Thread: New computer HP Omen

Jounin

New computer HP Omen

My last computer fried and I was forced to buy a new one.

I purchased this one during last week's spring sale for $1900 Canadian.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...EdpNo=10079240

I tried to build my own but the cost of the the GTX 1070 here in Canada is 799 I think some sites have it at $999 Canadian. The cost for building my own for what is in this HP Prebuild was over $3000 USD or 3846 Canadian. I think $1900 is pretty good.

I am liking it so far. Seems pretty fast. Not sure I like this liquid cooling as my temperature seems to stay steady around 50-65 Celsius. I thought it would stay cooler as my last comp stayed around the 25-40 Celsius under heavy load with 3 fans and quad core and 12GB DDR3 1600 RAM.

I don't even know if 60 Celsius is normal for liquid cooling as this is my first time having a computer with it. Hoping for the best.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I found this.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/03/am...-say-they-are/

Normal or not, 60c is safe. My Intel idles at 45 and works at 90+.

That said, I've heard that Canada has a different climate to Australia.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Jounin
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    I found this.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/03/am...-say-they-are/

Normal or not, 60c is safe. My Intel idles at 45 and works at 90+.

That said, I've heard that Canada has a different climate to Australia.
    Sweet! Thank you very much.

I see now, so it is just registering 20C higher than it really is to keep the fan speed consistent. Phew! I was worried for a bit lol. Ya it is cooler here compared to Australia.

Now is the worst time ever to build a whole new computer. The miners have made video cards extremely expensive, assuming you can even find one, and the memory shortage has become so chronic RAM costs even 2.5 times more than a couple of years ago. The CPU situation of course is splendid with AMD back in competition, but it's a slim comfort with other things costing an arm and a leg.

Jounin
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Now is the worst time ever to build a whole new computer. The miners have made video cards extremely expensive, assuming you can even find one, and the memory shortage has become so chronic RAM costs even 2.5 times more than a couple of years ago. The CPU situation of course is splendid with AMD back in competition, but it's a slim comfort with other things costing an arm and a leg.
    I noticed. I plan to buy 16GB more of RAM this week and that is going to cost $220 to $290 depending on brand I think. I may order online if I can find a good deal for DDR4 2400mhz dual channel.

That is why when I tried to build my own the cost would never go below $3000 USD.

I'll be happy if HP gets in to the gaming desktop market. At the cost of most parts now... going with a prebuild from HP or another major manufacturer might be the way of the future now unless you're rich, or in the cryptocurrency mining. Since I lack both, prebuilts will be for me.

It's just a pity that Ryzens would really benefit from fast RAM. There's measurable advantage from using something around 3000MHz, as opposed to the reference speeds near the bottom. With Intel's CPUs you would need to be doing something relying heavily on memory speed to notice the difference, but with Ryzen, it can affect even gaming.

Since for years all RAM was optimised for the Intel Core architecture, not all memory is as compatible with Ryzen memory controller and motherboards, though. Not that everything would be perfectly compatible with Intel either. I had to return my initial DIMMs to the store and get another model of RAM for my Skylake.

Jounin
    Ouch Kraco.

Not sure, the RAM installed is 2400Mhz. I figure I should stick with what is already working lol. I think 3000mhz is one of the supported RAMs for 1800x. One day I will try to upgrade all 32GB to 3000mhz. 16GB more at $200 for 2400mhz is achievable in my price range at the moment.