Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    I'm glad they finally showed the evolutionary chart, but the format was kinda shitty.
    This was apparently shown in a PV for the anime, not sure when, but now that it has been directly shown in text form, here's a more legible evolution chart. In the episode, her body is sitting in front of the "Arachne.
    Thanks!

She's currently a Zoe Ele still, right? That means she's still 3 evolutions from her goal. Which is actually higher than her mother. I assume she'll take the non-queen path to maintain cuteness.

She's currently an Ede Saine. That evolution maxed out her Taboo and caused her to gain the knowledge that the world was going to end. Very end of episode 10 and the beginning of 11.

Ah, cool. So it's just Zana Horowa, then Arachne.

Wtf, where are you guys pulling these random names? I remember 1 or 2, but even then, how do you know what they mean?

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

You just pay attention when Kumoko decides what she wants to evolve into?

Also, they literally show the chart this episode.

Small Lesser Teratect -> Small Teratect (notably not lesser) -> Small Poison Teratect (magic) -> Zoa Ele (sycthe limbs, rot attack) -> Ede Saine (bigger sycthes, stronger rot, exponentially higher magic, Taboo Level 10) -> Zana Horowa (??) -> Arachne = goal, human face, can get sweets without terrifying villagers (Yeah Right...I bet she's a straight up drider, not a human-form Jorōgumo)
    Last edited by Ryllharu; Fri, 04-09-2021 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    Wtf, where are you guys pulling these random names? I remember 1 or 2, but even then, how do you know what they mean?
    ...Ryl JUST posted a chart.

I bet she's a straight up drider, not a human-form Jorōgumo)
    Totes. Arachnees normally have a big 'ol spider butt.

She'll need an extremely poofy dress.
    Last edited by DarthEnderX; Fri, 04-09-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    I honestly thought she'd just work on transformation magic now that she's good at spells. Maybe they'll get her evolved first before doing that.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

What I find weird when I look at that evolution chart:If this world is set up like a game, then surely EVERYONE must have evolutions like that, right? Even humans. It's weird that we havent seen any human so far that could keep up with the demon lords, even the hero, supposedly the strongest, was killed by an underling of the spider demon lord. Surely there should be humans that have evolved just as much as the top brass of the demon lords, right?

Also, I hope Kumoko evolves into a proper human form, both so that she can have a proper reunion with her friends ... and so that I get to enjoy some quality doujins ;>

What I find weird when I look at that evolution chart:If this world is set up like a game, then surely EVERYONE must have evolutions like that, right? Even humans. It's weird that we havent seen any human so far that could keep up with the demon lords, even the hero, supposedly the strongest, was killed by an underling of the spider demon lord. Surely there should be humans that have evolved just as much as the top brass of the demon lords, right?
    You're thinking about it wrong. Monsters evolve. Humans seem to just always learn Magic. Kumoko and the other spiders only get it from specific evolutions.

But everyone has Titles and can buy Skills.
    - Shun is and his brother was "Hero." Julius probably didn't use it to the full extent, but Shun caused Fei to evolve just by being paired to her.
    - Kumoko has Ruler of Pride and Sloth, which makes her stupid OP all alone, but she also has a ton more titles so far. "Kin Eater" gave her Hersey Magic, "Merciless" gave her more Heresy and resistance. "Thread User"... pretty obvious. "Foul Feeder" gave her poison and rot resistance...etc.
    - Hugo had a stupid amount of skills compared to his classmates including Shun, had them ranked up higher, and had a Title or Skill boosting them further.

You really shouldn't judge anyone using Kumoko as a baseline. She's broken AF due to her extremely aggressive survival instincts and exhaustive level grinding. Humans without Hugo's drive take decades to get where she's gotten in year. Hopefully they'll show us Hugo's stats again now that he's presumably recovered a bunch so we can get a more even frame of reference.

What I find weird when I look at that evolution chart:If this world is set up like a game, then surely EVERYONE must have evolutions like that, right? Even humans.
    In most JRPGs, monsters have evolutions, humans have classes/jobs instead.

I'd love it if there was a setting where humans were just another monster. Like they evolved from, like, barbarians, to High Men, to Angels or something.

