Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Megalo Box

He's finally getting the recognition he deserves...

Season 2 - Episode 1:

Man, I dunno. I ended up enjoying the episode, BUT it feels like they're way too hard trying to present this in the way of some Oscar-bait fancy story now. Like chasing after Breaking Bad-style. I dunno. Give me less artsyfartsy music scenes and more story.

Also, I don't like stories that make a jump and then spend the new season slowly revealing what happened during these past 5 years. Just tell us why Joe isn't a rich, successful guy now after becoming champion at the end of season 1 ;>

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    This suited me just fine. Not all people are 'equipped' to deal with success, and someone as used to fighting in the mud may just not have been cut out for the high life. It seems like he lost it when he lost an exhibition match after becoming champion, and without his drive to fight Yuri (or the guidance of his presumably dead trainer), fell into a bad place.

I enjoyed the big chinned fight fixer- he's not as naive nor proud as Joe, and it works in his favor.

I don't expect it to, but it would be neat if this second season focused on Joe giving up the fight and mentoring another upcoming talent to take the championship in his place. But lets get real- this will be a twice-cooked underdog story, and that ain't bad.

Season 2 - Episode 2:

Wow, that was a cool end there. Joe as a trainer? On one hand it's a bummer he won't fight himself, on the other hand, I like the dynamic between him and the buff guy. And unlike Joe, he really got something to fight for.

I wonder how Joe's old trainer died. And that kid he hallucinated about, died, too?

Totally hope that Joe hooks up with the hot chick, though. Come on, dat booty <3

Dio is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Season 2 - Episode 2:

Wow, that was a cool end there. Joe as a trainer? On one hand it's a bummer he won't fight himself, on the other hand, I like the dynamic between him and the buff guy. And unlike Joe, he really got something to fight for.
    Something tells me he will train him a bit, and that guy will get injured, 'accidented', or something else that makes Joe the only one fit to actually participate in the tournament now that there's something on the line.

I like the 'underdog fighter is an inspiration to the little guy' angle. Giving hope. It gives sports a appreciable utility to society, since I don't really get them otherwise.

I like how the dead trainer in his head is full on blaming him for his death- will that eventually be resolved on Joe's terms (telling the illusion off like old times), or as his mental image of the old trainer softening up into forgiveness?

And there it is. Sorry to see those people getting beaten down and blamed for local ails... But now that Joe's got some skin in the game, he'll no doubt get dragged back into the ring.

I like coach being definitively portrayed as a side effect of the shifty pain meds given form by Joe's conscience. A bit cliché, but it worked really well when none of the old crew is around to fill us in to how Joe dug his hole so deep during the time skip. I didn't know that there was an honest to goodness falling out with the urchin kid. I wonder if he'll show up again to rub some salt in those wounds?

Is Sachio supposed to be dead, too? Not sure I understood that whole story.

Marla's son is super annoying. "Hey, we hate immigrants, but help us make your family feel miserable, because OUR RESPECT!!1" :/ This season's Gabi!

You still expect Joe himself to enter the box ring, netfight? I guess ... maybe if the finale ends in tragedy and the new guy dies, then Joe swears revenge and takes over the fight. Would give him a real reason to fight again, too, revenge AND protecting these people that were nice to him.

Well we're only 1 fight away from the end of this tournament, and we're only on episode 3. Obvious shits gonna pop off at some point.

I think even if he wins the tournament, Chief is fucking dead. Cause it's obvious at this point that even if he gets murdered to avoid paying him the prize money, none of the locals are going to give a shit.

My guess is he gets seriously injured in the fire he ran into and Joe has to take his place... I think he'll get to live. As for it ending after this tournament, no- I expect Joe's gonna do a full comeback tour for the rest of the season to earn some real money since they will likely get cheated out of this tourney money somehow.

So I know I have it straight, he ran back in for the money he has squirreled away in that trailer (the future of those refugees), right?

