Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
Results 521 to 536 of 536

Thread: So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

  1. #521
    Procacious Polymath Ryllharu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    American Empire
    Age
    36
    Posts
    8,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    I've forgotten it already: Is Sophia's master the demon lord or perhaps the pale lady? I'm asking this because Sophia was ordered to spare all the reincarnators.
    It's strongly implied to be Ariel (Body Corrupted) or Kumoko. But we don't know which for certain.

    I would lean toward Kumoko because she's wanted to protect Sophia since they met, and she knows the reincarnators on a personal level, where Ariel's thought patterns are still Ariel's own, but with Kumoko mannerisms and ambition. Also, given that Kumoko knows that the elves have repeatedly attempted to kill Sophia's parents, she would be the one to break the news to Sophia and create that rather prominent hatred Sophia's has for them.

    On the other hand, that fighting style seems more like Ariel's.

  2. #522
    AdmiralKage DarthEnderX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NinjaPirate HQ
    Posts
    8,782
    The mecha are super fucking dumb. At least give them an elven aesthetic, gawd.

    Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Also the white girl absolutely isn't Kumoko, way different personality.
    Same. People have been saying it's likely her, but if it is, something has completely changed her character, which seems unlikely for the protagonist of a comedic story like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    It's strongly implied to be Ariel (Body Corrupted) or Kumoko. But we don't know which for certain.
    Now that you say that, I think there's a strong possibility that, if Ariel destroyed her body at the end of last episode as she appeared to, maybe Kumoko jumped all the REST of her minds into Ariel as well. Body is already there, so that gives her the connection she could follow.

  3. #523
    Vampiric Minion Kraco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Age
    42
    Posts
    17,033
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Now that you say that, I think there's a strong possibility that, if Ariel destroyed her body at the end of last episode as she appeared to, maybe Kumoko jumped all the REST of her minds into Ariel as well. Body is already there, so that gives her the connection she could follow.
    Then who is the pale lady? She has to be someone revelant, being a relatively central character after killing Julius and everything. She also possesses the corruption power, which we know Kumoko has. There's no way she's a totally unrelated character. There has to be some twist, which made her personality so much unlike Kumoko. Of course we don't know about the birth of the vestiges yet, either. You know, they had to be created at some point, so if Kumoko was indeed annihilated at the end of the previous ep, where did those vestiges come from? I feel like there's still a big part of Kumoko's development missing between the end of the previous ep and the situation we are seeing now in the 15 years later scenes.

    Also, the pale lady wanted to go check on the reincarnators. If she has got nothing to do with them, she obviously wouldn't care. Dunno, maybe she's Kumoko who grew up and thus changed.

  4. #524
    AdmiralKage DarthEnderX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NinjaPirate HQ
    Posts
    8,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Then who is the pale lady?
    Red herring #4?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    She has to be someone revelant
    Why? Was the white spider Julius fought relevant?

    No. It was just a vestige. Maybe this girl is just an evolved vestige.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    There's no way she's a totally unrelated character.
    No one said she's unrelated. We just said she's not Kumoko.

  5. #525
    Procacious Polymath Ryllharu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    American Empire
    Age
    36
    Posts
    8,901
    Or maybe she's Kumoko with her memories back? Kumoko is the only student with "No name" so far instead of two, and we know D likes to personally mess with her for funzies.

    Other question, did Sophia "mercifully" tell them to take Yuri (the priestess) away out of concern for an injured reincarnation being hit by a stray attack, or did she casually ask for them to remove Yuri because she's the priestess and Sophia is a vampire progenitor and played it off like it wasn't a huge deal?

    Like the Hero and Demon Lord are keyed to each other and Shun is the only one capable of more easily killing Ariel, are Sophia and Yuri opposed in role?

  6. #526
    AdmiralKage DarthEnderX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NinjaPirate HQ
    Posts
    8,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    Other question, did Sophia "mercifully" tell them to take Yuri (the priestess) away out of concern for an injured reincarnation being hit by a stray attack, or did she casually ask for them to remove Yuri because she's the priestess and Sophia is a vampire progenitor and played it off like it wasn't a huge deal?
    I assume because Ariel ordered "no killing reincarnations", and that includes leaving them to die on the battlefield.

