Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Clover

Black Clover

Asta is a young boy who dreams of becoming the greatest mage in the kingdom. He only has one problem, he can't use magic. Luckily for Asta, he receives the incredibly rare five-leaf clover grimoire that gives him the power of anti-magic. Even though he can't use magic, he plans to become the Wizard King. (from manga)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/encyc...e.php?id=19743

Was hopeful for Black Clover, seeming as a shounen series I could sit back and enjoy. What I got from the first episode instead was a poor man's Naruto with one of the most annoying characters I've come across. Not only was the character himself annoying, but the voice was cringe worth as well.

Not sure if I'll manage to watch more of it. I want to give it a try, but... yeah.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    You put all my gripes in words.
    Having Sasuke named right before starting a jutsu was deliberately done...
    Then the rivalry, the hokage equivalent in a country at war and the fact that one is super gifted when the other only has his extreme dedication to work.
    And that super annoying voice. I hope it was only for the first ep.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Can someone tell that VA to never voice a character like that again please...
    holy shit.

I hope this show will either turn out better or utterly fail and fall together with everyone who is responsible for that.

What's going on with that voice anyway? Did the VA eat a frog or something...I'm really close to raging when I listen to it because I feel like I have to keep clearing my throat.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sat, 10-07-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    He sounds like Hinata from Haikyuu is preparing for a climax every single line. I also could not stand it. Generic shounen is generic, and sort of a product of the genre (in a bad way).

This brings up a good 'get off my lawn' moment where I can complain about how the good old shounen series like HxH and One Piece relied on inventive ideas and characters to get me hooked instead of vague powers and cheap 'rivalries'... but then I remember Naruto is from that era... and I got to watch 50 episodes of One Piece before passing judgment... and HxH got a legendary adaptation from Madhouse... Thinking about it that way, I kind of feel sorry for Black Clover for tripping in its forerunners' footsteps. Not every shounen adaptation is going to be HeroAca, but maybe thats the standard they should aspire to?

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    He sounds like Hinata from Haikyuu is preparing for a climax every single line. I also could not stand it.
    Exactly.

2nd episode was even worse btw.

The build up was horrible and took way to long.

Have anyone read the manga? Should I just read it instead?

Well, just finished episode 4... and this was finally more to my liking. Not that it was good or anything, it was generic, but I have a soft spot for these types of scenarios, so I enjoyed it.

@Koyuki I haven't, but if I go simply by the main character VA, I'd say it wouldn't be a bad idea to read the manga... just not sure if it's good itself.

But, I'm not watching many series this season, so I don't mind keeping up with this series despite my misgivings.

Whichever peckerhead came up with the tagline "Not giving up is my magic" needs to be strung up and kicked repeatedly in the goolies.

---

So, am I crazy, or shouldn't Asta be able to get rid of the curse by touching his arms with his sword?

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Well, I stopped watching long but I'm surprised he didn't used that sword against his curse of idiocy... but he might lose his head so it's safer he's an idiot for never having that idea

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

---

Real talk? This shit is trying to give Naruto vs. Pain a run for it's money.

@Darth

does MC's constant "korrRRAAA-ness"/screaming calm down at some point (it will probably never die out completely)?

Kinda want to watch it after skimming through some opening... the spells look like a lot of fun.
    Not sure if I can stomach episode 1 Asta for basically 5 seasons worth of content though...

that video is what got me interesting again. Cool music!
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Fri, 05-10-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Not up to date, but I'm still watching. Still think it's a crap shounen series, and the MC VA sucks major balls, but good enough to pass time for me.

I'm about 20 episodes behind.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    @Darth

does MC's constant "korrRRAAA-ness"/screaming calm down at some point (it will probably never die out completely)?
    Either it did, or my brain blocks it out now.

I think he actually changed the way he screams though.

I'm 50 epsiodes in by now. It's true, the screaming kinda stops, or you start blocking it. It's certainly less than it was in the first 2 episodes.

The show has it's moments, the opening songs are
    *amazing* and fun to look at. Right now they are fighting the Beast dude and the opening shows an attack of each member in super highdef and slow-motion. Really fancy with the song in the background.

It's 90% super-trash though, but that's true for Fairy Tail too.
    Fairy Tail has much better music during the show itself and was a lot more emotional. I think the only time when I actually liked the background music was when Asta hit Light during their first encounter at the end.
    Some of the jokes are really funny though, so there is that.

Oh... and each and every episode is only roughly 15 minutes long, what a sham, 30% of the screentime is basically recap and post ending chibi-stuff. But at least the flashbacks themselves are shorter and and quicker.

Overall, not a lot to discuss, pretty derpy show that can be watched when someone is utterly bored.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Mon, 05-13-2019 at 03:10 PM.

I'm also at about Episode 50. Started again after watching a gigguk-video on youtube, because apparently something of actual consequence will happen to Asta ... fuck gigguk if it's not something Seriously epic :/

Also, I still want to see Asta marrying the nun at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Some of the jokes are really funny though, so there is that.
    Some. Few and far between.

This show has the worst case of "This character is ONLY this joke. And whenever they are on screen, they WILL be doing that one joke." ever.

That said, Gordon's bit gets me every time, and I just feel SO bad for him.

Basically, all the jokes come from the Captain.

When he abuses Portal guy to make him portals even if he just has to take a shit.
    (And when Portal guy wanted to brag to the girls about what he has done in the last few weeks)
    When he told the other captains after they came to his aid while he fought the Eyes and was about to be defeated
    "Ahh.. darn... uhm 2 more seconds and I'm sure something would've awakened in me!"
    or "How are we going to survive that - "Meh...I'll leave that to the me 5 seconds ahead"
    etc. etc.

That dude is the best.

The rest are, as you said, basically - 1 character = 1 trait = 1 joke.
    It's not like the captain doesn't have that ("I'll kill you") but these are the jokes that were on my mind when I wrote that.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Tue, 05-14-2019 at 11:55 AM.

He's definitely a self-aware shounen protagonist that's past his prime.