Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinland Saga

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    'that's why I've grown out of anime' and quit it. And I couldn't blame him.
    My favorite argument for this is always:

"uhum, yet you watch "The Matrix" or, Bruce Willis movies such as "Last man Standing" and all that.
    Or movies such as Troy etc." or any of the comic-hero movies these days.

Not that I wouldn't love to see more of a struggle like during the duel but in terms of powerlevel, it should be seen as "professional boxer vs some random street thugs".

I don't like the "powerjumps" though

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    My favorite argument for this is always:

"uhum, yet you watch "The Matrix" or, Bruce Willis movies such as "Last man Standing" and all that.
    Or movies such as Troy etc." or any of the comic-hero movies these days.

Not that I wouldn't love to see more of a struggle like during the duel but in terms of powerlevel, it should be seen as "professional boxer vs some random street thugs".

I don't like the "powerjumps" though
    I mean, Vinland Saga gave me the impression that it tries to depict a more grounded vikings life. Not sure why you'd compare it to action-flicks. When I'm watching Dragonball, ridiculous shit is ok. When I'm watching Monster, it's not.

If I took Hollywood movies to compare VS's general atmosphere to, I'd choose movies like The Patriot or Braveheart - stories where the hero killed countless foot soldiers, but had to work for it.Unfortunately, not the case in this anime.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I was slightly annoyed at the medical portrayal in Monster, as if medical miracles and performances are entirely controllable and dependant on a doctor's skill. That's not true.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Isn't creating animation tightly tethered to physical realism as an inalienable rule at least to some degree kind of defeating the point of animation?

Enjoy what you watch because you like it. Don't try to watch anime in spite of it being anime; just watch something that suits your current tastes better. If someone feels like anime is for a younger crowd, it isn't worth the effort to 'change their mind' when there is so much media vying for our attention. Production of television and movies could stop dead right now and we'd all have a lifetime of media we haven't consumed yet; no reason to force a single show on someone.

//rant

You could argue that an elite Jomsviking could hold his own against a few disorganized pirates on tiny ships that reduce their number's effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by neflight86 View Post

You could argue that an elite Jomsviking could hold his own against a few disorganized pirates on tiny ships that reduce their number's effectiveness.
    And I said that. But even an elite fighter will have to show some effort and not be literal Son Goku. 💁

Episode 6

--------------------------

This has become rather grim. Thorfinn is becoming a monster just so he can fight a "fair duel". What is a duel like that worth when you betrayed everything else just to achieve that.

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    Askeladd is history's finest middle manager. Not too concerned with the underlings, but he looks out for them when his department's well being is at stake.

Nice twist on the 'nursed an enemy who became our savior' (he was no savior) story so common in anime.

Episode 7:

Berserk-level bad animation and Naruto-running almost made me quit not even 2 minutes in ��

And even though Im repeating myself: The way "important" characters are overpowered ruins any feeling of danger. As it was presented, Thorfinn could have killed all enemies by himself :/ I dont understand why the mangaka thought this to be bettter than depicting the cruel, gruesome, scary reality of fighting to the death. The hero would win either way, but id be so much more satisfying to see a hero having to put in some real effort rather than slashing away opponemts like its a Musou-game.

Ah, sigh. Ill probably get shit on for that opinion again, but I cant help but feel somewhat disappointes.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

I didn't mind it much. In real life opponent skill can easily be outmatched by increasing your numbers, but that doesn't stop Jackie Chan's movies from being entertaining.

I get your whole "make it harder for the MC" thing, but if it meant this scene was going to be dragged out then I'll take what we got. Take me to their dual already.

Oh man!

That episode was awesome.
    Can't say I'm a fan of him killing people left and right like that (the first one losing his fingers was good, they should have let him kick the others off the walls etc.) but the whole battle was fun to look at.
    I like how the battles are being pictured in this show.
    The armor, the weapons, the shields. It fits so well.
    I also like how the Vikings look so unique and that they go all the way to show that in every scene. They aren't in uniform, each and everyone wears whatever he owns.

Episode 08

-----------------------------------

Thorfin man... I thought you were better than that. Ah well.

Bjorn's comment didn't make sense to me this episode. Thorfin jumped backwards to soften the blow from Boss fellow. That didn't seem to have anything to do with daggers being good super close.

I'm glad that Thorfin is still far to inexperienced for this thing.

The portrayal of war and looting in this show is amazing. I just love it. I believe it captures the viking-stereotype extremely well.

Watched all of this today. Pretty slow at first but enjoying it now.

Every time Thorfinn says, "My dad only lost cause you took me hostage!", I want someone to go, "So if you hadn't been there, he wouldn't have died."

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Berserk-level bad animation
    Fuck you. Berserk wishes it was getting this treatment.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Thu, 08-29-2019 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DEX
    "My dad only lost cause you took me hostage!", I want someone to go, "So if you hadn't been there, he wouldn't have died."
    I wonder how many from that boat aside from Leif realised that Thors expected himself to die in battle ever since he left Vinland (or at the very least, expected to serve in military without ever being able to return to his peaceful Vinland life again, which was why giving his life to Askeladd at that point wasn't such a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

This is especially the case if you think that Floki would be backstabbing him at every opportunity during the war as well.

Episode 10

------------------------------------------------------

I just love this show.

Episode 11:

Seriously?! THAT is supposed to be a shocking twist? Lol

Hmmm? What are you trying to say.

I'm actually glad that they remembered to animate the 2 missing fingers throughout this episode.

I'm saying that it was obvious that the 'prince' actually was a girl

Is he? I thought they were just commenting on how bishi he is.

I thought so. Oh well. (i don't know the manga, so no spoilers here)