Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    So ... steam breathing-style?
    Well, I was thinking more...two swords, one water, one fire. But that'd be pretty cool too.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    "Suddenly, Compatibility" did feel left-field, but not so far out there to jar away my enjoyment of the fights. The wives were found very quickly, and I'm surprised they all survived. Good thing he picked attractive wives, apparently.

Innosuke worming through the hole was a stellar visual gag that really got a good laugh out of me. Bravo, author-kun.

So, is it precedented that upper demons can spawn parts of themselves with fragments of the personality/will? I don't mind of not so; just wondering, because that's kind of what Muzan does by making the upper demons.

The pacing was so good, it felt like this episode was over in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    So, is it precedented that upper demons can spawn parts of themselves with fragments of the personality/will? I don't mind of not so; just wondering, because that's kind of what Muzan does by making the upper demons.
    I assumed it was a lesser demon serving her.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    I assumed from the direct telepathy and it being cloth that it was a part of herself detached for the purpose of protecting her food source.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    I'm curious if we'll ever get to see Tanjiro dual wield fire and water at the same time.
    There shouldn't be any real point if Water is the derivative of Sun.

And.. dude, there's probably more Yaoi stuff for KnY than there is straight.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

I still don't fully understand whether the breathing styles produce actual elements or not, or if those are just meant to be artistic flourishes representative of the style...

I always thought it was artistic flourishes, but where that line is, isn't clear.

Shinobu poisons her enemies by using the tip of her blade as "a stinger" to inject wisteria-based poisons and all the butterflies and stuff are definitely artistic. But Tengen has explosive power to crush rock through sound (apparently) and Zenitsu breathes out static electricity contrasted to the other styles who usually just show rushing air, though he's not electrifying his enemies with his one mastered skill. The water breathing and flame breathing are definitely artistic and not manifested.

Though Nezuko's blood really does catch on fire.

Meanwhile, raising your body temperature makes Sun Breathing more effective so.. /shrug.

It's still Fire Breathing. Tanjiro doesn't know anything about Sun Breather, other than that it exists.

Do Mouth Breathers exist, too?

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

It's still Fire Breathing. Tanjiro doesn't know anything about Sun Breather, other than that it exists.
    Fire Breathing is what Flame Hashiras do. Sun breathing is what Tanjiro does. Tanjiro doesn't know the full ins and outs of it, but his family does Sun breathing.

Tanjiro doesn't practice Fire Breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    Tanjiro doesn't know the full ins and outs of it, but his family does Sun breathing.

Tanjiro doesn't practice Fire Breathing.
    And I suppose he also doesn't practice Water Breathing either, right?

Pretty sure when he uses ACTUAL Sun Breathing, it's not going to be mistaken for Fire.

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar

Pretty sure when he uses ACTUAL Sun Breathing, it's not going to be mistaken for Fire.
    What do you mean exactly?

He does practice Water Breathing, he did practice "Tanjiro-clan" breathing in the past as well afaik. With his father, unintentionally, not knowing it was "XYZ breathing" mostly.

I'm not up to date with the episodes though.

Sun Breathing is the core of ALL breath techniques. So if Tanjiro is using any breath technique, but modifying it so it "feels more natural," it is very likely that he's touching on the forgotten techniques.

When Tanjiro uses Water Breathing attacks, but they manifest as fire because he's inserting the family traditional dance moves and they show it switching to red, we can assume that's Sun Breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Sun Breathing is the core of ALL breath techniques. So if Tanjiro is using any breath technique, but modifying it so it "feels more natural," it is very likely that he's touching on the forgotten techniques.
    Touching on, yes. But not currently using. That was the whole point of the book is to establish that the technique is forgotten, and it needs to be recreated.

When Tanjiro uses Water Breathing attacks, but they manifest as fire because he's inserting the family traditional dance moves and they show it switching to red, we can assume that's Sun Breathing.
    Why?

Why do you even assume his dad knew Sun Breathing? It's supposed to be some kind of long lost art. If Tanjiro's father was a Slayer that used Sun Breathing during the same period when Rengoku's father was a Slayer, why would he think it was lost? He wouldn't have to be pondering over some ancient manual trying to recreate it.

If all the breathing techniques are incomplete Sun Breathing techniques, Tanjiro's father's technique is seemingly STILL incomplete Fire Breathing. I'm sure it'll be necessary for Tanjiro to unlock real Sun Breathing, but what he uses now, ain't it.

