Thread: Upcoming Anime Season: Winter 2019/2020

Upcoming Anime Season: Winter 2019/2020

I just went through AniChart and ... wow, that's looking like a really bad season :/ Not a single big must-see. My favorite so far is Isekai Quartet season 2 ...

Maybe you guys know better - what are you gonna watch?

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Haikyuu.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

https://randomc.net/2019/12/22/winter-2020-preview/

This season still looks really really bad, but thanks to RandomC's previews, I've found at least a few more series worth at least giving the 3 episode test.

Nekopara - Cuz it's stupid and I haven't played any of the games.
    Runway de Waratte - This actually runs in a shonen magazine (same one Hajime no Ippo and Seven Deadly Sins run in actually) and the art looks good. Getting bakuman/ParaKiss vibes from this, so I'm down.
    Oda Shinamon Nobunaga - Historical figures reincarnated into normal dogs. It could be really funny, or really bad. Certainly worth a few episodes to try.
    Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu - "Since pain is disagreeable to me, I think I'll put all my points in defense" - The preview doesn't look terrible, and as far as I can tell, they don't get stuck in the VR world. After Shield Hero overstayed its welcome, this might be at least entertaining because I have a soft-spot for tanks in RPG-type series (not actually playing them though, tanking is boring as shit, edit: well, I did play offensive tanks in Dragon Age Origins and Inquisition).
    Darwin`s Game - It has yandere(s), and since Granbelm was actually a mid-season surprise for me that I really enjoyed, and this is the same studio, it's worth giving a shot. I've seen some people compare it to BTOOOM, which I did enjoy. Sounds like one of those edgy death-game series that I won't have to take super seriously which will better let me gloss over the dumb shit.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Thu, 12-26-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Wasn't that Healer isekai supposed to air, too? Did it get cancelled from preemptive outrage? :/

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    Looks like Drifting Dragons is japan's romatic view on whaling.
    Probably not going to watch anything.

Maybe ID:Invaded and the doggo show.

Too bad that I binge watched The Witcher. Could have had something to watch every week until the next season.
    I guess I'm just going to settle for some multi-season shows I haven't watched yet.

Edit: At least the Spring Season looks great
    3 shows I'm definetely going to watch till the end, and 2-3 maybes.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; Thu, 12-26-2019 at 05:27 PM.

I don't recall if I read Dorohedoro (probably not), but at the very least it was a manga I had my eye on for at least 15 years ago. So that one will get a look for sure. I think this is the series I want to watch the most.

Will continue watching Haikyuu(though I'm not sure where I left off)

I read the light novel for Inifinite Dendrogram and really like it, hope it turns out good. Trailer isn't inspiring confidence though.

The remake for Sorcerous Stabber Orphen I'll probably watch.

Since I stopped watching Index, or at least not up to date, I doubt that I'll watch Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, even though of all he series set in that world, that's the one I like the most.

Pet will also get a look, but it seems a bit pretentious.

Plunderer, not sure. Seems like something I can easily get into without thinking much on it, though I have no expectations for it.

Darwin's Game seems right up my alley.

Don't know much about the rest.

I did some more research.

Kyokou Suiri aka In/Spectre is originally a novel from Shirodaira Kyou...who also wrote Zetsuen no Tempest, which I enjoyed a lot (and should probably rewatch). So that's definitely at least getting a look at.

Darwin's Game episode 1:

Yeah, I think I'm out. Started okay-ish, but ended in super bullshit. Naked girl outta nowhere because ANIME :/
    Also he doesn't want to kill a GIRL. And then right after the game ends, they act friendly towards each, as if it hadn't just been a battle to the death. Siiiiiiigh

I'm sure some here will attack me because they, for Whatever reason, like this shit, but fuck it, it's cheap trash.

Oh no. It is hot garbage, but I'm actually cool with it. Here was my hot take:

<@Ryllharu> bwahaha
    <@Ryllharu> Darwin's Game is pretty fun, when you don't take it serious at all
    <@Ryllharu> i.e. MC worries about his phone's ringtone/alarm being heard, when he's been yelling to his friend about how crazy this situation is for a full minute right before at full volume
    <@Ryllharu> Shit like that is so inconsistent you can't take it serious, and then it's actually prettty decent
    <@Ryllharu> The sound design is really good too.
    <@Ryllharu> Granbelm's was too, which is why I checked it out at all.
    <@Ryllharu> Nexus is a good company [studio]
    <@Ryllharu> It's so overdramatic that it's funny as hell
    This was pretty much what I had read we should expect, so I went in prepared to laugh at how stupid the story and characters are.

But I can appreciate the animation, sound design, and score, because Nexus excels at that stuff. Can't blame the bad story and dumbass characters on them.

Dropping ID: Invaded, too. That was just the wrong mix of confusing, boring and dumb. And the elementary school girl working for the police (yeah, she's probably supposed to be older &#128580 was the dumbest.

Plunderer Episode 1:

Makes no sense. Anuone with a higher number gets to order around lower numbers? That'd be hell on earth.

Maybe I'll watch it for the ecchi if I'm really bored.

I tried Nekopara. There's two "jokes" about two of the catgirls pissing themselves in the first 10 minutes. Not in the same scene, two separate scenes. This is the most Type-B series I've seen in a really long time. Niche appeal of already niche appeal.

Dropped shortly after the halfway point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    I tried Nekopara. There's two "jokes" about two of the catgirls pissing themselves in the first 10 minutes. Not in the same scene, two separate scenes. This is the most Type-B series I've seen in a really long time. Niche appeal of already niche appeal.

Dropped shortly after the halfway point.
    The VNs had their own charm, but I doubt I'll watch the anime beyond the first episode. It just seems utterly pointless.

Dropping Infinite Dendrogramm for now. It's just super generic + nonsensical stuff. I told me self to stop watching every isekai shit, so that's what i'll do now.

Almost done rewatching Welcome to the Ballroom. Gotta say this isn't very exciting watching a 2nd time. I watched 16 episodes since last night, lots skimming the boring parts. I'd still watch q new seadon though.

Is there anything rumored? Is the manga good?

Awesome user with default custom title KrayZ33's Avatar
    I remember that the manga had a very long pause and has had several pauses overall because the author gets ill very often (or can't meet the deadlines or whatever)
    In fact, the anime was ahead of the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Dropping Infinite Dendrogramm for now. It's just super generic + nonsensical stuff. I told me self to stop watching every isekai shit, so that's what i'll do now.
    Yeah it sucks ass. Not as bad as Arifureta, but it's super cliche and the hero just keeps getting new powers mid-fight.