Thread: 2020 New Years Resolutions

Thumbs up 2020 New Years Resolutions

So in what has become somewhat of a tradition I will make the 2020 new year resolutions thread!

I remembered to do 2019, 2018 and 2016 so now we're on a streak! Mine is to hopefully double up the Mortgage payment and pay the house off a bit sooner than forecasted.

So everyone, what are you thinking you'll commit to for 2020~!

Jounin
    Mine is to stay away from sites like Anime News Network where they ban you for questioning why they left out key sentences in court cases (Vic Mignona) or why they tell lies concerning certain animes, the so-called Loli animes and accuse the anime of pushing hatred and physical abuse towards women, despite them being shows meant for entertainment.

Staying away since they banned me from posting facts anyway lol.

Apparently posting facts on the ANN forums is spreading conspiracy as ANN feels protecting the female readers is more important than truths.

last year I wrote
    i'm doing a career change, so in 2019 i should be deep inside a new job.
    also, i want to get back into dating.
    so far, I'm almost seven months in as a software developer, so that's one good thing. this year I want to be good at it.
    I did have two dates the past year (in a span of a month!), I'd like to actually get a third date 2020. not a high goal.
    new stuff? well, be a better person towards my family, be a better friend, do more stuff, meet new people, read more... the usuals, I guess.

@shadow skill, I don't know anything about that topic, but I think you should stay away. you won't be able to change them.

sig made by Itachi-y2k5, thanks, dude!
    Currently Watching: probably a show directed at 9 years old girls, lets be honest.

You know the important distinction between Batman and me? Batman is fictional. In real life, there isn't always an alternative.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Maybe sit exams for training/work purposes, but it's kinda tough because I don't know which ones to do since I'm still deciding between career choices as a doctor. Better work on that one first.

Maybe exercise. I haven't done any serious exercise for close to 6 years now.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Drop in more often. Definitely that.
    Dreaming impossible dreams.
    Sapphire is awesome!

Happy new year!

My resolutions, well. Aside 'not killing myself', I guess losing weight. I'll be in fatty hospital from February again, hope to lose another 20kg there and make some real progress.

As in hospital to lose weight, or hospital to do something else, plus hopefully lose weight?

If the former, then that's quite interesting. We have none of the sort in Australia. If you need a hospital to lose weight here, the treatment is a gastric sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    As in hospital to lose weight, or hospital to do something else, plus hopefully lose weight?

If the former, then that's quite interesting. We have none of the sort in Australia. If you need a hospital to lose weight here, the treatment is a gastric sleeve.
    The former. I don't want surgery. It's what everyone keeps recomending me, but the downsides are too severe for my ideas.

Benevolent Dictator
    Blog Entries
    Your talking about weight has me wanting to talk about my own. Partly encouragement, partly cautionary tale I guess?

I lost about 130 pounds between mid-2015 to the end of 2016. Just a big food overhaul (Mediterranean-inspired, low-ish carb but not keto-level low-carb) and a lot of walking. After the first two weeks of just sort of clicking over into the new behavior pattern, it was like, surprisingly not that hard through 2015-2016 to just do what I was doing and melt through that much weight. I guess because I had that much and more to lose ...

Then I got down out of "morbidly obese" and through "obese" and into "a little overweight" (from 42.5 to 26.5 BMI). It got harder to make progress through 2017 -- pushing a lot harder for longer to get less results (about 10 pounds down from the beginning of the year to the end of it). Then around the end of 2017, work got hectic and uncertain after a big poorly-executed reorganization. I took a road trip to what we all knew was going to be my grandma's last birthday (and I was pretty sure would be the last time I would see her alive). My mom's whole side of the family was struggling, and not just with grandma. Then I tacked on a visit to my dad on the return, and found him also struggling in ways I hadn't expected. Many reasons to be unsettled and upset. Then, a few hundred miles into the 700ish mile last leg of the drive home, I stopped at a rest stop in Kentucky to stretch my legs and sneak in whatever walking I could because just sitting and driving made me ache for movement. I tripped on an uneven sidewalk and wrenched my knee -- not so badly I couldn't walk or drive, but badly enough that I couldn't do the usual walking routine for a couple weeks.

I don't know if I can pin causality on the depression from the trip, the injury, work stress, discouragement over the natural progression of a fitness journey reaching a hard plateau. It's probably a little of all of that. Either way, the wagon I was riding took one path, and I took another.

I drifted back up 25 pounds in 2018 and another 25 in 2019. I'm 50 pounds north of my best adult weight, but still 85 south of my worst. It's really easy to see that if I keep doing what I'm currently doing, I'll be in the "pretty much actively dying of too much food" range in like 2 more years.

I don't really believe in making resolutions. But setting goals and working toward them? That I can do. So this year my goal is to get myself back into something like that 2015-2016 mindset, to rekindle that fire in me that got me out taking 4 mile walks whether it was 18F or 98F out because it felt good, and not eat sugary stuff because it makes me feel bad. In short, do what I've gotta do to live a life closer to the one I want to live. My longer-term goal is to not die of sugar and sloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Comp
    I don't really believe in making resolutions. But setting goals and working toward them? That I can do.
    That I suck at.

The best thing I could do for myself right now is probably do some research and shit so I can get onto the relevant medical training programs that I want (or at least, want to try out).

But.. I'm super comfortable sitting at home listening to music and playing games and not giving a shit :S.