Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    How was that clear?
    Because she was speaking to him, a human, and he was directly responding to what she was saying. Therefor, she is not mute/spouting monster gibberish the way Kumoko does.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    The dragon never spoke.

Quote Originally Posted by DEX
    Because she was speaking to him, a human, and he was directly responding to what she was saying. Therefor, she is not mute/spouting monster gibberish the way Kumoko does.
    Wait what? What is this "kumoko was talking to a human" that we're talking about. I'm missing something here.

edit:
    OOOOOH you're talking about Faye(?) the dragon pet. Yeah. She can talk.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Lol, yes. Was referring to Fay. She can talk. Therefor it is possible for non-humanoid monsters to talk(at least, to their fellow Japanese classmates). Which means either Kumoko can talk to her classmates. Or she needs to obtain some Skill in order to talk.

What do you want to bet that Araba is one of Faye's parents?

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    On the other hand, however: When she blushed while Araba was devouring the snake, I really felt like she has lost her humanity. I will add, before someone accusses me of something again, that I'm fine with Kumoko turning into an evil overlord. But it needs to be acknowledged. Whether she is full-on evil by now I can't tell, but when you admire a gruesome killing, you're certainly further gone from being human.
    Kumoko is fighting every day, sometimes against opponents she shouldn't be able to beat, realistically. Furthermore, she desires to get stronger and stronger. It makes perfect sense she would start to respect strength above all else. That's just the kind of environment the dungeon is. She also ought to be quite desensitized to blood and gore after all this time. She's mostly eating raw flesh and internal organs, to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX
    I can already foresee a situation where, kid finds out Kumoko is to blame for her brothers death, is trying to kill her, even though dragon girl knows who she is, and kid forces her to try and kill Kumoko.
    Or even worse: Kid believes erroneously Kumoko is to blame, Fei knows she's not, yet is forced to fight.

If anyone still thinks Kumoko is the Demon Lord herself with the black and white hair, you weren't paying attention this episode. All I'm saying. One of them was a red herring, and now we have evidence pointing the other way. They showed us.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Nah, this episode gave us the explanation we needed for Kumoko's arc to Demon Lord right at the beginning. There's something with this world where if something drastic doesn't change, the entire world is going to die. It's obvious that whatever her purpose for being a Demon Lord and invading the humans is going to be tied to that.

I can already foresee a situation where, kid finds out Kumoko is to blame for her brothers death, is trying to kill her, even though dragon girl knows who she is, and kid forces her to try and kill Kumoko.
    Maybe, but far more likely, Fei knows what Kumoko knows about the world by that point.

They both have points in Taboo. Shun doesn't, and the psycho zealot girl who is now declared "The Saint" will be looking for it.

Kumoko got the data-dump. Fei probably will at some point. Shun will definitely want to kill Kumoko, and Fei will know Kumoko is at least aware that the world will end unless they do something drastic (like conquer the world?). She just won't be able to go against Shun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    If anyone still thinks Kumoko is the Demon Lord herself with the black and white hair, you weren't paying attention this episode. All I'm saying. One of them was a red herring, and now we have evidence pointing the other way. They showed us.

Ryll, if you know the light novel, I find postings like this really shitty You're welcome to comment on the weekly episodes, but the above is a spoiler for me, unless you don't know the light novel and I didn't notice it myself in the episode.

So just in case ...

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Ryll, if you know the light novel, I find postings like this really shitty You're welcome to comment on the weekly episodes, but the above is a spoiler for me, unless you don't know the light novel and I didn't notice it myself in the episode.

So just in case ...
    1) I used to read the manga, and I stopped well before the anime started (edit: because it is glacially slow in comparison). The manga only ever shows Kumoko's POV in the labyrinth, it never shows the other timeline, so that half of the equation is all new to me. The anime will completely eclipse the manga by the time it ends.
    2) I know you don't pay attention, and you fill in gaps that you overlooked with stuff from your head-cannon, so I am confident you missed the previous signs that they were misleading us.
    3) You're a fucking idiot if you missed how obviously telegraphed it was in this episode.

- The white girl's eyes flash before they flare. It's quick, but pause it and count.
    - The survivor informs Shun and the audience that Julius was killed by a rot attack.
    - The episode immediately jumps back to Kumoko after that explanation.
    - She uses a rot attack with her new upgraded eye attack.

