Page 57 of 65 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1293

Thread: Boku no Hero Academia

I think it's weird Twice's clones seem to, have the powers of the people he's copying? So that's two of them now that can suddenly copy people's powers?

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I agree that it shouldn't happen because now everyone is everything.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Twice did it first, when his Dabi Clone flame blasted Aizawa at the beginning of of season 3, during the villain attack. Toru's is apparently a power up, and that guy from class B also straight up copies powers with limitations. It is becoming a bit too saturated now as a power concept, I agree.

episode 111:

- why is he superhumanly fast?

- how did he survive the big guy's attack?

This fight feels like such an asspull, lol.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I didn't remember his power could travel through matter and transfer to other objects and then people.
    Pretty gore episode by MHA standards.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Man, I haven't watched all episodes yet... but twice is such a fricking cool character. The way is VA speaks is so awesome as well.

Yeah, Shigaraki suuuuuucks.

"My dad didn't approve of my childhood dream and slapped me once. So I'm not sad I disintegrated my whole family."

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    - why is he superhumanly fast?
    Speed training?

- how did he survive the big guy's attack?
    Toughness training? I didn't really understand the explanation for how that attack actually worked anyway...

----

So...I was watching an older clip of MHA and...isn't the doctor that tells Deku he's quirkless the mad scientist that works for the League of Villains?!

It's definitely him! He's got the same weird glasses! Wtf did he do to Deku?!
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Sun, 09-12-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Speed training?

Toughness training?
    So, why was Deku ever sad about being quirkless when you can just train yourself to be a super hero?

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

So, why was Deku ever sad about being quirkless when you can just train yourself to be a super hero?
    The new physical abilities are from fighting Gigantomachia for two months; plain old shounen 'all abilities+' buff from his mini training arc. You're a bit late to start complaining about that just now. There have been groans about characters having generic toughness and speed not applicable to their actual quirks since... Stain?

Spinner really does look like someone who can't get stuff done. His TNMT cosplay is even inferior to Stain's.

Shigaraki has, apparently, the absolute worst luck/timing for discovering his quirk out of all characters in MhA. Felt especially bad for the dog.
    Last edited by neflight86; Mon, 09-13-2021 at 11:03 AM. Reason: missing word

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    You're a bit late to start complaining about that just now. There have been groans about characters having generic toughness and speed not applicable to their actual quirks since... Stain?
    I assume he was one of the people complaining.

And as always, the counterargument is...this is a shonen series. Your magic powers are never your only powers.

I assume he was one of the people complaining.

And as always, the counterargument is...this is a shonen series. Your magic powers are never your only powers.
    Crap argument, but if that's your iq level, ok.

Crap argument, but if that's your iq level, ok.
    That is the level I set my IQ at when I watch shonen anime. Because that is the shonen IQ level.

But like neflight86 said, the entire series has been this. From the first time Eraserhead fought using bandages that have nothing to do with his powers. If you're still complaining about it at this point, do everyone a favor and stop...fucking...watching.

That is the level I set my IQ at when I watch shonen anime. Because that is the shonen IQ level.
    And yet shounen anime like Naruto (until the time skip) or HXH had no isse keep iq high, no bullshit upgrades.

It just undermines the whole initial drama. Deku could have just trained and become One Punch Man - or at least the stongest no-quirk hero. Would actually have been a much more intriguing plot: "The strongest hero without super powers"-.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Watch batman then

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

And yet shounen anime like Naruto (until the time skip) or HXH had no isse keep iq high, no bullshit upgrades.
    I've been waiting, and you just sprung my trap card. /yugioh

Do you remember how, in Hunter x Hunter, at the end of the initial Hunter Exam Gon squeezed (with a single hand) and broke the arm of one of the strongest characters, Illumi? I remember. He was what, 12? Illumi was late teens or early twenties, and a super assassin? Remember how Nen (potential physical enhancement) was introduced in the very next arc?

Naruto... not again... that is not a great example of what you are advocating... Every single ninja has a baseline of superhuman abilities and endurance gained by simply training- same as BnHA.