  7. #527
    Yorha Unit- shinta|hikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dystopia
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,807
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wait, did I miss something? I only saw White Lady at the end of the episode. Why is everyone saying her personality is different from Kumoko's?

    I'd like to remind everyone that Kumoko is antisocial. She only seems animated when we watch her because those are monologues. In reality, she barely speaks, just like when she was confronted by the male admin.

    Spunky.

  8. #528
    Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paris & Versailles, France
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,427
    White lady might indeed be Kumoko+old self reincarnated.
    Also, we know past Kumoko can't speak. It might be that although she got to a high level arachne, it still is extremely difficult for her to evolve speech, because her former self was bad a speaking already. And she also seems to not be able to use telepathy.

    All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

  9. #529
    AdmiralKage DarthEnderX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NinjaPirate HQ
    Posts
    8,782
    Quote Originally Posted by shinta|hikari View Post
    I'd like to remind everyone that Kumoko is antisocial. She only seems animated when we watch her because those are monologues.
    No, they've shown her from other people's perspective. She makes all the same exaggerated gestures, and she ABSOLUTELY speaks out loud. Just nobody understands her because she's speaking spider.

    The white lady just seems either bored or listless. She's the complete opposite of noisy, high-strung Kumoko.

  10. #530
    Vampiric Minion Kraco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Age
    42
    Posts
    17,033
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Why? Was the white spider Julius fought relevant?

    No. It was just a vestige. Maybe this girl is just an evolved vestige.
    It was necessary to show a bit of Julius's past, the general power levels of developed giant spiders, plus it made the whole hero party bunch later meeting those things more meaningful. Since we have known all along that Kumoko, being a former human like the other reincarnators, wants to aim for a humanoid form, it's quite natural to think 15 years later should would have achieved that.

    I suppose she could be one of the developed vestiges, though how she would have developed so much without Kumoko being there, is another question. By simply massacring humans? Even if she is like that, I'd still keep sensing Kumoko behind her, even if Ariel doesn't. In such a case, I'd expect Kumoko's real soul to be ready and waiting for a chance to take over, possibly when Ariel shows a moment of weakness. Still, that brings us back to the reincarnators. Would Body's influence in Ariel be enough to make the demon lord want to spare all the reincarnators? To me, it seems more like that has to be Kumoko's direct influence. Like she made a deal with the demon lord to be a part of her army in exchange for ensuring everything will be done to spare the reincarnators. If the Ariel+Body fusion was deep enough, Ariel might stop wanting to slay Kumoko.

  11. #531
    AdmiralKage DarthEnderX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NinjaPirate HQ
    Posts
    8,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    It was necessary to show a bit of Julius's past, the general power levels of developed giant spiders, plus it made the whole hero party bunch later meeting those things more meaningful. Since we have known all along that Kumoko, being a former human like the other reincarnators, wants to aim for a humanoid form, it's quite natural to think 15 years later should would have achieved that.
    Listen, fucker, when you said the white lady had to be someone relevant, you were talking about the character's identity. Not whether the character's scenes or actions were relevant to the overall plot. I'm not suggesting the scenes with the white spider weren't relevant. I'm saying the identity of the white spider wasn't relevant to anything. It's ultimate purpose was merely to serve as a red herring.

    So the white lady's identity could be equally irrelevant. And equally filled with intent to mislead.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Sat, 06-19-2021 at 03:03 AM.

  12. #532
    Procacious Polymath Ryllharu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    American Empire
    Age
    36
    Posts
    8,901
    Quote Originally Posted by shinta|hikari View Post
    Wait, did I miss something? I only saw White Lady at the end of the episode. Why is everyone saying her personality is different from Kumoko's?

