Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: One Piece

Goddamn, I just want Luffy to eat all the red bean soup so Tama's squeals can stop piercing my ears.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

"UMEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Ok, so theses last two 'aren't we evil?' episodes at Kaido's party were pretty weird for me.

Wasn't Luffy's trademark accidentally saving countries while doing what he wants a a pirate? He missed Nami's backstory at Arlong Park and the trend continued from there where he didn't give two enthusiastic sociopolitical farts about why he's fighting anyone he had a beef with. Arabasta. Skypea. Water 7. Dresrosa. Not in one of those cases did he have some special affinity for the undermined or corrupt local government; the big bad just rubbed him the wrong way somehow or other or hurt one of his friends- not so here. It was weird to see him chastise Kidd with "Don't you know the land of Wano's future depends on this battle"? What? Wherefrom, in the deepest, darkest recesses of his documented autism, did he pull that little nugget from? Everywhere you've been that has been the case and you were unaware and uncaring (pirate life; I fight who I want), so why is this country's politics so important? I get Tama's hardships getting his goat, and that really should have been the long and short of his motivation to beat Kaido...

It felt like a misstep, but the battle goes on.

I don't think he understands the sociopolitical anything of Wano either. All he knows is his friends Kinemon and Momonosuke want their country back.

Nah, Luffy already gave the "I'm your nakama" speech to Momonosuke. He didn't even care about the honorifics or Momonosuke's duty as the heir of Wano. He already promised he'd help them with their mission just for the sake of their friendship alone. IIRC, Luffy initially rejected Momo's formal request when he asked back on Zou.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Yeah; he's doing it for friendship. What rubbed me wrong was mentioning the fate of the land of Wano instead of the suffering of his nakama as if that were his ultimate motivation, which I sorta doubt. I'm actually surprised the concept of this country is even solidly enough in his head to be upset on its behalf (how many times has Luffy, throughout the series, used reductive monikers to reference people and places, but Wano is special enough to have its name remembered?) It just felt out of character to have captain Monkey get mad at pirates for pirating a country instead of serviceable reasons like Tama and Momonosuke. I mean, it is for them, and we got the flashbacks to prove it, but that one line stuck out like a sore thumb. It felt like Kidd was acting more like Luffy than Luffy so far. I guess I'm splitting hairs, then.

Oh no- I get that supernovas are strong and all, but for Luffy to get straight out coldclocked and needed to be saved from Scratchman feels like some grade-c padding. I'm glad Kidd gave him the old one-hitter-quitter to cap off that eye-rolling scene.

I also enjoyed that both Luffy and Zoro agreed that blowing their cover couldn't be helped if the disrespect of red bean soup was involved.

Does Queen know Drake is a narc?

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    I get that supernovas are strong and all, but for Luffy to get straight out coldclocked and needed to be saved from Scratchman feels like some grade-c padding.
    I looked it up and it totally happens in the manga too.

I feel like Armament Haki would stop those attacks, but since they can't see them, and they can't do full body hardening yet, they're getting though.

All the supernovas put up a decent fight. Hawkins had Luffy and Zoro on the run earlier in the arc, too.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

I feel like we've met Kaido's kid before. Have we?

I can't really tell yet, but they aren't familiar.

I can't tell if Yamato is supposed to be a woman in disguise, or if he's another trans character like Kiku...

---

Lady in disguise it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post

---

Lady in disguise it is.
    Kaido may be a ruthless killer and pirate, and may lock his child in a cell, but it's 2021, so he's gonna respect his son's gender identity, damnit.
    10/4/04 - 8/20/07

Lol. Kaido has big Kor energy?

BeLikeKor.jpg

Lol. What's in the log book? That's a flashback I wanna see!

Lol. What's in the log book? That's a flashback I wanna see!
    We...already did. It's all the stuff in the Oden flashback we just saw, like, 20 episodes ago.

...then what's the point of Yamato telling us about it (or it even still existing) unless there were a few important details saved for revelations later? Does Luffy need to know about Odin's diary to want to beat Kaido? Yamato was convinced by the boiling oil stunt to want to be Odin, so it wasn't an inspiration, leaving me to assume it still has more information glossed over or omitted from the flashback.

...then what's the point of Yamato telling us about it (or it even still existing) unless there were a few important details saved for revelations later?
    Well, for one thing, WE know about Oden's journey, but the Strawhat's don't. The journal gives the Strawhats a way to learn what the audience knows.

Also...it probably tells where the last Red Ponyglyph is.

Just one scene with Big Mom was enough for me to get hyped again, not to mention Kaido's little info dump on the ancient weapons. I forgot about those. Save me a trip to the spoiler filled wiki- how many have been confirmed so far in the story?

Save me a trip to the spoiler filled wiki- how many have been confirmed so far in the story?
    They've expressly said that there's 3.

Poseidon is Shirahoshi's ability to command Sea Kings.

Pluton is...some kinda ship, probably? All we know is it was built in Water 7.

We have no idea what Uranus is.