Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Overlord

The biggest issue remains that this arc is simply boring. I'm just not engaged on any sort of level with the lizard people.

Every five minutes I wonder if there is something better to be done with my time. Guess what? There usually is, so it takes me 4 hours to watch one of these eps.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCybercoin View Post
    Then shouldn't Mizuchi with the post above mine be removed? I mean he specifically states that he has read ahead and says how long it's gonna be. Where as I am just guessing because I doubt it will go on for that long. Doesn't seem really fair ya know?
    I didn't see your original post. I based my thoughts on your feedback. Maybe Bud had other thoughts.

As for the episode itself, I thought the lizardmen will be stomped and made into undead warriors for Ainz's army. This was suggested earlier. I'm kind of disappointed that it doesn't appear to be the case, but also happy Lizard-girl might get a happy end.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCybercoin View Post
    Then shouldn't Mizuchi with the post above mine be removed? I mean he specifically states that he has read ahead and says how long it's gonna be. Where as I am just guessing because I doubt it will go on for that long. Doesn't seem really fair ya know?
    LOL you're so right bro. That's the power of white privilege I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    As for the episode itself, I thought the lizardmen will be stomped and made into undead warriors for Ainz's army. This was suggested earlier. I'm kind of disappointed that it doesn't appear to be the case, but also happy Lizard-girl might get a happy end.
    No, it never looked like that. First of all, what's the point of giving the lizards a warning and time if they were going to be nothing but material for necromancy? Like Demiurge said, Cocytus was given very limited resources and he needed to do something with them. Kind of like when you start playing C&C or similar RTS, during the first missions you have practically no advanced weaponry at your disposal even though your side supposedly has all manner of superweapons tech available. The first missions are there just to teach you a few lessons. As far as Ainz is concerned, the whole lizardmen species only exists to help make Cocytus a better Guardian.

I guess the Lich didn't get the memo to keep his mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    No, it never looked like that. First of all, what's the point of giving the lizards a warning and time if they were going to be nothing but material for necromancy? Like Demiurge said, Cocytus was given very limited resources and he needed to do something with them. Kind of like when you start playing C&C or similar RTS, during the first missions you have practically no advanced weaponry at your disposal even though your side supposedly has all manner of superweapons tech available. The first missions are there just to teach you a few lessons. As far as Ainz is concerned, the whole lizardmen species only exists to help make Cocytus a better Guardian.
    Except that's what they said at the beginning. Ainz was supposed to build an army of necro warriors, but someone suggested that using Lizardmen instead of human villagers would get higher level underlings. Then we skip to:

-You're the leader of my army.. then -
    -Someone will be observing you, and you'll have limited resources. The last bits came pretty damn quickly when the entire setup was mostly "We need undead army".

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Except that's what they said at the beginning. Ainz was supposed to build an army of necro warriors, but someone suggested that using Lizardmen instead of human villagers would get higher level underlings. Then we skip to:

-Someone will be observing you, and you'll have limited resources. The last bits came pretty damn quickly when the entire setup was mostly "We need undead army".

When did they say that? I can neither remember such a thing, nor can I find it after rewatching it.

Hmm... Maybe you are right. Now that you mentioned it, I seem to dimly remember such a thing might have happened. I stand corrected. Still, the main goal most definitely did change along the way. In that end the lizardman corpses would be there either way.

I'm serious, where and when did they say that? I wasn't even 100% sure that Ainz was behind the death-cloud in the first ep.
    I was actually expecting for hero-ainz to intervene and get the lizardmen loyality through that.

I mean, if his plan was to get lizardmen-necro warriors, he did a poor job from the very beginning, it made no sense for that to be his plan - at least not for us as a viewer.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Thu, 01-25-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I'm serious, where and when did they say that? I wasn't even 100% sure that Ainz was behind the death-cloud in the first ep.
    I was actually expecting for hero-ainz to intervene and get the lizardmen loyality through that.

I mean, if his plan was to get lizardmen-necro warriors, he did a poor job from the very beginning, it made no sense for that to be his plan - at least not for us as a viewer.
    Nah, at that point it was already his purpose to teach Cocytus a lesson. I don't remember when it was, but I do seem to remember at some point the lizardmen were mentioned as tougher material than humans. But then again, maybe Bill was just highly convincing and my memories were twisted...

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Download the second movie and fast forward to the post-Shaltear fight debrief. He states that there's an enemy of Nazarik out there and wishes to create an undead army for protection. Albedo states that humans will only make Undead lvl40 and below, but suggested Ains go wreck the Lizardman village that Aura has found.

It's around 1hr29mins into the movie.

After all that, we got:

-Ainz giving Cocytus an army
    -Declaring war on Lizardman
    -... teaching Cocytus a lesson?

