Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saihate no Paladin

Saihate no Paladin

"William is the lone human in a city of the dead. Born with vague memories of a past life where he failed to do anything useful, he is determined not to make the same mistake again, and that this time, his life will be lived. But what does that really mean? Raised by a group of the undead, William must discover what circumstances brought him to this city and these people as well as what it means to not just exist, but to live a full life." -Baka-Manga Updates

- - - - - -

This is one of the series I was looking forward to, of course in addition to Mushoku s2. Funnily enough the description is not altogether different. The series is somewhat different, though: No immediate perversion to be seen, haha. I was afraid of the possible lack of production values, but at least so far it seems tolerable. I quite like the manga as the plot is good, there's occasionally deep dialogue with insights, and the MC is not instantly super OP, as this episode already showed. I guess that's another thing this has in common with Mushoku: In both the dudes have to train to get better, even if they are gifted.

Why can't the hero be a girl when he's looking and sounding like a girl anyway? So fucking dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Why can't the hero be a girl when he's looking and sounding like a girl anyway? So fucking dumb.
    If the voice actor doesn't change into a male one later, I don't know what to think of it anymore. Since the vast majority of anime use (adult) female voice actors to voice underage boys, it's nothing peculiar if he sounds like a girl here. Few anime use child actors in the first place, and those shows tend not to be action shows or anything like that.

Most shounen/seinen isekai have a male MC, most shoujo/josei female. That's just how it goes. Since isekai series in general are exceedingly escapist in nature, it makes perfect sense. Of course there are also some exceptions, but, surprise surprise, they tend to be... you guessed it, gender bender/homosexual.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    As expected, I don't like the VA being a female.
    I doubt that will change, it just doesn't fit aside from the young age version.

There is no male VA credited to this show and MC, is there?

Argh... I kinda hope this is a second Mushoku, but I'm having trouble getting "into it" with that voice.
    Is this weird? I just can't imagine that voice when he's an adult/teenager... and he is going to be one.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 10-10-2021 at 02:57 PM.

It's going to bother me as well, no matter how much I like the story, if it doesn't change. Maybe there's no one else listed because they haven't announced it yet for whatever reason?

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Didn't even notice the girl voice thing.

Pretty boiler plate isekai stuff right now, setting wise. Magic, swords, and petty gods, and the OP isn't selling it as anything new, either. I'll give it another few eps for it to become more its own thing. It's like surviving the beginning of generic shounen- formulaic as they are, after a while they have no choice but to be their own story.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Is this weird?
    You're the 3rd person in a row to complain about it, so I'm guessing not. But it didn't bother me.

Episode 2

-----------------------------------------

still a woman.

sad face.

I actually started picturing him as a girl. Then I reminded myself, oh wait, it's a guy.

Yeah, it's kind of difficult to imagine the later story with the dude sounding like that. Who knows what the director was thinking. Probably nothing, looking at the director's past projects.

Episode 3

Are you sure about that?

Episode 5

---------------------------------

I think sometimes, even the animators forgot that he's a guy.

Either way, I think the scene from the past with Blood and Mary was quite fun to watch.
    I'm interested in the next few episodes, now that his journey is starting.

Not a fan of the lack of explanation for his "blessings".
    They are just there and well.... that's it. Feels cheap how he got them imho.

Almost felt like he should've gotten them *after* all this. Not right at the beginning. But I guess that's just how this "game world" works.

I'm kinda bored with this so far.

I think I'll have a look at the next episode still, but if Will remains as androgynous as he's been so far in the anime, I'll drop the series. It clashes too much with my image of him in the manga. Maybe if I hadn't been reading the manga, it wouldn't bother me as much, but as it is, it does. A pity. This is decently highly quality fantasy, and in fact one of the few isekai not falling into the trash isekai category.

Episode 6

- - - -

That's it, I guess, even though it's a pity to drop a show I made the thread for. I don't know which one is closer to the novel source, but I much prefer the manga with a male MC, not this anime with the androgynous MC. Perhaps because I'm used to the manga version, who knows. Although without spoiling anything, the anime director's choice would only bother me more and more in the future, as the story progresses. I'm sure the director had his reasons, which absolutely had nothing to do with the fact all of his previous works either had a pure all girls cast or were a single male plus plenty of girls harem shows.

I bet this elf that sounds like a guy is really a chick, just to rub it in.

Hmmm...

That epsiode felt rushed.
    It's like this interaction between the 2 villages could've been done way better.
    We were kinda thrown in there and I don't quite understand why the elf helped village A but not B even though he seemed to be "neutral" and hunted for both villages?

I actually thought the elf was female from the preview, now I'm disappointed.

Either way, I think this show could be a great fantasy show. I'm getting these old-school RPG vibes from it.
    Although I believe the animation (alongside female MC VA) and art is ruining it.
    I took a look at some of the LN pictures and it reminds me a lot of Overlord.

Would've prefered that version. The anime looks "goofy".
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Sun, 11-14-2021 at 05:33 PM.

They look like anime versions of those characters to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    They look like anime versions of those characters to me.
    Ya but "happy" versions.
    They could've chosen a "monster" design, like in the LN - especially Blood
    You know, like Berserk's Skeleton Knight compared to Blood.

Most of the time, blood looks like he is out of a slice-of-life show, even though he looks like an absolut monstrosity directly out of the Warhammer universe
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Mon, 11-15-2021 at 08:22 AM.

It's probably also a question of animation budget since the simplified, cartoony looks are much more friendly for drawing the animation frames, in addition to the director's personal taste. I don't really care that much about it since Blood was, in the bigger picture, just a character for the very beginning of the series. I could accept Will's androgynous looks, compared to the manga where he does look like a man by the time he hits the road, but I can't accept the VA. It's just too much. It would be interesting to know if his (adult) voice is described as feminine in the novel, thus making this a faithful adaptation, or if the director is just nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Ya but "happy" versions.
    Cause they ARE happy.