    I'd like to remind everyone that Kumoko is antisocial. She only seems animated when we watch her because those are monologues. In reality, she barely speaks, just like when she was confronted by the male admin.
    Agreed. Especially if the whole "she's dead" thing from Oka has been a lie this whole time and Kumoko is in fact Wakaba Hiiro, who Fei bullied in Japan. And Oka's trustworthiness is at an all time zero now that we know the elves have been hiding the fact that they have mecha and high technology. Oka knew exactly where the demon guy was too, she didn't say shit to Shun and Katia. If she didn't want Fei to find Wakaba so she could finally apologize due to the danger the demons present, Oka could have lied. Probably lied.

    The girl in white and Wakaba's cold flat personality with a tendency to avoid conflict matches. Internally a spaz and crazy, externally distant and cold. And we've never seen the girl in white's internal thoughts.

    edit:
    Side note I realized while writing this, I like that Fei has actually had one of the better character development arcs so far. She went from selfish and arrogant in Japan, to bitter and lazy as a pet dragon, hints of responsible when she first took levels in taboo to save her friends and again when she made a pact with Shun, back to haughty and energetic once she acquired a human form, to finally responsible and big picture strategy in this episode.
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Sat, 06-19-2021 at 04:21 AM.

  13. #533
    AdmiralKage DarthEnderX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NinjaPirate HQ
    Posts
    8,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    And Oka's trustworthiness is at an all time zero now that we know the elves have been hiding the fact that they have mecha and high technology.
    I still don't think Oka has any idea that her dad is shady as fuck.

  14. #534
    Procacious Polymath Ryllharu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    American Empire
    Age
    36
    Posts
    8,901
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    I still don't think Oka has any idea that her dad is shady as fuck.
    True, but Oka herself is fake as fuck. Her monologue admitted that her entire persona to her students has always been calculated and fake to the point that she's not even sure what her own personality is supposed to be. It's pretty obvious to the audience and some of the captive students that she's just been manipulative and possessive, wanting to spoon feed knowledge and trivia to her students while being perceived as "cool." It's not quite narcissism, but certainly some kind of self-worth complex.

    She's had a notable shift in personality since Shun's party arrived at the village and learned the truth. That cheerfulness she had in Japan and the magic academy evaporated. Just bittersweet arrogance that all of this is "her job to fix." When you think about it, that's not too far from Hugo's bullshit that this whole place is 'his playground.'

    The class rep is a good example of finally seeing through her. They went from pretty good friends in Japan to someone who absolutely despises her. The only one who hates Oka more is Sophia.

    If she sees most of her students die before they're 20, and sees one that says they live to 500 and is in the demon realm, do you think she's going to tell a lazy pet dragon that they're alive in the demon realm, or pretend that they're dead? Or what if she sees that Shun or Fei die in the demon realm? She will absolutely lie in that instance because she's obsessed with shepherding all of them.

    Yes, all of which Potimas is probably taking advantage of.

  15. #535
    Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paris & Versailles, France
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,427
    I agree with the idea that Oka can lie about Wakaba to protect other students.
    But it's also possible her skill isn't precise enough for Kumoko/Wakaba.
    Kumoko has several minds, we know she has vestiges in the future, and last time we had her on screen she was being hit by the abyss attack she feared so much.
    It's entirely possible that killing Kumoko's main body has Oka's skill tell her she's dead.
    But we know that the other personas are like several other Kumokos, or maybe just something like clones with very close personalities.
    It's unclear how close to the original they are though.

    All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

  16. #536
    AdmiralKage DarthEnderX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NinjaPirate HQ
    Posts
    8,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    She's had a notable shift in personality since Shun's party arrived at the village and learned the truth. That cheerfulness she had in Japan and the magic academy evaporated. Just bittersweet arrogance that all of this is "her job to fix." When you think about it, that's not too far from Hugo's bullshit that this whole place is 'his playground.'
    I agree with that in the sense that they both seem convinced that they are the protagonist of this story. I give her points for good intentions though. She at least thinks it's her job to protect everyone. Whereas Hugo thinks it's his job to spin the world on his dick.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •