Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Isekai Ojisan

Isekai Ojisan

Seventeen years ago, Takafumi's uncle fell into a coma, but now he's back like a man risen from his grave. Soon, Takafumi discovers two bizarre things: His uncle treasures video games above all else, and, while comatose, he was actually transported to another world as some heroic guardian! Now, not only does Takafumi have to room with an uncle who is literally magical, he also has to catch the guy up on two decades of history—smartphones, high-speed internet, modern anime tropes...and the traumatic outcome of the '90s console war!

-------------------------------
    -------------------------------

Episode 1:

That was just super enjoyable from start to finish

First of all, I like that this isn't just gags only like so many comedy anime do it, there's serious parts, too, and scenes develop quite naturally.

Secondly, I love how how his coma time comes into play with the present time. "He went to coma before the concept of Tsundere became widely popular", omg, I burst out in laughter And then his SEGA-fanboy-ing, hahaha. While I have always been a Nintendo-fan, it's still fun seeing this hardcore-SEGA fan reminiscing old SEGA-stuff ^^

And then I'm glad that they'Re actually showing scenes from the isekai, too.

The one thing I'm not sure about is whether the whole series takes place inside the appartment (which lots of gag series do) or whether they leave the house often, too, and exerpience stuff outside. I'd hope so.

The ong thing I found kinda silly was how overplayed his supposed ugliness was. He didn't come off as specially ugly from what we could see. Not sure why the isekai people reacted so negatively to him. And holy shit, lol, that girl offering up to be raped by him as a reward, rofl. And he got no idea what it meant.

If this anime can keep it up, it's gonna be fantastic. Also I hope the elf girl somehow can follow him to the real word, I wanna see a happy end here.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Too bad netflix has the license. They won't air it for another two weeks since they don't understand how simulcast works.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    This is fun.
    I feel bad for the poor guy, but damn, the "he's ugly" joke is amazing.

Found some rips today.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    The ong thing I found kinda silly was how overplayed his supposed ugliness was. He didn't come off as specially ugly from what we could see. Not sure why the isekai people reacted so negatively to him. And holy shit, lol, that girl offering up to be raped by him as a reward, rofl. And he got no idea what it meant.

If this anime can keep it up, it's gonna be fantastic.
    The uncle did say that everyone in the other world is supernaturally attractive by our standards. So the uncle, being like a 4/10 by our world's standards, was monstrously ugly by theirs.

Best girls of the season are all in this show. Four equally Best Girls.

The series is top tier, but keep in mind the general level of misunderstanding that the uncle had in the other world and his lack of awareness of all the isekai archetype tropes that we know. What sets this apart is the art style, the fact that he's a returnee with all his powers, he's also essentially a coma victim in terms of our own world, and it's also a retrospective perspective on his experiences in the other world.

There's a lot of erased memories in his notebook that he's keeping track of with tally/hash marks. The subtext of this series is does not come off as a particularly happy one.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    It was a slow burn, but by the end of this first episode I was enjoying it.

I shouldn't have approached this as a typical deconstruction or trope-bingo isekai comedy/parody. There was certainly more substance here than most, but the gags, as they were, took longer to build than I would like. The heart is there, though, and I'm really looking forward to what they do with this setup now that the setup is effectively done.

Episode 2:

Way too short. Damn, this was fun. The girl adds a whole new level of fun

Burst out in laughter when the uncle started talking about Evangelion, rofl.

Oh, and the old Sega magazine with the ranking

They should put in a HXH reference, something that actually is still running >_>

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    I was just about to say that in episode 2, the jokes felt lame and I wondered how this show will remain entertaining - it was slightly funny but the sega jokes get old real quick.... that's when the girl showed up.

Three of the four best girls already getting screentime and it is only episode 2.

Fujimiya is the best of the best girls though. I love her sharp expressions the most. The absolutely glare she's giving off when she finds the stray hair on the floor (which is obviously the uncle's, hahah). Also her sullen side glance expression when the uncle comes in the balcony door (both the up close detail and even better the lower fidelity wide shot a second later). Visual comedy here is absolutely on-point.