Superhuman characteristics are standard in pretty much all shounen stories - most anime for that matter.

I'm starting to feel that, if Hero Academia had been what came out 20 years ago instead, you would be complaining about how this new Naruto garbage isn't living up to the 'greats' of old and fudging what should be humanly possible... You're just old enough to see fiction for what it is, and forcing too much internal logic on an abstraction to begin with is only going to fuel your own inner 'comic book guy'. Are some things silly? Yes. Do a few things not match up to reality, or even try? Oh yeah. But is complaining about that really enriching your enjoyment of... anything?

Surely you have some other commentary, deep down, trying to claw its way out that will spin our heads with your perceptive insights on the metaphorical relationship between the villain losing the hands 'holding himself back' for a power up, or how hero society as a whole and the nature of professional public safety stewardship had a hand in these current conflicts, or maybe who can even safely fight Shigaraki at this point... or maybe the OST is cool sometimes? Whatever it is, I would like to hear about that much more than "This is dumb- see you next week".

Would actually have been a much more intriguing plot: "The strongest hero without super powers"-.
    Also, as for this concept, I would recommend you read the 'Mashle' manga (also in WsJ)- it's pretty much about 'What if Clark Kent enrolled in Hogwarts'?

I've been waiting, and you just sprung my trap card. /yugioh

Do you remember how, in Hunter x Hunter, at the end of the initial Hunter Exam Gon squeezed (with a single hand) and broke the arm of one of the strongest characters, Illumi? I remember. He was what, 12? Illumi was late teens or early twenties, and a super assassin? Remember how Nen (potential physical enhancement) was introduced in the very next arc?

Naruto... not again... that is not a great example of what you are advocating... Every single ninja has a baseline of superhuman abilities and endurance gained by simply training- same as BnHA.

Superhuman characteristics are standard in pretty much all shounen stories - most anime for that matter.

I'm starting to feel that, if Hero Academia had been what came out 20 years ago instead, you would be complaining about how this new Naruto garbage isn't living up to the 'greats' of old and fudging what should be humanly possible... You're just old enough to see fiction for what it is, and forcing too much internal logic on an abstraction to begin with is only going to fuel your own inner 'comic book guy'. Are some things silly? Yes. Do a few things not match up to reality, or even try? Oh yeah. But is complaining about that really enriching your enjoyment of... anything?

Surely you have some other commentary, deep down, trying to claw its way out that will spin our heads with your perceptive insights on the metaphorical relationship between the villain losing the hands 'holding himself back' for a power up, or how hero society as a whole and the nature of professional public safety stewardship had a hand in these current conflicts, or maybe who can even safely fight Shigaraki at this point... or maybe the OST is cool sometimes? Whatever it is, I would like to hear about that much more than "This is dumb- see you next week".

Also, as for this concept, I would recommend you read the 'Mashle' manga (also in WsJ)- it's pretty much about 'What if Clark Kent enrolled in Hogwarts'?
    You're 100% missing the point, neflight.

HXH, Naruto and other series never made me *feel* like the hero did such an asspull that ruined the whole show's premise.

Gon breaking Illumi's hand? That was perfectly plausible, Gon had already been displayed to have superhuman abilities, and that was him fuled by rage.

Yes, everyone in Naruto has superhuman abilities - that's established as a premise. It is NOT a premise in BnHA! In BnHA the premise is: No quirk -> loser. Had the premise been that physical training leads to such superhuman abilities, the whole drama about Deku being quirkless wouldn't have worked. Tthat's why it's so bad.

And Naruto DID become this bad in the time skip, mainly when Sasuke casually defeated Deidara. That was Naruto's jumpin-the-shark moment and it only got worse from there. Meanwhile HXH has only gotten better and went on to explain power upgrades in vast detail - too much detail some people would say. Even the scene with Illumi's broken arm was explained: Gon pretty much used nen without knowing about it. Just like his rage later on would let him defeat Neferpitou.

It's an insult to both HXH as well as your own iq to draw parallels to BnHA here.

You're 100% missing the point, neflight.

