Thread: Manga: Rokudou no Onna-tachi

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar

Manga: Rokudou no Onna-tachi

18385-rokudou_no_onnatachi.jpg

"Rokudou is a loser, and everyone knows it. He gets picked on at school, gets snide looks from passersby, and can only muster up the courage to complain in secret with his equally hapless friends. Looking to turn his life around, he desperately uses an ancestral artifact passed down in his family for generations: a scroll that is capable of subduing all demons. However, in the modern age it has a different effect - it makes all bad girls fall in love with him."

-from mangaupdates.com

Genre(s): shounen, comedy, action

Something about this compelled me to start a thread here. This is waaaaaaaaay better than it should probably be. The setup is harem antics with ghetto 'gal' type girls in a delinquent school with flashes of shounen battles. The art is kinda 'roundish' and kind of inconsistent, like the author references his drawings often, and one of the early arcs is a bit weak, but the story and comedy overall really struck a note for me. I like that Rokudou has some (unfounded) pride and character that feels like a good natured bullied person, not just some blank slate main character. His two loser friends also come off as actually fun people to hang around and characters constantly exhibit lives and interests outside of their dedicated 'screen time'. Very easy to read. Some scenes actually choked me up a bit, but not really the 'emotional scenes', per say.

One kinda neat idea is that most of the 'bad girls' who are attracted to Rokudou are over him by the time they are rehabilitated because, you guessed it, they are no longer bad!

Please, give it a read and let me know what you think. It looks completely disposable, but I can vouch there's some good stuff in there.

I'm not that far into it (I just finished the biker girl arc) but I have really been enjoying it. Rokudou isn't a complete waste of space, he's not a coward, but always admits that he is, but he has a really strong sense of honor, which earns him respect. The girls and Rokudou's growing collection of friends aren't just stock characters like a lot of ecchi harem series have, they all get some degree of real development.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Glad you like it. For me, biker girl was the 'weak arc' I mentioned, but I thought it only got better from there. I like how subtle the development is for the side characters. You can see in their actions their character and how they grow.

Honestly, aside from the second arc with the biker girl, this series has been consistently getting better with every arc. I think there are really only a few chapters that I haven't laughed during or at the absolute least smiled while reading.

The current arc has incredible one liners. I'd post a few examples, but they'd be spoilers.

Guess what?

It's getting an anime.