Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga

Vinland Saga

Thorfinn is son to one of the Viking's greatest warriors, but when his father is killed in battle by the mercenary leader Askeladd, he swears his intent to have revenge. Thorfinn joins Askeladd's group in order to challenge him to a duel, and ends up caught in the middle of a war for the crown of England.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/enc...e.php?id=20778

Vinland Saga is my most anticipated series this season, based on a manga from the same mangaka of Planetes. Looks like it's well animated, so have high expectations for it.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    I heard that the first three episodes might be dropping at once, so that would make for a tantalizing premiere.

Like Berzerk, this series undergoes a transformation after its first major arc, so parallels could be drawn there if you were looking for them. I wonder how far this adaptation will go?

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post
    I heard that the first three episodes might be dropping at once, so that would make for a tantalizing premiere.

Like Berzerk, this series undergoes a transformation after its first major arc, so parallels could be drawn there if you were looking for them. I wonder how far this adaptation will go?
    It's 24 episodes. I don't recall how long the first major arc (not sure if this was the first all told, but we know what you mean) was in the manga, but assuming there's enough content (and I think there is), I hope the whole 24 episodes is the first arc and leave it at that. That leaves it at a very good stopping point, and from there decide if they want to do a sequel for the rest or just leave it there.

I just don't know if there's any other good stopping point. If they go beyond the first major arc, I think everything will be rushed and suffer for it.

And yeah, I've heard the same, that it's dropping 3 episodes today, so hopefully it's true. And I'm also reading that Amazon Prime may be simulcasting, or is it only in JP?

Yep, first 3 episodes are indeed out:

https://www.amazon.com/Somewhere-not...dp/B07TVV16BV/

Wow Amazon.com, I feel like this is so legit.
    Thanks Munsu!
    "Leaving hell is not the same as entering it." - Tierce Japhrimel

Episode 1-3:

I like it. Episode especially flew by in no time.

One point of criticism: I hated the very first scene when Thors killed 1,5 boats' cews with no effort at all. I know that 95% of all actiin-anime do this, but after the many Berserk-comparisons I expected more grounded, realistic action.

Btw we all agree that Thors is a walking death flag, right? All I see when I look at him is Mufasa 🙈

And Ari will die, too. Which sucks, because I like him ;/

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Episode 1-3:

I like it. Episode especially flew by in no time.

One point of criticism: I hated the very first scene when Thors killed 1,5 boats' cews with no effort at all. I know that 95% of all actiin-anime do this, but after the many Berserk-comparisons I expected more grounded, realistic action.

Btw we all agree that Thors is a walking death flag, right? All I see when I look at him is Mufasa ��

And Ari will die, too. Which sucks, because I like him ;/
    Berserk with grounded, realistic action? Hmm...

And who here compared it with Berserk anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Berserk with grounded, realistic action? Hmm...

And who here compared it with Berserk anyways?
    Stop saying 'here', there's anime talk elsewhere and EVERYONE was comparing this to Berserk.

Stop saying 'here', there's anime talk elsewhere and EVERYONE was comparing this to Berserk.
    Well, it's being discussed 'here', can't tell where you're coming from if you don't clarify who "EVERYONE" is as the only mention on Berserk 'here' didn't have to do with anything but structure.

Regardless, the points stands of a Berserk comparison leading you to believe that the action should be grounded and realistic.

I don't see how this would be any less realistic than Stallone single-handedly defeating a whole company of enemies in any of his numerous action movies. That's just how you make a tough hero character.

This seems to be going pretty decently. Production values aren't terrible at all. The English scanlation is obviously fully English, so it's interesting to listen to the dialogue, which has all the Japanese expressions and such, which got lost in the translation. A bit like watching the Japanese Skyrim gameplay, I guess.

19 days until episode 4, wtf. Why release 3 episodes at once then? These fuckers ...

And Jojo and Kidou Senshi Gundam also 19 days ...

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    It sucks that a saint like Thor is so gonna die.

And now the kid won't know what his dad wanted to say to him. He'll have to get back to his mother for that.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Doesn't change the fact that Guts is literally known as the guy who fought and killed 100 men.

So... what's that thing about being "more grounded" and "realistic" about?

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that Guts is literally known as the guy who fought and killed 100 men.

So... what's that thing about being "more grounded" and "realistic" about?
    Didn't know there were Berserks in Vinland Saga 🙄

What are you even talking about.

It's not even funny anymore, you should know that berserkers are skandinavian... but that's not the point.

You aren't making any sense. You said you thought Vinland Saga's action would be similar and more "grounded" and "realistic" just like Berserk. Berserk isn't any of that, not even close.

Well, I'll go ahead and consider your last post as a way of saying "Damn, you guys are right, I'm a big doofus - I was talking out of my arse there." and will ignore your flimsy attempt to somehow justify that nonsense with even more nonsense

- No problem.

Anyways, I really enjoyed this show so far. Sure thing, this show could've had more realistic fights but overall it's not ridicilous over the top either.
    I do love their clothing and rather realistic approach of that.
    The common folk is clothed in rather diverse armor and weaponry, that is very cool, just like it should be. On top of that, the characters are all memorable so far and hardly any "look-alikes" too.
    What a blast to look at, it seems anime doesn't need blue and pink hair to distinguish the main characters from the rest.

I really hope that the kid MC will grow up to be a decent bloke and not be dumb as a rock and follow his fathers legacy in some way... and I sure hope to see more of that some sweet sweet viking armor along the way.

The OP gave away what will happen to the kid though and those enemies in front of them right now though and it already saddens me that it looks like he's going to be some kind of nordic-ninja. Silly.

If this show is good enough, I'll probably end up buying TW: Thrones of Britannia on a whim at some point.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Wed, 07-10-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I'm wondering how a battle deserter managed to take his royal wife and kid with him. That last part kinda makes things hard.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

My guess is she 'dissapeared' one night. That is what probably tipped off Floki.

Ladies and gentlemen... I present to you... Askeladd. Possibly my favorite singular manga character of all time. I don't really like his voice, but I'm hoping to get used to it. It actually makes him seem more unassuming than he really is, but that also plays into his character; someone who wants to be perceived as 'weak'.

Episode 4

----------------------

man, the combat with swords in this show is so much better than the one handed ninja-katana stuff you usally see.

Quality wise, this short duel on the boat reminded me of Sword of the Stranger

It was animated well. I actually forgot the fight went on after Askeladd's first sneak attack; beceause he already recognized he was out of his league I thought.

"I cant surrender in front of my men" won him the fight. lol

The fight against Askeladd was good.

But this anime has a big problem with proper 'power levels'. Even Guts had trouble in this 'fight against 100'. Thor just defeated 28 guys with just his fists, without breaking a sweat, and, hell, withlut even looking. It felt like I was watching 'Dragon Ball: Vikings' for the first half of the episode. Defeaing 28 guys can be okay, but at least present it *a bit* more believable. I thought about recommending this show to my brother who rarely watches anime these days, but when he sees that fighting scene, he'll laugh, say 'that's why I've grown out of anime' and quit it. And I couldn't blame him.

Btw: Someine really needs to check ships before sailing off, lol