Thread: Undead Unluck

Undead Unluck

Anyone else watching this?

New Shounen series. Has been a lot of fun so far.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Good laughs at times, fast paced. A bit gory. I feel like the rush from the first few eps is waning a bit though.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    I feel like the rush from the first few eps is waning a bit though.
    I was getting there, but this episode (5) really opened up the world, and the metanarrative is interesting now.

---

Seriously, the worldbuilding in this show is fascinating.

"Mission complete: Everyone in the world now speaks the same language."

"Mission failed: Stars and aliens exist now!"
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Fri, 12-08-2023 at 11:58 PM.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Hmm.... I'll have to give it a try.

Just finished catching up. That was a decent arc, and I can't guess what is going to happen going forward, but we've an exceptionally odd little duck of a shounen here.

The world building is ambitious, as mentioned above, but whether it is used meaningfully will be a big factor in how satisfied I will be with it, but for now, this is pretty good.

The intro and first battle, and induction sections were slick, but it fumbled a bit on the zombie town arc by dragging that fight out to about an episode and a half longer than it was interesting. Playing the "Andy is the big bad himself" card this early and its group battle felt like a desperate act by the author as I was watching it, robbing the other Union members of their mystique, buuut it played out well enough. The Apocolypse/quest 'results' have been, by far, the most interesting portions of the show. This mafia cruise ship arc ended just before it started getting stale, but the show hasn't shaken off the faint impression that it is just throwing ideas at the wall sometimes, ya know?

I'm divided on how good this is, but for now I'm definitely interested in the story's direction. David production is doing a better job than they really have to from an animation standpoint and the important cuts are done justice.

---

It's kind of hard to care about a "shocking betrayal" of a character we've spent no time with.

I don't mind escalating here, and Billy was a nothing character (he's making a better villain with 3x the dialog), but what rubs me the wrong way is him (or anyone) having the most boring power ever introduced to anime: copying other powers. Major eye roll at that- I hope it isn't permanent because it is just so dull a power for anyone to have when powers thus far have been quirky and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    I don't mind escalating here, and Billy was a nothing character (he's making a better villain with 3x the dialog), but what rubs me the wrong way is him (or anyone) having the most boring power ever introduced to anime: copying other powers. Major eye roll at that- I hope it isn't permanent because it is just so dull a power for anyone to have when powers thus far have been quirky and interesting.
    I dunno. I like that his power is UNfair. And it's just...I have all your powers. That seems pretty appropriate to me.

It's fine to be UNfair, bosses should be a cut above, but this is just UNinteresting copy/paste.

Also, they seem to have the same goal, but the difference is their 'approach'. Since there is a somewhat distant deadline, and they have nukes, asking or forcing a few evacuations should be possible. Everyone's happy. That was the straw that broke their backs, it seems?

---

LORE DUMP!

I like this comic, but the show is too cheaply produced for me. It has more worthless flashbacks than peak Naruto.

Then my greatest compliment is that I can't tell what is filler in this show as of now. Yes, there are plenty of flashbacks (especially this episode to demonstrate the mentioned evidence of loops- which is kind of selling the audience short), but they seem fairly short compared to the current events and dialogue.

The heel-turn into "were all on the same side for real, guys" as sort of strange coming from Andy, but he wasn't a bad guy to start with. I also question that they felt the need to explain the meteors falling when there were no stars or planets in the sky, but no one questioned where they came from up until now. Not a big deal, but noticeable and I do appreciate the effort to be consistent.

---

Lol! What did this show suddenly turn into?

It was so meta, that it got meta into the meta.

I don't hate it, but it wasn't that interesting, either.