I'm betting that REAL Sun Breathing...probably fucks demons up like actual sunlight does.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Fri, 01-07-2022 at 08:56 AM.

Why?

Why do you even assume his dad knew Sun Breathing? It's supposed to be some kind of long lost art. If Tanjiro's father was a Slayer that used Sun Breathing during the same period when Rengoku's father was a Slayer, why would he think it was lost? He wouldn't have to be pondering over some ancient manual trying to recreate it.

If all the breathing techniques are incomplete Sun Breathing techniques, Tanjiro's father's technique is seemingly STILL incomplete Fire Breathing. I'm sure it'll be necessary for Tanjiro to unlock real Sun Breathing, but what he uses now, ain't it.
    Were you even paying attention at all this arc? Or from the beginning of the series?

Rengoku's father lost his shit when he saw Tanjiro's earrings, that Tanjiro's dad always wore, and immediately launched into his tirade about Sun Breathing and the presumption that Tanjiro came to look down on them.

Why did Muzan himself trek all the way into the deep Northern wilderness to find Tanjiro's family, and slaughter every. single. one of them he could find?

Put two and two together.

Though it is unclear why he elected to inject Nezuko with his blood.

There's likely a reason that Tanjiro's father isolated himself in the wilderness, and was so sickly. Perhaps Sun Breathing has a double-edge to it when improperly used. Maybe most of the techniques do. They're pushing the human body to extreme limits to match the superhuman ability of the demons.

Rengoku's father lost his shit when he saw Tanjiro's earrings, that Tanjiro's dad always wore, and immediately launched into his tirade about Sun Breathing and the presumption that Tanjiro came to look down on them.

Why did Muzan himself trek all the way into the deep Northern wilderness to find Tanjiro's family, and slaughter every. single. one of them he could find?
    No shit. Because the Sun Breather was an ancestor of Tanjiro's. The earrings were obviously passed down from him. The techniques were passed down.

But Tanjiro's father is NOT that guy. Whatever techniques he showed Tanjiro are obviously incomplete. Possibly lost to time. Which is why they manifest as Fire Breathing, and not Sun Breathing.

Like, everyone that's seen his moves has called them Fire Breathing. And we've seen one old book that suggests that his family USED to do Sun Breathing. I don't understand this leap that that means he must already be doing Sun Breathing.

It's called Dance of the Fire God, not Dance of the Sun God.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Fri, 01-07-2022 at 04:40 PM.

What makes you think they're incomplete?

Tanjiro is shit at it, but that doesn't mean the techniques are incomplete.

I don't think you should expect one to kick demon once you know Sun Breathing, let alone practicing it by remembering your dad's moves as a kid.

Trainers of different styles send their kids to the exam, some die, some become mediocre and a few become Hashira. Tanjiro sucking at Sun doesn't make it inherently incomplete or bastardized.

Actually, the fact that it's been passed down as a slow dance but when executed in combat becomes a real move (after recognising its true nature as a combat art) suggests that it is the real thing.

Pass it down as a dance. Those who can make it work, will. As opposed to passing it down as a combat art, and those who can't make it work forget or tweak it into something else to maintain proficiency.
    Last edited by Buffalobiian; Sat, 01-08-2022 at 04:41 AM.

Question: Is the implication that breathing styles are hereditary, dna-based? Or is it something that takes a lot of time to learn and therefore is part of these various clans/families who teach their children from young age?

Just trying to figure out if everyone *could* learn any style or not.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Question: Is the implication that breathing styles are hereditary, dna-based? Or is it something that takes a lot of time to learn and therefore is part of these various clans/families who teach their children from young age?

Just trying to figure out if everyone *could* learn any style or not.
    Passing of technique seems to be culture. Water teacher didn't have any genetic ties that we know of and taught whoever seemed appropriate.

This is from a time when martial arts training required that you start with basic stances for months etc before you can advance to new moves. Remember when Tanjiro had to spend the night running through the mountain full of traps, or when Zenitsu's teacher beat the shit out of him during training?

You didn't have people taking weekend Water training classes for fun, so it required dedicated members, and teachers probably didn't bother unless you were clan/family/introduced. That's the kind of time this was set in.

That said, like all physical skills, one could try to learn any of them, but your affinity may vary. Like if you're short, jumping kicks from Taeskwondo might really help you out, but if you're 6 foot two, your 4 meter jump kicks are kind of wasted. Just focus on a good jab with your genetically massive range. That sort of thing.