---

I DON'T CARE ABOUT THESE FUCKING HUMANS! Stop spending 3/4ths of an episode on them!

What little Kumoko we got was pretty funny though.

So:

- From the opening we know Kumoko is NOT the spider demon lord we've seen
    - That new bitch is probably the teenage form of the baby vampire
    - Maybe the spider demon lord is "mother" after she had enough of Kumoko's bs

Biggest bs: Hugo suddenly has this almight brainwashing ability, even thouse he had his stats reduced to scrap a couple episodes ago. With this ability, why not use it on EVERYONE and become god on earth ...

Most important part, however:
    It can finally be said for sure that Kumoko lost her humanity. She clearly stated that she ATE the human soldiers she killed in the cave. Look, guys, you can bring up your excuses again all you want, but EATING HUMANS is the final no-go when you want to have humanity. :/ On top of that, the way she kept thinking about whether she should help the carriage or not made me furious - people kept dying and she was still making funny deliberations. ffs. Either that's part of her having lost humanity or she was a fucked up student to begin with.

Anyway.

I agree with Darth: Too much human story, too little Kumoko.

- That new bitch is probably the teenage form of the baby vampire
    The baby had a birthmark on her face though. She doesn't.

Yeah, the amount of human story is getting too much for me as well. It wasn't so bad when it was just short clips since it's entirely new material for me. However, if it takes most of the ep and is filled with Schlain being all wishy-washy despite witnessing his father getting murdered right before his eyes, it's just not funny anymore.

It can finally be said for sure that Kumoko lost her humanity. She clearly stated that she ATE the human soldiers she killed in the cave. Look, guys, you can bring up your excuses again all you want, but EATING HUMANS is the final no-go when you want to have humanity. :/ On top of that, the way she kept thinking about whether she should help the carriage or not made me furious - people kept dying and she was still making funny deliberations. ffs. Either that's part of her having lost humanity or she was a fucked up student to begin with.
    I've been saying it all along. You don't get reborn in a giant spider body, live through constant fights to death to stay alive, eat raw flesh straight from the corpses of your fallen enemies, get treated like a horrible monster by random humans every time you meet them, and still retain your full humanity. Life is much better and less painful for her by admitting to herself that she's not a human anymore, as much as she would like to be. Eating humans is merely a minor part of it at that point. After all, she doesn't eat anything simply for the joy of eating, she eats to survive and develop faster. Why waste humans? If humans caught her, I bet they would use her body for whatever alchemy or equipment manufacturing.

You should realise that in the eyes of the human society Kumoko's more akin to the bandits than to the carriage folks. Maybe you'd have been happier if she had helped the bandits, haha. Not that they needed any help. She's not a part of the humanity anymore, so picking either or neither side would have been fine. I suppose she only acted because seeing the baby get mixed into the fight rubbed her the wrong way.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    1) no direct evidence that contradicts Demon Lord being Kumoko. I think they're the same person. She talks a bit like Kumoko right at the end as well.

2) Sophia is the baby. @Darth: That's not a birth mark, that's a mole. And Sophia has a mole.

3) Humans can practice cannibalism while remaining humans thanks.

4) Interestingly, Kumoko doesn't recognise who Negishi (Sophia) is from her previous life.

5) Katia killing herself was pretty impactful. She got rezzed, but I like her so I'm okay with that. I need some decent humans to watch whenever we flick to those parts. Fei looks worse with more obvious 3D stuff going on now.

6) Confirmed now that tantrum Kumoko is just a squealing spider to human perception.

7) The animation this week was shithouse. Short cuts, Randomly rushed frames and audio/visual synchrony problems galore during the revolution segments. I hope it doesn't continue.

Last edited by Buffalobiian; Fri, 04-16-2021 at 12:42 PM.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    2) Sophia is the baby. @Darth: That's not a birth mark, that's a mole. And Sophia has a mole.
    Ah so she does. Definitely her then.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalobiian View Post
    4) Interestingly, Kumoko doesn't recognise who Negishi (Sophia) is from her previous life.
    If she doesn't even recognize when she has her Japanese name, that tells me she wasn't from Kumoko's class(or she doesn't know her own classmates names).