We saw Demi-thingo teaching Cocytus about how Ainz wants him to learn something. At the same time, we've only seen Cocytus send in troops seemingly haphazardly.

Back when they were all watching Ainz fight Shaltear, Cocytus was the one who had the most insight into their battle. It seems rather strange for Cocytus to suddenly be portrayed as a good warrior but shitty general, and for an entire battle to be dedicated to his training.

Download the second movie and fast forward to the post-Shaltear fight debrief. He states that there's an enemy of Nazarik out there and wishes to create an undead army for protection. Albedo states that humans will only make Undead lvl40 and below, but suggested Ains go wreck the Lizardman village that Aura has found.

It's around 1hr29mins into the movie.

After all that, we got:

-Ainz giving Cocytus an army
    -Declaring war on Lizardman
    -... teaching Cocytus a lesson?

We saw Demi-thingo teaching Cocytus about how Ainz wants him to learn something. At the same time, we've only seen Cocytus send in troops seemingly haphazardly.

Back when they were all watching Ainz fight Shaltear, Cocytus was the one who had the most insight into their battle. It seems rather strange for Cocytus to suddenly be portrayed as a good warrior but shitty general, and for an entire battle to be dedicated to his training.
    I guess we should go watch the movie then? Assuming those are new scenes... It's been a while since I watched the first season obviously, so I don't recall particular details from it all told.

Didn't watch the movies, I thought they were supposed to be recaps but it seems like they new scenes.

Well... the greatest general can't do jackshit if his men are complete garbage.

And he's not even the greatest general. He's a great fighter himself and can do everything in an honest face to face fight (probably also if he alone was facing multiple opponents), but it doesn't mean he would be a good leader of much humbler underlings. That's a totally separate skillset, which he obviously doesn't possess.

He can analyse opponents. That much is evident. He didn't become a great warrior by just making himself strong, but he also knows how to read opponents, apply abilities and read the flow of battle. He doesn't have to be the greatest general, but he should at least do something aside from zerg rush.

He didn't show any signs that he even knows the Lizardmen's strengths or weaknesses and how he wanted to exploit them. This episode showed him doing nothing more than say "attack".

Also, I referenced the movies because I had those on hand. The same scene can be found at Episode 13, 18mins 25sec in HorribleSub's releases.

He can analyse opponents. That much is evident. He didn't become a great warrior by just making himself strong, but he also knows how to read opponents, apply abilities and read the flow of battle. He doesn't have to be the greatest general, but he should at least do something aside from zerg rush.
    Um... No. He became a great warrior because a player designed him that way by giving him high stats and skills suitable for a strong warrior, and might have also written in his description that he's that sort of a straightforward bushido like honourable fighter. Since he is a floor Guardian, it makes sense he actually does have underlings, but they are the automatic Nazarick folks, and he most certainly has never needed to make them perform any maneuvers.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Thanks for that clarification. So Ains needed to try him in a battle to check his real skills. Provided he does that with all his aids/generals/troops he'll get a picture of the stength of all his allies in this new setting that is different from the game he knew.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

He didn't become a great warrior by just making himself strong, but he also knows how to read opponents, apply abilities and read the flow of battle.
    It's actually very likely that he became a great warrior by just making him strong during his creation. After all, he's a game character created by a human who needed a warrior - or wanted to create one.
    It's not like he fought or had to proof his abilities and became what he is from experience.

I'm not calling him a great warrior because the show says he is. I'm calling him one because the other guys turn to him for analysis of Shaltear vs Ainz.

-He was the one who could tell them Ainz's chances of winning was 30%.
    -He was the one who knew when Ainz's victory was decided when Demiuge goes "why, seems 50/50 to me."
    -He's the one going through why various weapon choices were/n't viable during that fight.

This guy can fight with his head. He adapts and knows that strength only matters if it is applied at the right time and place.

He didn't use his head once vs Lizardmen as far as I'm concerned. That's my beef with him, but more importantly how this episode portrays him now compared to how they portrayed him in the past.

Nobody is saying he's not a great warrior. When I said he was made a great warrior, I meant it. He's a floor guardian. When some other guild tried to invade Nazarick, he would have, as an NPC, met them in his own domain. Obviously he was meant to be a tough, boss level fighter.

But that doesn't make him a great general. In fact he does seem to have troubles understanding not everyone is a great warrior like he is himself. He believes that marching head-on to confront the enemy is perfectly valid since, you know, everybody can fight like a monster. When you throw a superior number of monsters against the enemy, it's unfathomable, in his warrior's mind, that his side could still lose. He's a master of 1vs1 fights, but he hasn't got a clue how an army of weak beings vs another army of weak beings would really fare.