Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: One-Punch Man

I'm gonna actually agree with MFauli this time. I don't give a shit about this monster attack. I want to the see hijinks that ensue from Saitama actually being in a shounen tournament arc.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Another filler episode :/ was almost as bad as hero academia. Can we pls focus on the tournament and Saitama?
    Actually, this content and pacing is pretty much exactly the same as it was in the manga. If anything, I'd say they need to add in some filler, because these scene transitions almost happen too fast to keep up with.

Also, while the stuff with monsters isn't as exciting with the tournament, it's pretty essential to this arc's storyline. Often, Saitama finds himself distracted by something which keeps him from pretty much instantly resolving whatever conflict is building up. This tournament is also one of those distractions.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I'm itching for more Saitama and feel trolled by the fact that the tournament isn't progressing faster than it is, but that's kinda the joke and I'm okay with that.

The whole monster thing is interesting in that they obviously have a greater goal, with each individual monster seemingly aspiring and caring about progressing through their "ranks" / threat level. It ties into the whole point of Garo believing that monsters are sentient beings worth empathising with.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I also like the fact that heroes want to climb ranks/classes like monsters want to climb threat levels.
    Then there's Saitama who doesn't care
    Last edited by David75; Thu, 05-09-2019 at 09:37 AM.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

i think the animation really took a deep dive this episode... mouths not moving when there's audio, fights not being animated, etc.

Episode 6

- - - -

Did Saitama eat something he shouldn't have?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Did Saitama eat something he shouldn't have?
    Poor guy must be so nervous he's feeling unwell.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

*sigh* Genos got Genosed again....

I hate that Fubuki's and Tatsumaki's names are translated.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Yeah, makes no sense

I also dislike it, but I guess it was done to be consistent. They are the hero nicknames, like Saitama's Bald Cape, or whatever it was. Genos was Demon Cyborg, if I remember correctly. There would be lots of heroes whose hero names would be meaningless to non-Japanese speakers if they were left untranslated. Honestly, if I had needed to make a professional decision about it, I might have gone with translations as well. It's a tough spot to be in.

I also dislike it, but I guess it was done to be consistent. They are the hero nicknames, like Saitama's Bald Cape, or whatever it was. Genos was Demon Cyborg, if I remember correctly. There would be lots of heroes whose hero names would be meaningless to non-Japanese speakers if they were left untranslated. Honestly, if I had needed to make a professional decision about it, I might have gone with translations as well. It's a tough spot to be in.
    I don't mind when they use the full hero name, like Hellish Blizzard and Terrible Tornado or whatever. But when they say the name alone, they should leave it untranslated. Heck, I'd bet that's their real first name.

I also dislike it, but I guess it was done to be consistent. They are the hero nicknames, like Saitama's Bald Cape, or whatever it was. Genos was Demon Cyborg, if I remember correctly. There would be lots of heroes whose hero names would be meaningless to non-Japanese speakers if they were left untranslated. Honestly, if I had needed to make a professional decision about it, I might have gone with translations as well.
    This.

What are you just gonna gonna leave Saitama's superhero name as Hagemanto, so that nobody gets the joke?

If it were their real names, I could see leaving them untranslated, but if they're their superhero names, there's no reason to translate everyone else's names and not theirs.

I don't mind when they use the full hero name, like Hellish Blizzard and Terrible Tornado or whatever. But when they say the name alone, they should leave it untranslated. Heck, I'd bet that's their real first name.
    Dito, that's exactly it. I doubt 'Fubuki' is her hero name only. For example one guy in Inazuma Eleven also was called Fubuki - ofc they didn't translate his name.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    This.

What are you just gonna gonna leave Saitama's superhero name as Hagemanto, so that nobody gets the joke?

If it were their real names, I could see leaving them untranslated, but if they're their superhero names, there's no reason to translate everyone else's names and not theirs.
    Japanese names many times have meanings beyond the name intrinsically, do you suggest then that all names should be translated? As I said above, it's one thing when it's merely a hero name, but when it serves double duty as a name + hero name, then the best course of action is to leave it as is (and have a note explaining the name when introduced) and use the translation when the full alias is used.

the openning shows the hero names in english, so saitama gets Hagemanto and they get fubuki and tatsumaki. it's just weird because we don't know their real names.

i feel that they missed some parts from the manga here, where genos beating the monsters matches the way each non-important match is won. and we also lost a bit of characterization for some of the other fighters..

In season one they kept "Mumen Rider," though the joke doesn't really translate well without context regardless. Mumen Rider is a play off "Kamen Rider," a famous superhero series in Japan. It also literally means "Licenseless Rider," hence why he rides a bike to get around.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Japanese names many times have meanings beyond the name intrinsically, do you suggest then that all names should be translated? As I said above, it's one thing when it's merely a hero name, but when it serves double duty as a name + hero name, then the best course of action is to leave it as is
    And I agree with you. The problem is, a bunch of people in this thread are just assuming that Fubuki and Tatsumaki are their real names, when there's nothing to suggest that's the case.

If they were also their real names, than that would make their superhero names the equivalent of "Tina of Terror" and "Betty of Hell".

We know Genos and Saitama's real names, but outside of that, pretty much every other hero goes by their superhero name, and there's no reason to think these two are any different, but a bunch of you are for some reason.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Thu, 05-16-2019 at 10:55 AM.

so wait, is bang a real name? because his hero name is silverfang...
    then is blast related to bomb and bang?

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    So, do the sisters call each other by hero name all the time? Nah.

Tsumaki would be a nickname then, because her title is something-something-Tsumaki
    Fubiki's hero name is something something-Fubiki
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Thu, 05-16-2019 at 11:39 AM.