It's good that her scan can recognize fellow reincarnates.

The second half of this episode felt extremely rushed. Just way too much shit crammed into 2/3rds of an episode.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    If she doesn't even recognize when she has her Japanese name, that tells me she wasn't from Kumoko's class(or she doesn't know her own classmates names).

It's good that her scan can recognize fellow reincarnates.
    I think we might want to start asking ourselves why Kumoko doesn't have a name. Not only do her classmates have one...their Japanese names are also listed right fucking there on the appraisal screens. We've just only seen Shun use it before now on classmates, and he always knew who their other names were thanks to Oka bringing them all together.

Even if Kumoko doesn't have a name because she's a spider (so why would she?), why doesn't she have a Japanese name in parentheses? Sophia did, and Kumoko just met her as a baby, and obviously Oka never found her because she's allied with the demons.

Or...maybe Oka tried to, because the elves were deliberately planning to kidnap the baby and kill her parents. The elves are shady as fuck. There's gotta be a reason that Sophia had it out for Oka's father. Sure, it sounded like the Demon Lord ordered her to, but she did it with absolute glee.

Maybe it is related to what Oka said before. That the leading candidate for Kumoko is very much dead. Katia just died too. Maybe this isn't Kumoko's first go around?

But we did get some answers. The half-elf was a spy, but for Shun's non-dirtbag brother. Or she was even hired to be Shun's secret bodyguard for a long time.

It's not unusual that Hugo has a superpower title and it's associated skills that's named after one of the Sins. Kumoko already has two, Pride and Sloth.

I don't care that some people think Kumoko has lost her humanity. Her scenes were hilarious. The agony over finally finding another classmate, but she's so unbearably pretty as a baby, and even gets to be a cool title like a daywalker vampire. The twisted gag that ikemen taste better. The physical comedy. The brilliantly shot quick cuts between her true visual form and her adorable protagonist form, so we get to see that even in front of other humans, she's making these absurd comedic motions as a terrifying monster spider.

Plus she casually slaughtered all the shady as fuck elves, so Sophia wouldn't have to suffer as much as she did in her own infancy. Something apparently went wrong anyway, and Sophia went through some shit in her adolescence...but it's kind hard to say that Kumoko lost her "humanity" when she did that for another classmate that she's legitimately jealous of.

I don't care that some people think Kumoko has lost her humanity. Her scenes were hilarious. The agony over finally finding another classmate, but she's so unbearably pretty as a baby, and even gets to be a cool title like a daywalker vampire.
    Same.

I think people are too hung up on the term "humanity" here and not whether or not she's just a good person. And it was clear from this scene that she'd at least like to be a good person, if her circumstances will allow for it.

This weird notion of "she's a monster now, so she needs to act like a monster" even though most of these isekai are usually about how the monsters are people too, and how the humans can often have less humanity than the monsters.

People keep being like, "It's the circumstances of her birth, so it's fine if she does whatever", but then you have someone like Hugo, who had every human advantage, and is arguably a much bigger monster than Kumoko.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    This weird notion of "she's a monster now, so she needs to act like a monster" even though most of these isekai are usually about how the monsters are people too.
    She does act like a monster. She would have died on day one otherwise.

Monsters aren't usually people in isekai. Demihumans often are, though, but the extent of that varies greatly from series to series. For example, orcs can be either intelligent or merely witless brutes. Goblins are typically cannon fodder monsters, unless the MC is a monster as well, maybe even a goblin himself. Demons most certainly are far more often just another type of people, hardly any more evil than humans. Although translation might be affecting that (what's a demon in an English version might be something else in the Japanese original).

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    Monsters aren't usually people in isekai. Demihumans often are, though, but the extent of that varies greatly from series to series.
    Demihumans ARE monsters. You're trying to distinguish between "monsters that act like people" and "monsters that act like animals", but they're both still monsters.

Whether it's Slime, KonoSuba, Girls in a Dungeon, Overlord, or this, anything that's not a human is a monster. But that has no bearing on whether or not they're people.

The Wolves in Slime are people, they aren't just animals. Likewise, Kumoko is a monster, but she's also a person, she's not just some animal.