HXH, Naruto and other series never made me *feel* like the hero did such an asspull that ruined the whole show's premise.
    So we're debating your feelings... Yes, I definitely missed that point. I wondered why I was the only one providing examples. Understood. Unfortunately, if your irritation stems from notions unique to you, there isn't much discussion to be had- it just sounds like contrarianism to an outsider like me.

Gon breaking Illumi's hand? That was perfectly plausible, Gon had already been displayed to have superhuman abilities, and that was him fuled by rage.
    I agree on the 'rage' portion, but nothing in the show suggested he should have superhuman grip strength. Remember how he gripped at Hisoka's arms (both hands) with determination to live in the hunter exam when he was being choked out? Why weren't Hisoka's arms twizzlers after that? Because that wasn't a power/strength that Gon had.

When he did it to Illumi it was unexpected- that was the point of the scene- that he would eventually be a great threat due to the potential to grow, but the argument you made was that there should not be any unforeseen power spikes in anime, and this was one such spike. Is it nit-picky? Yes. For you and me.

Yes, everyone in Naruto has superhuman abilities - that's established as a premise. It is NOT a premise in BnHA! In BnHA the premise is: No quirk -> loser. Had the premise been that physical training leads to such superhuman abilities, the whole drama about Deku being quirkless wouldn't have worked. Tthat's why it's so bad.
    This is not established as a premise. How do you explain non-ninja folks in that world? They are plain people who haven't trained their way into ninja-dom; that's all. But the show isn't about them, so its easy to forget that all of the named characters had a base improvement in abilities by their training. Same logic in BnHA. Matter of fact, the premise of BnHA is that 80% of the population have powers, a much higher percentage than Naturo's populace are 'with gift'. The only one who actively shunned Midorya for not having a power was Bakugo. This argument doesn't hold up because it is demonstrably wrong.

The drama about being quirkless was address when All Might told Izuku to be a police officer or something. The actual message/moral/tone of the story has always been doing good with what you have. Izuku's lamentation and still wanting to enroll in U.A. without having a quirk should tell you that being a hero is all about mindset- not powers, though they are necessary. That all being said, once again, I agree with you that the limitations for what normal people can achieve in this show are fuzzy, and its fine to take issue with it, but to say that Deku would reach All-Might levels with plain old training does not appear to be a possibility.

Meanwhile HXH has only gotten better and went on to explain power upgrades in vast detail - too much detail some people would say. Even the scene with Illumi's broken arm was explained: Gon pretty much used nen without knowing about it.
    That's known as a ret-con, and it's pretty obvious unless you are willfully trying to not see it, which I don't blame you for.

It's an insult to both HXH as well as your own iq to draw parallels to BnHA here.
    No need for personal attacks. We're here to observe and discuss this show, ignoring that you drew the parallels first. Now that I better understand what bothers you about this so much, week after week- an invisible standard of continuity you alone can vet- I feel like I better get what makes you tick and why Boku's fuzzy character strength continues to hold you hostage and torment you. Thanks for the reply.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    If we're after a plausible explanation, quirks have been talked about as a form of human evolution. The trend continues when we're talking about having people develop their quirks and getting stronger etc.

From there, I'm going to say that those with quirks, along with those who have acquired quirks, are capable of training to improving their baseline and quirk abilities because they're capable of furthering "evolution".

Don't try to explain it on a genetic/molecular level.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

We all know the real reason MF shits on this show is because the show shits on Mineta, and he feels attacked, because he IS Mineta.

Even the scene with Illumi's broken arm was explained: Gon pretty much used nen without knowing about it.
    Show me that panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    If we're after a plausible explanation, quirks have been talked about as a form of human evolution. The trend continues when we're talking about having people develop their quirks and getting stronger etc.

From there, I'm going to say that those with quirks, along with those who have acquired quirks, are capable of training to improving their baseline and quirk abilities because they're capable of furthering "evolution".
    That's more or less my thinking. It is plausible/consistent enough to me, and my brain can fudge the rest of the details for sake of being entertained.