Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kanata no Astra

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Wormhole tech and the ship being there were better coincidences than finding Polina's ship for sure.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

"Someome" did predict that it's a matter of time ;p

Episode 11

-- - - - -

There it is, pretty much all of the personal conspiracy, that is, the clone murder plot.

Kanata should have made sure his cut off hand was left with only the middle finger up, though.

We know more about Charce and Aries, but it's not like we cared and/or it was that much more useful to the story. At this point in time it felt fillerish. Charce's lie story was pretty enough and close to the truth and would be a basis for Aries' story.
    All in all, the most important part is that Aries' head contraption is purely decorative, which we knew from another flashback. I prefered my sci-fi "roman" way of interpreting them

Kanata's original will rejoice, Kanata can aim for paralympics now. And with their body/training basis can aim for worldclass events!

Background flower had a line !

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    We know more about Charce and Aries, but it's not like we cared and/or it was that much more useful to the story. At this point in time it felt fillerish. Charce's lie story was pretty enough and close to the truth and would be a basis for Aries' story.
    It's not exceptionally easy to come up with a plausible explanation for an intelligent person with no obvious insanity problems willing to kill a whole bunch of innocent people plus themselves. Sure, in RL we have no end of suicide bombers and such, but those aren't exactly what I'd call intelligent people, quite the contrary. Having been brainwashed since the birth was a passable explanation.

Kanata will get a cool robotic arm, no worries 💁

Didn't like the flashback. Because flashbacks always suck.

One dumb detail, however: So a law comes and says 'cloning is illegal' ... and THAT is enough to make a king quit his dreams of immortality?! Not believable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Kanata will get a cool robotic arm, no worries ��

Didn't like the flashback. Because flashbacks always suck.

One dumb detail, however: So a law comes and says 'cloning is illegal' ... and THAT is enough to make a king quit his dreams of immortality?! Not believable at all.
    Cloning humans has been illegal already in our time in most countries. The law was about the genetic screening of all humans. So, it would have inevitably revealed any clones around. Simply cloning being illegal didn't stop them because they believed they could keep the crime hidden. When it turned out highly unlikely in the long run due to the screening law, since most of the clones were living rather normal, public lives, they needed to make the clones disappear without leaving corpses behind, yet with a very plausible story/circumstances to explain the disappearance so that no criminal investigation would be launched. After all, there would still likely be tissue samples around here and there if the cops started to look for them.

I get that, but:

Some anti-cloning law ............. vs ............ IMMORTALITY

🤷*♀️

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    I get that, but:

Some anti-cloning law ............. vs ............ IMMORTALITY

��*♀️
    Their current scheme made it impossible. Who knows, maybe they'd like to try again with a different plan in the future. As it is, forget about immortality, they would be sent behind bars, wasting even more of their remaining life.

Episode 12 Final

- -- - - - --

The anime was pleasantly similar to the manga, but there were tiny differences here and there, such as censoring this ultimate truth:

It's pretty funny he needed to buy back the ship, although it's actually even stranger he could buy it back. Imagine trying to buy a unique historical artifact from a museum. There's no way that would happen unless the museum was located in some godforsaken dictatorship. You'd think the government would have sold him some semi-modern, used but fully functional ship for a reasonable price instead, considering who he is. But I guess this was a symbolic thing needed for the conclusion of the story.

The whole history rewriting sounds impossible to pull off, but surprisingly it could actually happen. The whole affair happened after a war that killed half of the population, so all the survivors would have been sufficiently PTSDed to go along with it. Those who didn't, well, maybe they were left behind to welcome the asteroid or hunted down afterwards.

This is a jolly good series, all in all. A solid story with a good mystery that ties the beginning to the end.

It's nice we had a closing part to the story.
    Regarding the time shift, I remember we evoked a time paradox several time with Polina's arc.
    In my mind I had the ship's state that felt older that only 12 years. But somehow finding nametags in a very good shape convinced me it was plausible... when in fact now I think finding those nametags 112 years later is bullshit, even more in a such a pristine shape. Same goes for the vehicule.

And the hibernation pod only had starte date:2051 and body states : low/cold/freezing and can be reanimated (I think)
    A bit strange there's no duration, but it's necessary for the plot.

A nice show, nice story. Some animation quality drops, but quite a few. I don't think there's a high "rewatchability" index as a large part of the show is finding answers.
    At least one/two shows per season with at least that quality overall would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    I don't think there's a high "rewatchability" index as a large part of the show is finding answers.
    Yeah, I could watch this anime despite having read the manga just to see it animated and hear it voiced, but that's about it. It's pretty hard to imagine rewatching this as the weight is indeed on the mystery. As space adventure this was kind of mediocre, especially with the silly details. Action usually makes for better rewatch value, but more or less none of that is present in this title.

Finally got to watch it. I have nothing to add so I just want to say: It's great how this anime spends an extra episode to wrap up everything. It's so frustrating how 99.9% of all shows go for the dramatic finale and then, bamm, credits running. Astra really ended in a way that left little/nothing to be desired.

Wish more anime ended like that.