The scenes are juxtaposed to make this comparison really obvious. It is a direct contrast to the deliberate misinformation earlier in the season when the show was pretending there weren't two different timelines and they were doing purposeful juxtaposed scenes to try to make it look the other way around. They were pretty smart about the misleads before, but they've flipped it now that the Dragon guy and D revealed themselves and we know concretely they are different timelines. It's clever directorial composition. Not typical for anime.

Are they deliberately misleading us again to make it look like the white girl killed Julius when whatshisface doesn't actually know what happened because he died temporarily before being revived? Maybe. It's possible it is another red herring. I just highly doubt it. They've revealed the two timelines. They've revealed the administrators, they've shown us the "truth" of the world, we've seen the dragon guy again in that flashback. They don't seem to have a lot more things to deliberately mislead us about Kumoko and how she interacts with the world.

But keep bitching about me "spoiling" to cover for you missing all the rather heavy-handed hints in all the series we both happen to be watching this season.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Fri, 03-19-2021 at 06:19 PM.

1) I used to read the manga, and I stopped well before the anime started (edit: because it is glacially slow in comparison). The manga only ever shows Kumoko's POV in the labyrinth, it never shows the other timeline, so that half of the equation is all new to me. The anime will completely eclipse the manga by the time it ends.
    2) I know you don't pay attention, and you fill in gaps that you overlooked with stuff from your head-cannon, so I am confident you missed the previous signs that they were misleading us.
    3) You're a fucking idiot if you missed how obviously telegraphed it was in this episode.

- The white girl's eyes flash before they flare. It's quick, but pause it and count.
    - The survivor informs Shun and the audience that Julius was killed by a rot attack.
    - The episode immediately jumps back to Kumoko after that explanation.
    - She uses a rot attack with her new upgraded eye attack.

The scenes are juxtaposed to make this comparison really obvious. It is a direct contrast to the deliberate misinformation earlier in the season when the show was pretending there weren't two different timelines and they were doing purposeful juxtaposed scenes to try to make it look the other way around. They were pretty smart about the misleads before, but they've flipped it now that the Dragon guy and D revealed themselves and we know concretely they are different timelines. It's clever directorial composition. Not typical for anime.

Are they deliberately misleading us again to make it look like the white girl killed Julius when whatshisface doesn't actually know what happened because he died temporarily before being revived? Maybe. It's possible it is another red herring. I just highly doubt it. They've revealed the two timelines. They've revealed the administrators, they've shown us the "truth" of the world, we've seen the dragon guy again in that flashback. They don't seem to have a lot more things to deliberately mislead us about Kumoko and how she interacts with the world.

But keep bitching about me "spoiling" to cover for you missing all the rather heavy-handed hints in all the series we both happen to be watching this season.
    I'm not "bitching". I was genuinely worried that it might have been a spoiler. You laid out how it wasn't, so everything's fine. Chill.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    I also thought about the white loli being a 15to17 years old Kumoko based on the same details and scenes layout.
    BUT, I wonder why Kumoko would act as a demon lord subordinate. Because we know the demon lord said she'd send someone kill the hero.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

They both have points in Taboo. Shun doesn't, and the psycho zealot girl who is now declared "The Saint" will be looking for it.
    Kumoko is only learning that stuff at max level though. Faye had to perform Kinslaying to get the level she has. Unless helping the Hero has her constantly fighting other Earth Dragons, I'm not sure what would get Faye enough Taboo points.

I KINDA was thinking the same thing. He's obviously talking about the woman that killed the kid's brother. The all-white color scheme and the gravity powers DO fit Kumoko. So it COULD be here.

But the Demon Lord fits Kumoko in more ways than that. Some of which are SPECIFICALLY spider-related. So that's still the obvious pick. Though, like he said, it could be an intentional misdirect.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    BUT, I wonder why Kumoko would act as a demon lord subordinate. Because we know the demon lord said she'd send someone kill the hero.
    It is pretty hard to see a solitary isekai MC, like Kumoko, becoming the underling of a destructive demon lord. Usually in isekai if the MC becomes a demon lord's underling, the demon lord is either not evil, is misunderstood, is a crybaby, etc. I can't currently imagine Kumoko going around slaugtering humans wholesale. Who knows what the stated methods for preventing the world's destruction are, but wouldn't people rather think an isekai MC would find some novel way to do it if the official way is outrageous?

Maybe I'm just too soft, haha.

If we go by the idea that Kumoko was that white loli and she killed Julius, I can only think of strategy. A needed evil to get to a more important goal.
    In her loli form, she's not strong enough to overcome the demon lord... or it is not useful to beat the demon lord to save the world. Or she maybe even needs the demon lord as is for future events. They become allies ? even temporarily ?
    Also, we do not know the limits of that world. It feels like a video game, but at least some souls/spirits feel real.
    Is that some kind of soul upload ? So appart from the classroom souls, everything is virtual, even D's space outside Kumoko's and every other soul's space.
    It might be something entirely different I know. But if Kumoko could reach D's space, as has been implied, she probably has to to save the world. If saving the world even has meaning in that story.

On another note, Kumoko is not that strong yet but she set herself quite a lofty goal: save the world, when even survival is difficult.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    On another note, Kumoko is not that strong yet but she set herself quite a lofty goal: save the world, when even survival is difficult.
    Saving the world is just a byproduct of her survival!

Saving the world is just a byproduct of her survival!
    Convenient MC plot tool

Edit: but sure, if she's alive, so is the world she lives in.

Here's a thought.

Our witness didn't see Julius die, and there was no body.

What if Julius didn't die? What if he lost the Hero skill because he switched sides? He did want humans and demons to live in peace. Maybe he was recruited instead of killed.

Here's a thought.

What if Julius didn't die? What if he lost the Hero skill because he switched sides? He did want humans and demons to live in peace. Maybe he was recruited instead of killed.
    Possible, but that would be a ridiculous amount of red herrings then, lol.

Shun getting the Hero title pretty much confirms Julius' death, unless something really weird and complicated BS happened. The rule stated in the episode is the Hero title is only on one person, and it can't be removed unless they die.

The Administrators are gods, more or less, and we don't know what they can and can't do. But they can do a lot.

I'm going with the explanation given until they hint at something else. Oka removed all the dude's skills, but that one weird one remained. The Hero title is probably like that.

On the other hand, however: When she blushed while Araba was devouring the snake, I really felt like she has lost her humanity. I will add, before someone accusses me of something again, that I'm fine with Kumoko turning into an evil overlord. But it needs to be acknowledged. Whether she is full-on evil by now I can't tell, but when you admire a gruesome killing, you're certainly further gone from being human.
    Why do you equate being and not being human to being evil or not? Not saying you're right or wrong on your appreciation of Kumoko's "alignment", but the being human shouldn't be part of the dichotomy of good vs evil.

Assuming that she is the humanoid spider demonlord, I wonder how attacking human kingdoms fits into her saving the world-plan.
    I would suspect there's some correlation or simply just war between kingdoms. I don't recall if it was mention if there was an invasion or not and who was invading who. But I think seeing all the humanoids so far on the "demon" side should make us question what is human and what is isn't, and if it's simply an arbitrary descriptor of difference in races.

Also only-in-anime: the dragon girl just like that gives up her freedom for her friend to be able to summon her. ooooookay. This is a typical "good for when we are friends, but bad for when we're no longer friends"-idea, and relationships ARE changing over one's lifetime. I mean, I don't expect this anime to portray it that realistically, so it probably won't become a big problem, but I had to facepalm hard when she shackled herself on a whim like that.
    By this point in time they're pretty much brother and sister, no ifs or buts about it.

Here's a thought.

Honestly, I don't see it... but I'm open to anything. With the intrusion of Administrators anything can happen I guess, I just don't see the motivation here particularly when a powerful enemy pretty much destroyed everyone but the one with the Phoenix Down.

All those things aside, I found it funny when she was discussing with her other minds about saving the world that one mentioned delicious food, when all she's been eating has been raw monster guts LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    With the intrusion of Administrators anything can happen I guess, I just don't see the motivation here particularly when a powerful enemy pretty much destroyed everyone but the one with the Phoenix Down.
    Well, if the Demon Lord's actions were actually motivated by saving the world from it's catastrophe, and they actually bothered to explain that to him, I could see him switching sides in order to save the world if they could manage to convince him they were telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Why do you equate being and not being human to being evil or not? Not saying you're right or wrong on your appreciation of Kumoko's "alignment", but the being human shouldn't be part of the dichotomy of good vs evil.

I didn't claim that, in the context of Kumoko admiring the devouring of the snake, Kumoko was "evil". I said she looked like she had truly lost her humanity. A lack of humanity isn't necessarily evil.