Episode 4:

So ... why? Was it delayed trauma from the punches against the back of his head?

I'm assuming complications from a concussion. Hence, not wanting to fall asleep.

He should have seen a doctor.

Was surprised that this story just ended.

I'm sorta surprised that the roundhouse backhand was even called as a foul by the ref. I thought the entire thing would be rigged.

At least one punk kid seems to have the beginnings of grasping the nobility of resisting the culture of hatred.

It was abrupt, and I guess it amounts to the fuel Joe needed to face his other demons. I also kinda figured he'd be around the trailer park a bit longer. Back to the city, I guess.

I'd assume that whatever he's about to do now, he'll return in the last episode and settle in with Marla and keep an eye on everything. I'll even predict the ending shot: Him sitting in a chair in front of chief's grave.

Something something hummingbirds.

Two part review of how Joe got o be so hated by the people he called friends/family.

So the old trainer had cancer, and Joe desperately tried to win a prize fight for the money to extend his life (dubious experimental treatment), and ended up training/focusing too hard on the match to be with him as he withered away and lost the fight. The show does a lot with this death, and I commend it.

What rubs me the wrong way about this arc is how everyone is dumping on Joe because he... was hurt by the passing of a friend? Everyone accuses him of 'abandoning' his family after the trauma of losing someone he knew for waaaaaay longer than any of them, and he just takes it. The guilt is too strong. Those kids started to hang around, if I recall correctly, because Joe was winning fights above ground. He was a meal ticket. What he did made sense in its own way: never give up, never stop struggling- even against cancer, and the trainer was on board (as much as he was for anything).

But none of that matters, apparently, because those (random) kids felt entitled to his emotional journey. Even the adults who should have known better (mechanic and other trainer) acted like Joe caused the gym to flood and actively ruined their lives. There is some nuance to the resentment, and that is what makes this compelling, even if I don't agree to it. Sachio apparently is the gatekeeper for their 'family', and can eject people at will... some family. But my frustration stems from feeling like this is exactly what people do- rationalize their emotions into reasons for resentment, and act upon them. It feels real. It hurt to watch, but don't for a second regret watching it.

I like how they weaved the flashback to match the timing of both fights... and both losses. I was very disappointed until they revealed the underground fight was fixed, and then it made too much sense. How else would he get that deed back without making it worthwhile to the gangster?

Yeah, I also don't get what Joe did so evil. At worst he missed the coaches death because he was trying to help. And then left everyone, so the streetkids were streetkids again, I guess? Not saying packing and leaving is nice, but their reaction makes it seem like Joe *caused* the coach's death.

Anyway, still a very good anime. Despite some good action, it's really laid-back, so I enjoy watching it late at night when it's dark outside and I'm tired and ready for bed.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    At worst he missed the coaches death because he was trying to help.
    It pretty goddamn obvious to everyone that, even if he'd won, it was still to late.

He was clearly using the fight as an excuse to avoid being at the hospital and facing his friend's death.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    It pretty goddamn obvious to everyone that, even if he'd won, it was still to late.

He was clearly using the fight as an excuse to avoid being at the hospital and facing his friend's death.
    Then that doesnt make him a bad person, either. Basically he didnt want to face the reality of someone he loved dying.

Sure. I'm just saying what he was doing was worse than your "at worst".

Take your time Megalo Box, this is good. Slowly re-introduce characters and show us how things change as time passes. I like that even the champ knows he was fighting a potato and is struggling to find his own identity as a fighter, and is not as proud as Yuri was when it comes to challenging Joe.

Are they setting up Max to be the actual rival this season? Seems like he is getting too much screen time to go down like a chump, and it would re-ignite the 'man versus machine' theme from season one. Also, the altruism of the CEO guy is a bit thick, but I believe him for now. CEO lady with the short hair is cute, and they even brought her brother back?

When is Yuri gonna get the implant that will let him walk (and fight) again?