Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Honzuki no Gekokujou

Really enjoyed this season as well, surprised I endured it given the subject matter and the lack of "action", but how awesome was she at the end?

Yeah, this is quite different from the majority of isekai stock. No OP MC and little action/adventure. Not totally unique as there are all sorts of isekai these days. The traditional setting of the MC needing to struggle worked well. I'm happy this anime adaptation wasn't terrible. You never know these days.

Episode 16

- -- -- --

What sort of street rat was Gil before becoming a gray robe? You'd think he at least didn't grow up as a servant of the main temple and develop a personality like that. He should be transferred into the army or navy, where they would beat the attitude out of him. He could work as a kitchen monkey or something, until old enough to become a soldier/sailor.

It's an interesting thing about the manners and speech. In the past the aristocracy developed their own way of behaving and conducting their business partially to set themselves apart from the commoners.

Yes, I find it irritating, too, how openly rude he is towards Main. You'd think he'd be scared of punishment from other blue robes or masters.

Well, for now we'll get 2 more episodes of Main winning over her other 2 servants. Best scene was when she stared at them angrily with her crazy magic eyes

I hope this season makes some real progress, though. Honestly, this series could make good use of a time skip sooner rather than later. Lutz becoming a full fledged trader, Main becoming a respected priestess, and then showing some romance between her and Lutz, and also hearing new rumors of a way to heal the sickness.

So much potential. I love this anime

Yeah, I kept all the time expecting some kind of more dramatic development or time skip. Never appeared. Main is still as weak as ever, even if she doesn't need to fear for her life anymore, being able to donate mana regularly. I guess it makes sense, after all, since they couldn't have had a time skip without Main first having a way of surviving. Now, however, they could have one at any time since there's basically nothing preventing her from living a long life. It would be good if she got a bit older as right now being a tiny brat affects her position/authority automatically. Will the scope get larger if there's a time skip? Who knows?

Episode 17

-- - - - -

Hmm... While now the anime has already sped past the manga, I can still wonder at the scene of Main & Lutz arriving at the temple and how Gil was admonished. It was inferior here in the anime, compared to the manga. I wonder which was is closer to the novel source. If it's this anime, it's no wonder the manga did it differently.

Nevertheless, all in all (especially if I ignore some details in the anime in favour of the manga), Gil's redemption wasn't that bad. At the end of the day, the kid never had anyone who needed him or appreciated anything he did, and then he lost even the little he did have (food, of all things) when he was ordered to serve Main. While it doesn't excuse his rotten behavior earlier, it does explain why he became such, keeping in mind the highest leader around is the utterly corrupt fool, which undoubtedly affects how everything is handled in the place. I'd say Gil's reform wasn't out of place, as soon as he understood that if he does his best, it will actually matter, and it will give him the greatest reward, that is, good food, plus some appreciation. He wasn't actually evil, wasn't ordered by anyone to make things difficult for Main, or anything like that, so it's okay he changed so fast. It seems obvious he didn't work properly in the past (before Main) because he viewed all tasks as punishments and it didn't seem to matter whether he works or not.

Delia is a bit different, though. Maybe she did have a previous experience of abandonment, who knows, but I feel like she turned a new page a bit too easily. But then again, she's an idiot, so what looks like inconsistency in the plot, may actually be valid. There's still the distinct danger that one word the temple head, and she will again do something unnecessary. Because she's too stupid to even recognise her own benefit.

Ngl, I cried a bit when Gil realized that Main was being honestly well-meaning towards him, and him clearly showing that this is the first time in his life that someone showed positive feelings for him. Made me want to hug that little, brave guy.

It really goes to show that while this anime looks like a children's show, it's deeply rooted in a very cruel world that has a very tight framework within that people get to live their life.

I don't expect this anime to progress that long, but I'd hope that Main eventually works her way up and helps fundamentally change this world's society for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    I don't expect this anime to progress that long, but I'd hope that Main eventually works her way up and helps fundamentally change this world's society for the better.
    She's already making the place a whole lot better by introducing pizza and lasagne. And paper, but who cares; paper doesn't taste good.

Yeah, but how about introducing human rights? 🤷*🤷*🤷*

I missed this was starting, time to catch up.
    Last edited by Munsu; Wed, 04-22-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Yeah, but how about introducing human rights? ��*��*��*
    If she really wants to change things that way, she needs to give them the printing press. Together with the cheap paper, it would cause the world to change dramatically over time, just like it did in our world. Not that she would live to see it, as it would still take more than a single person's lifetime, but a huge change extremely fast might be too much to expect anyway.

Episode 18:

Omg, this anime made me cry a little again when those poor orphans at the end understood that someone who cares about them appeared.

But i also have to say, Main was awfully reluctant to help them in the beginning. I know It's usually the 'stupid hero does things without thinking' thing to do, but here i found it actually unrealistic how reluctant she was. Someone from the real world should instantly want to help and insist on it. I can't see myself being all 'oh well, i can't do anything, let them die'. To insist on help in this case isn't really heroic, It's normal imo.

Things worked out in the end, but not without Main being given several pushes.

Episode 18:

Omg, this anime made me cry a little again when those poor orphans at the end understood that someone who cares about them appeared.

But i also have to say, Main was awfully reluctant to help them in the beginning. I know It's usually the 'stupid hero does things without thinking' thing to do, but here i found it actually unrealistic how reluctant she was. Someone from the real world should instantly want to help and insist on it. I can't see myself being all 'oh well, i can't do anything, let them die'. To insist on help in this case isn't really heroic, It's normal imo.

Things worked out in the end, but not without Main being given several pushes.
    I disagree, at least in being reluctant to help, etc. My main problem with her was that she didn't show empathy at all, that's the issue here, the rest follows.

But reluctancy to help I can't say it is a given that someone would do it, but the lack of empathy to me was the biggest thing that seemed uncharacteristic of her.

Yes, we know she has a twisted set of priorities, but till now she at least has shown to be someone who cares about others. At least I thought so. Now we have her rationalizing it all as as a means of having her own sweatshop.

You have forgotten that she has been living in that world for a while already and has also suffered and almost died a number of times. She has lived in the paucity of the commonors in a class society and gotten used to it. I reckon it might have served this series well to have her witness a death of someone she knew, but I guess that would have hurt the fluff too much. All in all, nevertheless, she didn't like seeing kids starve to death, but it wasn't as big a shock for her anymore as it would have been if she had just got isekaied yesterday. She already recognises it as a part of that world, even if she doesn't like it and wants to change it. This is also reflected by her way of talking about it, such as saying he wants to change it to have a peace of mind for reading. When your life is hard, you cut the crap, essentially. When she says those who don't work, they don't eat, she really means it.

If I was disappointed by something in this ep, it's how childish Main is. Wasn't she an adult when she died? She sometimes acts her apparent age far too well.

There's an argument to be made that your appearance affects your mind, too.

Watched all of this over the last two days. Surprisingly entertaining.

---

I think it's hilarious that she's basically running a sweatshop, and that's considered to be a huge improvement.

Tau fruits being able to remove mana is maybe the most important finding from this episode. It was kinda mentioned quickly only, but as Benno said, it could have massive ramifications.

Yeah, like, why did NOBODY care that when she picked up a normal fruit, it turned into a goddamn monster seed?

That seems pretty fucking important.

Also...WHY THE FUCK IS SHE STILL SICKLY? If she's having her mana drained now, why is the Devouring still regularly taking her out?

Maybe she's got leukemia on top of the devouring - some real drama 🙈