Thread: Kaijuu No. 8

Kaijuu No. 8

Grotesque, Godzilla-like monsters called "kaijuu" have been appearing around Japan for many years. To combat these beasts, an elite military unit known as the Defense Corps risks their lives daily to protect civilians. Once a creature is killed, "sweepers"—working under the Professional Kaijuu Cleaner Corporation—are left to dispose of its remains.

Kafka Hibino, a 32-year-old man, is unsatisfied with his job as a sweeper. From a young age, he has aspired to join the Defense Corps and kill kaijuus for a living. After a few failed attempts, however, he gave up on his dreams and resigned himself to the mediocrity that provided a decent paycheck. Nevertheless, when an ambitious, 18-year-old recruit named Leno Ichikawa joins his cleaning team, Kafka is once again reminded of his desire to join the military.

Following a chain of unfortunate events and an interaction with the junior sweeper, Kafka encounters a parasite-type kaijuu that forces its way in through his mouth—turning him into a humanoid monster. With his newfound powers, Kafka aims to give his lifelong dream a final try.
    -----------------
    -----------------

Episode 1 and 2:

Of course, gotta watch this.

But damn, the "comedy" is ruining this completely. The scene where he punches the kaijuu in episode 2? Would have been cool. Except the anime spent 10 minutes before that on a "funny" chase scene from the hospital. :/

This anime is so full of these "comedy faces"-scenes that I hate Boku no Hero Academia for, except it's even worse here, because the basic premise is serious. The final scene with the girl hoisting the car would have been cool, too, except AGAIN: "funny" scenes everywhere. That shit is so obnoxious.

"She's the only non-loli girl in the show, your honor!" will be my defense in court

Awesome user with default custom title neflight86's Avatar
    1-3

I shouldn't have slept on this so long. I'd heard it was nothing unique in the shounen genre, which isn't untrue; dude is told to give up their dream- a chance encounter with power gives them another venue for success, ect... but there's a lot to like here in the execution. I would say this beginning arc is most reminiscent of My Hero Acedemia tonally and structurally, which was one of that show's best parts. Of note is that both the OP and ED are in english (and kinda slap if pop rock is your thing).

Quote Originally Posted by MFauli View Post
    But damn, the "comedy" is ruining this completely. The scene where he punches the kaijuu in episode 2? Would have been cool. Except the anime spent 10 minutes before that on a "funny" chase scene from the hospital. :/

AGAIN: "funny" scenes everywhere. That shit is so obnoxious.
    They would bother me as well if the jokes missed more than they landed, but I get a solid smile to a light chuckle out of at least 75%. And they don't wear out their welcome because the pacing is refreshingly snappy, so nothing is lingered on long enough to feel detracting. Then again, I recall you preferring any anime dealing with death to have a tonality adjacent to Gantz, so you may wear your gritted teeth down to nubs by the end of this.

Either way, a super solid show that is surprisingly normie friendly. Strongly recommended.