Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

After a Japanese classroom was destroyed by a mysterious explosion all the students reincarnated as humans on a fantasy world except for a female student who had the lowest reputation on the classroom, she was reincarnated as a spider monster. Being the weakest monster on the dungeon she need to survive using all her human intellect and courage.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/enc...e.php?id=21180

So I'm a Spider, So What? (Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?) starts tomorrow, and while I was quite worried when the first PV came out (couple of years ago I think), seeing this trailer got my hopes up. The CGI looks much better from what I can tell. I'm a big fan of the light novel, so hopefully this adaptation doesn't crap on it.

Admittedly, part of the charm and what makes the series good is the narrator, so it looks like they'll be keeping a lot of the introspection so that should help (I think). Other than that, hope the action is good and that they don't fuck it up like these LN adaptations usually do *crossing fingers*. I just know this is a hard one to adapt.

So in all, I'm quite excited now... though still being prepared for the worst.

#NaiWa~
    Last edited by Munsu; Thu, 01-07-2021 at 03:45 PM.

ok, that trailer was so dumb im gonna give it a try. But I already know ill be disappointed when she wont kill and eat her former classmates.

The first fictional loli that made me fall for her

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    ok, that trailer was so dumb im gonna give it a try. But I already know ill be disappointed when she wont kill and eat her former classmates.
    Just skip it.

Just watched the first episode, better than I expected... so hopefully it'll do good. Loved the OP/ED, and looks like it's not shying away from gruesome scenes, so that's a plus. Not a fan of CGI, but I didn't have a problem here. The original preview was incredibly bad, but I think this turned out good instead. "Nameless" was quite fun, hoping to see more sarcastic remarks in the future.

The other plot with the other reincarnations is going to need some adjusting to since we're getting a lot of name drops so it can be confusing and I'm not sure how much time we'll spend with them or how things are going to be balanced out, though didn't care much for how they were introduced... they seem boring for now.

One thing I'm unsure of is the MC moving her mouth while talking. I'm not certain she's actually talking, I think she's doing some internal monologue. But entertainment/fun wise, her moving her mouth works better I think. Maybe she think she's talking, while she's really not? I really don't recall if she has the ability talk as a monster, but seem they're capable of speech as we saw with the other pet monster.

But yeah, loved the OP.

Looks like it has 24 episodes announced, so that at least promises us that this is not merely a series to market the LN and we might get a decent adaptation of the story out of it.

In all, pleased so far. Hope you guys enjoy it some.

Fucking bullshit. Everyone knows slimes or rats are the weakest monster. Spiders have poison and web attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEnderX View Post
    Fucking bullshit. Everyone knows slimes or rats are the weakest monster. Spiders have poison and web attacks.
    Spiders are OP!

Well... maybe this dungeon doesn't have slimes or rats?

I don't even recall the manga adaptation having the castle scene with human reincarnations, but maybe it did. It has been years, after all. Nevertheless, I suppose it would be useful to show how short a stick Kumo happened to draw. Underlining it by comparing the delicious looking dishes to Kumo eating the disgusting, poisonous raw frog monster was a nice detail.

The manga version is one of the more entertaining isekai I'm reading. I don't think I'll mind this anime either based on this first ep. Animating the spiders traditionally would have required a Type-Moon class budget, so I understand why it's so obvious CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraco View Post
    I don't even recall the manga adaptation having the castle scene with human reincarnations, but maybe it did. It has been years, after all. Nevertheless, I suppose it would be useful to show how short a stick Kumo happened to draw. Underlining it by comparing the delicious looking dishes to Kumo eating the disgusting, poisonous raw frog monster was a nice detail.

The manga version is one of the more entertaining isekai I'm reading. I don't think I'll mind this anime either based on this first ep.
    I'm trying to recall from the LN as well, not sure if they had first met in the school they mention they'll be just starting together or prior to it. But yeah, as you mention, I think part of it was to show the lavish lifestyle these guys have and their apparent important roles they should occupy in the future for humanity in contrast to the lowly monster that has to eat disgusting monsters and family members to survive.

One thing I'll mention, is that I don't recall (at least in the beginning) Nameless being so energetic and upbeat. Yes, she at times shows some excitement, but never got the vibe of happy-go-lucky I'm currently perceiving.

Animating the spiders traditionally would have required a Type-Moon class budget, so I understand why it's so obvious CGI.
    Did you manage to watch the first PV? It was so bad that I have to think it was a strategy to set low expectations on the animation.

