing wrong on your part. The guide was comprehensive. It just kinda brought out the chicken in me.

Mine was the real quick and easy way to do it. You should see the actual guides in hobby magazines. It takes weeks to do one, rather than the hours which I finish mine.

that is an awesome kit, im considering it aswell now >_>
    -----------------

Wrote about this kit in my blog recently too, but I'm already got my money on another macross figure to be released this month. Fully transformable, pre-assembled, no painting required.

I was considering Gundams, but the one I really want to do is this guy:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN955525
    Those panel lines, I suppose that you'd use a fine marker like you've said Psyke?

I haven't been through the guide in thorough detail yet, but I think you mentioned that the black undercoat beneath the white is also used to help bring out these panel lines?

If that's the case, then when you're spraying the white, you'll have to do it on an angle so you're not spraying directly on top of these and clogging up the lines with white paint, no?
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Wed, 10-08-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Yes, actually you'd be surprised that the grooves will remain in the darker colour due to how you spray your top layer. Usually I don't have the need to re-do the panel lines, unless it's for a important part such as the head. This is one of the biggest advantages of air brushing.... no need to use markers for all the panel lines any more. I'll try and find time for some close up shots of my RX-78 and post them here, perhaps during the weekend.

Ah. Thanks in advance Psyke.

btw, I read your blog, and checked out the 1/60 version. Is it just me, or does it look bulkier than the 1/72 model?

Quote Originally Posted by DS
    that is an awesome kit, im considering it aswell now >_>
    . It was instant win compared to most of the other models I saw on the site. Surprisingly though, I thought the best models from the Gundam00 series where the Thrones. They had the best colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyke
    Wrote about this kit in my blog recently too, but I'm already got my money on another macross figure to be released this month. Fully transformable, pre-assembled, no painting required.
    ooh, that looks nice, though, i wonder how sturdy it is? my fix figuration zeta2 and mg zeta ver2.0 are both transformable. But the kit is actually a lot sturdier then fix figuration, its pretty flimsy.
    -----------------

Transformation for the 1/72 VF-22F Messiah (Alto version).

More detailed pics.

That looks pretty solid, I guess that will be my first macross kit.
    -----------------