The little details on the worldbuilding are really good. This episode just low-key told us how the Uncle can do magic in both worlds.

Still great entertainment. I'm a sucker for the super dense Ojisan and want to hear more of his misadventures. With the new girl came a (needed) new dynamic and I couldn't be more invested in what happens next.

Episode 3:

Another fun episode, but I had hoped the real elf would come to the real world instead of a transformation.

Also, ultimately uncle is another "gay hero" which is super frustration. He could have "had" that elf girl :/

Oh, and wtf: I thought that ugly kid was uncle as a child. Did the girl undergo transgender surgery or what?!

Obviously Fujimiya was a late bloomer.

Honestly, one of my favorite traits of the series is that the Uncle just stops listening to the Elf all the time when she's talking. That kind of neglect-play is guaranteed to work on anime tsundere. And of course, it does here too.

I love the way the series deals with worldbuilding exposition because the Uncle does. not. care. They've even set that personality aspect up because he dislikes RPGs. He ignores her when she's dropping lore, he ignores the quest-like prompts and just goes and kills the boss outright, etc. But instead of coming off as a shitty person, he just comes off as either a driven person or one who inherently knows he's so overpowered that he can just do what he wants to experiment out of sheer curiosity, and he's up front about that too.

It makes it refreshing.

I wouldn't say he's the usual asexual protagonist. He doesn't recognize the tropes, and he is so narrowly focused on Sega and wanting to get home that he ignores all the advances. He actually has a reason, instead of the usual where they are interested in girls, want them, but ultimately do nothing with them. The uncle actively thinks the Elf hates him because she shit talks him all the time.

He's just socially inept, like with the youtube comments. But that was then, in the other world. He catches up fast in the present, like with the scenes with Fujimiya. Takefumi has the same problem the uncle had in not recognizing the affection.

I just can't get over the "omg he's so ugly" scenes. Calling him orc-face and people seriously thinking he might be an orc. The anime does a really bad job at portraying this believably in any way.

That was established in ep1. Everyone there was gorgeous, and anyone who doesn't meet that standard might as well be an orc. No need to explain it further.

Most all of the jokes are unique and I really appreciate the effort of coming up with fresh material like this. The metacommentary about youtuber life and what makes a video viable are especially funny. I also loved Ojisan dropping the aunt act but not transforming back and everyone just rolls with it. Great stuff.

He doesn't LOOK like an orc though. He looks more like a goblin, or possibly a ghoul.

They should put in a HXH reference, something that actually is still running
    If you can call it that...

Eps 4

FYI, due to a COVID outbreak at the studio, episode 5 will air 17th August

----------

Fujimiya is the best of the best girls. I appreciate the childhood tormentor/guardian/friend dynamic, but unfortunately, she seems to have friendzoned herself. Bonus points that she's an ugly duckling who grew up hot after she hit college age. Fujimiya actually covers quite a bit of shoujo romance manga tropes, which is a nice compliment to the otherworld girls who are all some shonen romance tropes. Her attempts at seduction backfiring, hell even her being the initiator in the majority of the scenes, feels fresh. They're not forced gags, they're adorable awkward first romance.

Elf's translucent dress ftw. And the soft protest noises in her dere mode are even better. A truly god-tier tsundere who drops in volume the more dere she gets.

His motto being from Puyo Puyo is actually a good one. Risky half-fills of the screen are the current Vs strategy even.

I too was like "You sent him your middleschool photo?! You trying to get him on the registry?!"

The memories are hilarious, but they make me crave some of his snubbed ladies to make the cross over with him, and the hijinks they would bring.

I enjoy 99% of this show, but that Fujimiya is supposed to be that school kid is just dumb imo. It's a totally different person that cannot be explained away with "well, she grew up and changed". It's not funny either. No idea why they keep doing this.

Hard disagree.

It's very funny. And it's called puberty and a new haircut.

It's a totally different person that cannot be explained away with "well, she grew up and changed".
    Yes it can. I knew several people like that.

I swear, sometimes it feels like you've never met a real person before.