Anyways, the OP.

Last edited by Munsu; Fri, 01-08-2021 at 06:13 PM.

First episode was okay. Her being fine eating raw spider corpse was a bit too rushed imo.

I just wonder how thin you can stretch the premise of the show. So far it's almost a carbon copy of Slime isekai.

Whatever, I'll watch episode 2 for sure.

So far it's almost a carbon copy of Slime isekai.
    I like that she's not instantly OP like Slime.

She even tried to copy Slime's Sage ability and it ended up being useless.

Burning out, no really... David75's Avatar
    Rimuru started from even below 'nameless'. And we've had a proper animation for his slow and long initial growth and learning process.
    The main difference, after ep1, is that Rimuru had a very easy and full of OP level-ups cave because/thanks to Veldora.
    It's probable Kumo will eventually be OP too, but it feels like the pacing will be a little different.
    As of yet, that first ep didn't give me enough to really want to watch ep2.
    I'll watch it anyway, but first ep was boring for my tastes.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening. And then: Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    Did you manage to watch the first PV? It was so bad that I have to think it was a strategy to set low expectations on the animation.
    Actually, I don't honestly remember if I did. Now that I (re?)checked it out, I can certainly see the problem. It looks like a Nintendo Switch game, or something. It's quite interesting how the studio was planning to build hype with such material.

Quote Originally Posted by David75 View Post
    The main difference, after ep1, is that Rimuru had a very easy and full of OP level-ups cave because/thanks to Veldora.
    Yes. That IS the difference. Rimuru was essentially invincible by the end of the first episode.

Hopefully Spider takes a much longer time to get that way, if ever. Because that's the point when the story no longer matters, and you're JUST a gag series after that.

Her being fine eating raw spider corpse was a bit too rushed imo.
    I don't mind it for pace, but I don't recall it coming that easy when I read the LN, even though she was grossed out by it... I think they needed to do a better job of illustrating that plenty of time had passed, or that she was at her limits and at her wit's end for her to "indulge" in such an act. That's how I recall it, but my memory may be failing me.

Yes. That IS the difference. Rimuru was essentially invincible by the end of the first episode.

Hopefully Spider takes a much longer time to get that way, if ever. Because that's the point when the story no longer matters, and you're JUST a gag series after that.
    So I'm a Spider, So What? is more of a Lit-RPG type of series where there's a lot of focus on the leveling up process, though it's pertinent for the full series, I very much doubt the anime can go the route of spending the same amount of time in that process, particularly early stages. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the first 12 episodes are focused on the grind as she goes about fighting stronger opponents.

As Slime is mentioned, for obvious reasons due to similarities, that story doesn't feature much of the struggle to get stronger, this one will do some power-leveling. Personally I enjoy that a lot, but at the same time i can see how reading (watching) a character power-leveling can be a bit dull as well. As I said, a lot of the charm of the series was the main character's narration/introspection and that should keep things entertaining if handled well.

Honestly, it's a shame that we're having So I'm a Spider, So What?, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, and Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation airing in the same season.
    Last edited by Munsu; Sat, 01-09-2021 at 05:45 AM.

I like that she's not instantly OP like Slime.

She even tried to copy Slime's Sage ability and it ended up being useless.
    I mean, she awakens poison/acid immunity the moment she gets hit LOL. That's kinda op.

I mean, she awakens poison/acid immunity the moment she gets hit LOL. That's kinda op.
    Not immunity, resistance... but skill unlocked so probably a matter of time. That said, we don't know the rules of this world yet.

Family Friendly Mascot Buffalobiian's Avatar
    Rimuru gimps himself whenever he isn't using Water Slice. Have you ever seen it blocked? Me neither.

Spider is fun. It also helps that it's cute.

If it's not Isuzu-chan Mii~

Quote Originally Posted by Munsu View Post
    I think they needed to do a better job of illustrating that plenty of time had passed,
    Yeah, cause the spider segments kinda give the impression that the whole thing was taking place over, maybe, a day?

But then you get to her other classmates, and it's obvious they've been in their bodies for awhile now.

I agree. Though if that's normal for the world, then it's technically not OP as anyone can do it.

I assume this is following the novels and not the manga then. I understand the manga cuts a lot out, and even then it is a slow half-chapter monthly update.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryllharu View Post
    I assume this is following the novels and not the manga then. I understand the manga cuts a lot out, and even then it is a slow half-chapter monthly update.
    Haven't read the manga, but I would assume the light novel will be the main source for the adaptation.